DAily Caller: Are Electric Vehicles A Scam?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A little clarification? Are you talking about at home parking or parking in town?
At home yes there is little problem with getting power and a place to park. The only issue we have here is our local utility is really not that into upping the power rating at homes if that becomes necessary to add a 50 amp charger to your breaker box. As far as parking lots we don't pay there either but none have any charging infrastructure and probably wont ever get it installed. Even on the campus public charging is non existent.
If you have 50a service to a home, you're effectively saying they can't have electric ovens, dryers, AC, etc. EVs are really far down the line, and like Ogre points out, Level 1 charging can suffice.

And if you say, replace a mercury vapor street lamp with an LED array, you now easily have L1 (maybe even low L2) charging power levels available at the pole. LEDs are up to 10x more power efficient.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
If you have 50a service to a home, you're effectively saying they can't have electric ovens, dryers, AC, etc. EVs are really far down the line, and like Ogre points out, Level 1 charging can suffice.

And if you say, replace a mercury vapor street lamp with an LED array, you now easily have L1 (maybe even low L2) charging power levels available at the pole. LEDs are up to 10x more power efficient.

-Crissa
I think you misunderstood my question and comments, there is little problem, as in almost none. The few problems we have were listed, most people here wont have a problem.

Many people here use swamp coolers, gas stoves and heaters. Many electric stoves only draw 30A and that is if you run all burners and oven, the higher capability ones can draw as much as 60A. You can still run both at the same time on a 50A service as long as you don't go all out. You might even be able to manage L2 charger on 50A service if you keep charge rate throttled down. I just doubt you will get an electrician willing to install one with that service. They would probably be hesitant to install one on a house with 100A service if they are all electric and refrigerated air/heat pump.

As far as the lamps, you know that, I know that, heck I bet my dogs know that. People just aren't installing them here.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The assumptions were bad, so the results were bad.

But there always are things to think about... Like, I've looked at some of the charging solutions. I want to charge off-peak with a timer, right? Well, just a single demand adapter can cost the same as the total peak-energy cost for charging my bike for three years. And that's ridiculous.

However... That's mostly because charging an EV is so cheap! Charging a Cybertruck at my peak charge all year would cost about $1075. Still, a Tesla wall charger even at $400 is a big chunk in comparison to it. (My car cost about $1250 in the same fueling miles last year)

So 'is the timer worth it' vs my bike that only uses about 8 kWh from home a week.

-Crissa

Last edited: