Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Lets keep it simple, ALL computer programs/networks that have a backdoor can and have been hacked.
Fixed it for you. Even just time will give use computers capable or breaking previous generations' passwords. It's a constant struggle to keep systems relevant.

One of the services I use runs a SCO unix install. But even it has been virtualized and the passwords and email handling have had to be slowly carved back so it keeps up with today's standards.

-Crissa

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Anything that can be accessed can be hacked. The only way to protect Teslas or any EV that is so computer-based, is to have a physical disconnect that even the Tesla Corp cannot access, but rather alerts you through some secure method, and alerts you to open this pathway, and that pathway might close automatically after 3 minutes; and, if a longer download is necessary, that may be selectable by the vehicle owner through the menu.

Something needs to happen that a future hacker cannot remotely gain access to a fleet of Teslas, simply by hacking Tesla HQ. This is the one weakness that all this technology has, you won't ever hack a 1984 Chevy truck. peace

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Anything that can be accessed can be hacked. The only way to protect Teslas or any EV that is so computer-based, is to have a physical disconnect that even the Tesla Corp cannot access, but rather alerts you through some secure method, and alerts you to open this pathway, and that pathway might close automatically after 3 minutes; and, if a longer download is necessary, that may be selectable by the vehicle owner through the menu.

Something needs to happen that a future hacker cannot remotely gain access to a fleet of Teslas, simply by hacking Tesla HQ. This is the one weakness that all this technology has, you won't ever hack a 1984 Chevy truck. peace
What about removing ALL backdoors/undocumented portals?

If anyone attempts entry , lets say 3 or 2 or...times and they are not authorized (by YOU), to your computer then your computer shuts down and you will have to hook it up to a thumb/flash drive, external hard drive or whatever in order to get it going again.

This drive (your thumb/flash...) could be securely kept off the net - unless one wanted to forego this security - and NEVER hacked or violated unless YOU do it.

But we KNOW why there are backdoors/undocumented portals....

Last edited:

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag

If anyone attempts entry , lets say 3 or 2 or...times and they are not authorized (by YOU), to your computer then your computer shuts down and you will have to hook it up to a thumb/flash drive, external hard drive or whatever in order to get it going again.

This drive (your thumb/flash...) could be securely kept off the net - unless one wanted to forego this security - and NEVER hacked or violated unless YOU do it.

Many techniques can be used, but too, the key is they have to not be accessible to hackers. And, even if something physical or other, this cannot be known, and maybe it would be different from owner to owner, so it's not even guessable. In reality, there could be a hacker or two right here, grabbing whatever info or ideas they can.

Too, as we age, even we can forget some critical things for access, I know. I've had websites shut me out from missing my proof 3x in a row... and that was ME. I think whatever the is done, needs to be relatively age proof (when the mind isn't so sharp, or even if the mind fails), so as to not favor those younger with better mental faculties alone. peace

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag

Even if there was no backdoors, there will always be a front door who’s primary reason for existence is opening. We used to think our keys made us special until someone figured out how to copy them. Then it was our passwords. Now it is our fingers and eyeballs. It has always been a fight between a designer and a hacker and any of them can only win sometimes. Even when a good AI and evil AI continue this fight, it will still be the same two dudes behind the scene having the same old fight.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Wow, this thread has gotten pretty heated pretty fast...

Sorry OP!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, the existence of hardware is itself a point of weakness.

People are taking angle grinders to steal Priuses now - it at least their valuable innards. At that point, it's really hard to secure anything.

-Crissa

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Yeah, the existence of hardware is itself a point of weakness.

People are taking angle grinders to steal Priuses now - it at least their valuable innards. At that point, it's really hard to secure anything.

-Crissa
Many young today cannot figure out how to use a rotary phone nor can they do simple mathematics (unless they have a calculator).

So older - pre electronics- ICE vehicles with a particular wire undone will confound many, then add a stick shift into the melee and a sheer "mental breakdown" will ensue!

Heck the more older ICE vehicles are hated the more I take care of mine.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Many young today cannot figure out how to use a rotary phone nor can they do simple mathematics (unless they have a calculator).

So older -
The person who's stealing a car will know how to undo that.

The only reason it confounds them is because it's weird and who wants to steal a car that's probably broken? That doesn't mean it can't be stolen. It also means you have to un-do whatever you did every time - which is also a weakness, since you reveal the secret every time you try to use your vehicle.

-Crissa

PS, Most people couldn't do math before calculators. And rotary phones are just weird. Give them a minute alone and they'll figure it out.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag

So older - pre electronics- ICE vehicles with a particular wire undone will confound many, then add a stick shift into the melee and a sheer "mental breakdown" will ensue!

Heck the more older ICE vehicles are hated the more I take care of mine.
Totally with you on that one. The only way to make a vehicle really secure is to make sure it is the least attractive in the bunch. Like those city bikes in Amsterdam. Making Tesla’s sexy is totally wrong way to go. In fact next time you hear someone calls Cyber truck ‘hedious’, don’t argue. It is a security feature we don’t want to break. I won’t be surprised if your warranty is void if you try to take the ugly out of the truck. Personally, I like the look but I will try to keep it to myself.
Sponsored