Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-5, Ford Transit
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Country flag
I completely get what you are saying with opportunity cost, I'm pretty strict with my finances and where they go. The biggest thing with the FSD option for me is locking in a price with no commitment to actually purchase and see what happens in the future.

It's possible that FSD subscription would be cheap enough to balance the cost over a long period vs an upfront cost. But if Tesla actually reaches their goals and gets their FSD system to level 4 or 5, that's worth way more than 7000 to have in my truck.

I'm sure everyone knows how great it would be to have a level 5 vehicle that you can have to drive you home from a bar or just save on parking if you are going to an event and the truck can just drive to a lot with free parking or back home if it's close.
That could still be quite a few years away depending on when Tesla is legal and when the government decides it's legal. But just some of the features that will come before that is enough for me to put down 7000 without a second thought.

self parking and smart summon will be extremely cool to have when all the kinks are worked out. Especially on those days where the rain starts to downpour out of no where and i don't have my umbrella.
level 3 which i really don't think is far away for at least the highways since so many companies have been talking about how they are waiting for approval for these features. Being able to go on a long drive with my wife or friends and not watch the road constantly would be nice.

Now I'm a bit different than you, I don't plan to ever get rid of the Cybertruck. I'm pretty sentimental; I have my first truck and my first car still, both with incredibly high miles on them. When I get the Cybertruck, my truck will finally be retired and i'll probably fix it up one last time until it looks like new and then i'll just take it out for the nostalgia once in a while. My wife will probably want my car. I'll use the Cybertruck for everything, probably for 20+ years, and even if I decide to someday upgrade in the future with some futuristic Tesla that doesn't have a steering wheel and it's just some sort of self driving lounge on wheels. I'll always want a vehicle that I can drive myself once in a while.

...A hover vehicle would be the only thing I would want even more than the Cybertruck, but even if Tesla can make the Model S Plaid+ hover like they want to do, I doubt it'll be able to enough to drive it around for a very long time.
Hahaha, I am not looking forward to the day everyone is hovering around:) The image in my head is a gigantic bumper ride.

Ya, so many decisions to make.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Heleuma

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-5, Ford Transit
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Country flag
I confirmed this with a sales rep that if you can show (which they will have record of in their system) that you reserved FSD and didn't make any other changes to your order they will honor the reserved price even if it shows at $10k now on your reservation. Mine switched to $10k when opened it to edit but didn't actually make any changes so I freaked out and called tesla and they confirmed they will honor the $7k. Now if you delete FSD and then add it back that may be a different story because technically you made an edit. I know this may be odd, but with the crazy material escalation I really think these advertised numbers are going to increase. If they build the same truck they planned to build last year they are definitely going to have at least a 30% increase in material cost. Copper and steel are up 30%, glass is up, chips cost more I am sure. I would hope that they would honor their advertised price (without making a lesser truck) for at least a year or at least let reservation holders that will commit to buy keep their numbers. That being said it would seem prudent to order 2 or 3 with different options so that they can't increase your price if you make a change.
So I wish I would have called BEFORE deleting mine, thanks for checking and following up! Thankfully I'm still ok with my decision to lease it instead. What would be great is if you could lease it by the hour:) Had a drink at dinner... rent FSD. Tired after work... rent FSD

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
So I wish I would have called BEFORE deleting mine, thanks for checking and following up! Thankfully I'm still ok with my decision to lease it instead. What would be great is if you could lease it by the hour:) Had a drink at dinner... rent FSD. Tired after work... rent FSD
The only potential pitfall of your calculations of going subscription over an outright purchase is that there is no calculation for possible (and definitely eventual) increases in subscription costs. If the costs do continue to increase for FSD outright purchase, it could potentially add some value to the used vehicle. Currently it does not add much to the used value but I would contribute that to the fact FSD is not out but in limited numbers of vehicles and is not fully completed. Once FSD is fully functional (though it will continually be enhanced) those used vehicles with it I would imagine would gain some value overnight.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I was reading a thread in the Tesla Motors Club website and there was a discussion about different possible subscriptions that Tesla could do with FSD. One thing that strikes me as odd is that Tesla only offers monthly premium connectivity instead of something like 1 month, 6 months, 1 year at different rates.

It's possible that they will do the same thing with FSD and require it be a monthly subscription. Some of the ideas that people were talking about on the other website was things like a weekend purchase, or daily, or even a per mile purchase. Maybe if you have a Tesla, especially if Tesla manages to get Robotaxi approved, you might be able to buy like 500 miles of FSD and use them as you want. It would be really beneficial for people who don't have FSD but decide that they really don't feel like driving much that day.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The only potential pitfall of your calculations of going subscription over an outright purchase is that there is no calculation for possible (and definitely eventual) increases in subscription costs. If the costs do continue to increase for FSD outright purchase, it could potentially add some value to the used vehicle. Currently it does not add much to the used value but I would contribute that to the fact FSD is not out but in limited numbers of vehicles and is not fully completed. Once FSD is fully functional (though it will continually be enhanced) those used vehicles with it I would imagine would gain some value overnight.
I've been saying the same thing a lot. Right now FSD vs Autopilot isn't really all that different since you have to continuously monitor the vehicle and keep your hands on the wheel. Once level 3 is approved for highway driving and all of a sudden you can read a book or watch TV and you only need to be ready to take over when the system tells you, I could imagine a large spike in resale value for vehicles with FSD happening immediately.

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
Fsd goes with the car to the new owner.
According to cleantechnica.com they stated back in february...

"For those unfamiliar with the issue, Tesla's FSD, which is now priced at $10,000, is currently not transferable to another car. So, if a Tesla owner decides to purchase another Tesla, they have to buy FDS again for that new car. They can't transfer their previous FSD purchase to their new car.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
According to cleantechnica.com they stated back in february...

"For those unfamiliar with the issue, Tesla's FSD, which is now priced at $10,000, is currently not transferable to another car. So, if a Tesla owner decides to purchase another Tesla, they have to buy FDS again for that new car. They can't transfer their previous FSD purchase to their new car.
That's exactly what they were stating. They said FSD goes with the car to the new owner. Not that FSD goes with the owner to the new car.

If you end up selling your Tesla to someone else or to a used car dealership, that vehicle keeps the FSD option for the new owner. Hopefully the resale value for FSD increases in the next year or so when Tesla reaches level 3 for at least highway driving.

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That's exactly what they were stating. They said FSD goes with the car to the new owner. Not that FSD goes with the owner to the new car.

If you end up selling your Tesla to someone else or to a used car dealership, that vehicle keeps the FSD option for the new owner. Hopefully the resale value for FSD increases in the next year or so when Tesla reaches level 3 for at least highway driving.
Didnt the youtuber "Rich Rebuilds' say or some other youtuber say that you wouldnt be able to do that because 1) if you sell the car it doesnt increase the sell price if you have FSD and 2) most of the cars that he rebuild wouldnt allow him full self driving even if it was previously purchased and the car was telling him he needed to re-buy FSD package?

could have been another guy who bought a car from car max and it didnt give him full self driving... there was an article about it... ill see if i can find it

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

I found another article back in February again... not sure if they change this but....

since it doesnt add to the value of the car being sold you wont be able to transfer it to a new owner. Also, being a software upgrade and nothing tangible to the car itself the new owner would be able to buy the FSD software are a 66% discounted rate. $3,300 for used teslas and previously purchased it does not transfer over

https://www.barrons.com/articles/the-curious-case-of-teslas-used-car-purchases-51614288443

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Didnt the youtuber "Rich Rebuilds' say or some other youtuber say that you wouldnt be able to do that because 1) if you sell the car it doesnt increase the sell price if you have FSD and 2) most of the cars that he rebuild wouldnt allow him full self driving even if it was previously purchased and the car was telling him he needed to re-buy FSD package?

could have been another guy who bought a car from car max and it didnt give him full self driving... there was an article about it... ill see if i can find it
There was an article about a used car dealership purchasing a car with FSD from a Tesla auction, it was then sold to someone and later Tesla turned off the FSD option because apparently the car was never supposed to have FSD. I never followed up on that story but i'm assuming that with enough proof that the option was included with that car listed in the auction catalog, then Tesla probably turned it back on.

Now I don't watch Rich Rebuilds, but i'm assuming since it's called 'rebuilds' because he probably rebuilds salvaged cars. I'm sure Tesla probably has all their vehicles in some sort of database and there would be no reason to have FSD enabled on some car that was declared a total loss.

I'm sure if i buy extended warranty for my car, and then that car is declared a total loss in an accident, whoever rebuilds it isn't going to have that extended warranty anymore. If you have FSD and sell a vehicle with FSD to another person, the vehicle still has it.

Now for reasoning behind FSD not increasing resale value, I would say that's just sellers not being good sales people. If you sell it back to Tesla, FSD has no value to them so obviously they won't pay more for it. If you sell it to a used car dealership, they are going to try to completely ignore it's value. Now if you sell it in a private sale, it's up to you to get some value out of it. It can be hard to get value in a private sale from FSD because the buy could just say they don't care about FSD since it doesn't give many additional features right now. Most people who buy FSD are paying an investment for what the vehicle will be able to do in 1, 3, 5, or even 10 years from now.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I found another article back in February again... not sure if they change this but....

since it doesnt add to the value of the car being sold you wont be able to transfer it to a new owner. Also, being a software upgrade and nothing tangible to the car itself the new owner would be able to buy the FSD software are a 66% discounted rate. $3,300 for used teslas and previously purchased it does not transfer over

https://www.barrons.com/articles/the-curious-case-of-teslas-used-car-purchases-51614288443
Just read the article and I guess i was wrong. Hard to argue with an article that says something that I can really find in any posts relating to Tesla and they don't offer any references of where they got their information.

I mean this article could possibly just be looking at the price difference between two similar used Teslas, one with FSD and one without. It doesn't say where it gets it gets its information and I have never once seen or heard of Tesla offering FSD activation for a vehicle that was purchased used.

I don't see any motivation for Tesla to basically let people show that they bought a used Tesla to get a 67% discount. If this company is trying to say that you won't get a full $10,000 from someone in a Tesla resale when the cost to get it from Tesla is also $10,000 then I could completely agree. People buy used to save money, not spend the same amount.

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
well w
Just read the article and I guess i was wrong. Hard to argue with an article that says something that I can really find in any posts relating to Tesla and they don't offer any references of where they got their information.

I mean this article could possibly just be looking at the price difference between two similar used Teslas, one with FSD and one without. It doesn't say where it gets it gets its information and I have never once seen or heard of Tesla offering FSD activation for a vehicle that was purchased used.

I don't see any motivation for Tesla to basically let people show that they bought a used Tesla to get a 67% discount. If this company is trying to say that you won't get a full $10,000 from someone in a Tesla resale when the cost to get it from Tesla is also $10,000 then I could completely agree. People buy used to save money, not spend the same amount.
With our collective knowledge and scouring of the internet Im just stoked to have this knowledge incase I have to "play the game" in the Tesla world.

Cyberon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKX
Country flag
At 65 and retired I'm still in relatively good shape. I ride my bike 10-15 miles a day and pretty active, but...
I've seen the aging process in previous generations of drivers.
Sight, reaction response time, indecisiveness, etc... It's before all of us.
The FSD option was a no brained for me.
No one is gonna put Baby in a corner!
?
Sponsored