Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Never driven a Tesla with only the center console display hub before but i can see it would drive me nuts to have to look over at it for basic stats like speed and battery charge.

The long wide and flat dashboard seems wasted negative space in the design when Tesla puts so much effort into design elements.. Just seems a failure to think through and utilize that space in a modern Tesla esque design style.

My thought would be to use the dashboard surface as an e paper display screen directly in front of the driver for the most basic driving stats like speedo, battery charge, turn signals and odometer. Similar tech to a Kindle where the surface doesn't look like a "screen" but basic text/numbers can be displayed. They could even make the speed display all futuristic and minimalist. Just enough to keep your attention focused on the road in a way that everyone is already accustomed to.

They wouldn't even need to change the dashboard style.. Just embed the screen tech into that section on drivers side.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Why not, I'd use it for making pretty patterns on the dash. But eink isn't that cheap, and the energy savings would be meaningless in comparison to a LCD or OLED, that would also be colour. If anything a holographic HUD would be more appropriate for that, so you don't have to look down or refocus your eyes to check your speed.

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
E-paper displays are less affected by ambient lighting issues than a HUD. Also huds would require more space for that tech which would impinge upon the flat dashboard surface aesthetic, as you have to both hide the hud source screen from the user, and place it in such a way that will reflect off the windshield properly. Whereas the e paper screen could be the whole drivers side surface giving you a massive speed digit display if you desired, or be turned off and appear as a basic no tech dashboard if desired.

I have no problem with a hud option either, just trying to think about what would best fit into the existing design with minimal changes or modifications.
Sponsored