stumby

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P90D
Country flag
The airplane steering wheel is cool in theory but I don't think it'll make production. Too impractical and not having a full wheel to grab is going to cause issues for most drivers. Can you imagine drivers trying to grab the wheel and missing when trying to take over from autopilot in an emergency situation.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
This thread deserved to be bumped back to the front page because there are a plethora of tiny details in these videos you can't get anywhere else.
The last video has a half decent low shot of the door openings and floor as you get in.
No one is even talking about the blade heating/cooling system which appears to be a line in the dash behind the monitor.

In several videos they point the camera out the back window. Then look at the sides of the inside of the bed, the LED lighting reveals the reflection of the tailgate's rails. The reflections appear bent because of some wheel arch intrusion. The sides of the inside of the bed are not completely flat.
HAHA! I FOUND A CURVED SURFACE! It's in the first video at the 3:00 mark.

So there is NOT a complete lack of a wheel arch.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck test ride videos CYBRTRK_bed_wheelarch

SEER

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, ZR-2, K3500 dually, Cybertruck
Country flag
Sorry gotta disagree on this one. That picture is of a distorted reflection of the drop gate.
It's flat. What you're seeing is reflected lighting/image outside of the truck. Here’s another angle...

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck test ride videos 10673668-E94E-4A29-BF8A-80FB8C8442F7

Last edited:

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Well, what's distorting the reflection?
At 6:30 of this video you can see it on both sides.
At 4:15 of this video you see it on both sides.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
They (Elon) have already said they can't stamp the steel. That would be the only way to achieve the shapes you are seeing.

Sorry, flat panels in there.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Maybe its the reflection of the lights on the other side of the bed, mixed with the reflection of those same lights off the floor of the bed.
But it still looks curved to me.

In the first video I posted (in post #7) at the 6:36 mark, right before he moves the camera away, there is an orange light from outside the truck that is reflected. There is a clearly defined edge to the reflection.
I'm telling you, THAT panel on THAT prototype truck, is bent. There is no other explanation.

The inside of the door pillars certainly looks stamped. I guess that's a different grade of stainless.
It's only the three millimeter thick of 30? grade steel that can't be stamped. They are keeping the exact grade of stainless used in the body a trade secret for now. Three millimeters is some THICK steel.

Last edited:

SEER

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But it still looks curved to me.
I agree. It appears bent but the video is taken through the rear window.
"Snell's law (also known as Snell-Descartes law and the law of refraction) is a formula used to describe the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction, when referring to light or other waves passing through a boundary between two different isotropic media, such as water, glass, or air."

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I do not wish to do this to you, but...
In some other forums I use the name "Optic Delusion", because my father is an optician and as a youngster I received training to become an optician, but i never got into the family business because by that time the big box stores had monopolized the optician business and negated my training's usefulness. For a short while I was a professional optician. An optician makes lenses.
You want proof? This is from 2006. https://forums.bzflag.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4227&start=150#p65184

In the videos above, the air-glass-air boundary is indeed producing some refraction, but everything is refracted in the exact same manner. This will not produce the appearance of some metal being bent while other parts are straight, unless of course the glass is bent or of varying thickness and acting as a lens.
My semi-professional opinion is that the law of refraction does not describe the reflections seen above.

Are you saying the glass is bent or of varying thickness?

SEER

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've no idea.
Touché! : )
I don’t see it here but I'll email Tesla and ask.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck test ride videos 3CECEE40-0A50-4A04-A6C4-88CAF0D0BC31

Last edited:

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I have heard the exoskeleton is cold rolled steel. The inner structure is not hardened steel and you can see evidence of this in the door frames. The internal structure can be stamped and is part of the safety of the CT. As the structure crumples in an accident it work hardens a absorbs the energy. This piece could be part of the structure.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Let's not forget about the power of heat and what that can do to an optically flat piece of steel.

Warping is common when flat panels are welded together. A trained welder can straighten warped metal with heat. We do it at work, and it's amazing what can be accomplished with a torch and rosebud tip. I'm sure they can produce very good results when the CT is in production, but seam welding joints will warp a flat panel.

I suspect the interior of the bed is not the 30X cold rolled stainless steel. Maybe it will be in production models, or it was in the prototype pictured above, but I agree there is panel warping in the videos, albeit pretty minor. Time will tell as to how good the final production models will be.

@Saskateam is right, there will be stamped pieces used on this truck. Inner door panels, dash supports, suspension weldments, etc. I really hope they all are made of some type of stainless steel, but chances are they will not. Although the exo-skeleton might not rust, the inner door panels may well rust away over time, in-spite of the doors exterior panel.
Sponsored