Dep

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Wondering if it’s possible to daisy chain my charging setup at night. Was thinking:

Wall Connector > Cybertruck > Model Y

First, is this possible? Second, is this a bad idea? Or should I just install a second wall connector?

Thanks to this amazing community in advance!
Sponsored

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
You are going to cause unnecessary stress on your batteries and charging systems, along with loosing some energy due to resistance.
In a pinch it would work, if it is where you are going to keep the vehicles charge each one with a different charger or one at a time.

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
Its likely a bad idea because it will be inefficient. Every connection causes resistances and losses. Not to mention the CT likely has to run a inverter for the output which is more losses.

Instead order a smart Y splitter like the "Lectron NEMA 14-50 Socket Splitter", or another brand. They will turn one wall socket into 2, but only charge 1 vehicle at a time automatically. When the draw on the "priority" socket drops, it then will supply the 2nd socket.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Wondering if it’s possible to daisy chain my charging setup at night. Was thinking:

Wall Connector > Cybertruck > Model Y

First, is this possible? Second, is this a bad idea? Or should I just install a second wall connector?

Thanks to this amazing community in advance!
The last that I hear was that the AC ports were disabled when charging. Of course once you realize that they both use the same components, but reverse the direction, it makes sense.

The Tesla Wall connectors have the ability to communicate and you can place 2 on the same circuit and they will manage your charging appropriately.

Right now, my wife and I alternate plugging in. Pluggin in to a single 120V 15A wall plug.

With 40A 240V service, the one car will probably be charged before you go to sleep.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
I don't believe the Cybertruck currently supports Power Share while charging itself. It seems to use the same conversion hardware. Perhaps with a future update, but it would have to be at reduced input and output rates.

OP
OP

Dep

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
The last that I hear was that the AC ports were disabled when charging. Of course once you realize that they both use the same components, but reverse the direction, it makes sense.

The Tesla Wall connectors have the ability to communicate and you can place 2 on the same circuit and they will manage your charging appropriately.

Right now, my wife and I alternate plugging in. Pluggin in to a single 120V 15A wall plug.

With 40A 240V service, the one car will probably be charged before you go to sleep.

I have a wall connector and my electrician is saying the second one will need its own breaker—is this not true?

Thanks for your help I’m grateful for it!

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Yea you definitely need another breaker unless there is some kind of shutoff that will only allow one charger to be used at once.
48Amps is WAY to much to go through a standard 60A breaker if you have a typical install and try to put two chargers on that one breaker.
You may have to check your main panel specs to make sure you have the service to handle two 48A chargers at the same time, especially if you have an older house and a 100A service.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I have a wall connector and my electrician is saying the second one will need its own breaker—is this not true?

Thanks for your help I’m grateful for it!
Gen 3 Wall Connector Single Phase (tesla.com)
Check out Power Sharing.
It appears that they recommend different breakers, but they can all be on the same breaker from the main panel.

They will cooperate with each other though.