Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
There are plenty of grades of stainless that can be stamped. It could easily be that they use one of them for the inside. Regular steel would need to be painted, wouldn't it? There's also the problem of dissimilar metals producing galvanic corrosion.
Did they say the exoskeleton is THREE MILLIMETERS THICK. That's a lot. That's why it needs to be scored before it's even bent, not so much the 20? grade of SS.
I imagine it's cut into only three major peices, a top and two sides, then add one piece for each door, front bumper and tailgate. Total of seven chunks of the thick steel. I wonder if they could cut the top and sides out of one giant peice, and fold it up like origami... laser cutting is pretty accurate nowadays.
Sponsored

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
They are using 3mm cold rolled steel for the exoskeleton. The frame can be the same 30X stainless steel just not cold rolled (work hardened) and thinner so it would stamp.

MARSROVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Occupation
Ed.
Country flag
The airplane steering wheel is cool in theory but I don't think it'll make production. Too impractical and not having a full wheel to grab is going to cause issues for most drivers. Can you imagine drivers trying to grab the wheel and missing when trying to take over from autopilot in an emergency situation.
I assume and hope it doesn't make it to production. However, remember, Elon wants to kill the steering wheel altogether.
Sponsored