Did you notice the Cybertruck has built in steps?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
All the time I hear people say the Cybertruck with the slanted sails will make it imposible to reach into the bed from the side of the truck. I just noticed the black areas around the Cybertruck have built in Step points so you can access all around it and into the bed. Even to get to the windshield.
Tesla Cybertruck Did you notice the Cybertruck has built in steps? stepside
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
All the time I hear people say the Cybertruck with the slanted sails will make it imposible to reach into the bed from the side of the truck. I just noticed the black areas around the Cybertruck have built in Step points so you can access all around it and into the bed. Even to get to the windshield.
stepside.jpg
Good eye, that will be handy.

I think people are making too big of a deal about the sail sides limiting access to the bed. Here's why: I have a stock 2010 F-150 4x4 and it's a little higher than the RWD model but most people opt for the 4x4 unconcerned that it further limits bed access from the sides. Even though I'm 6'-04" tall, the sides of the bed are too high to reach over.

And having been around a lot of trucks and watching people use them for all kinds of things, I've noticed very few activities where the bed is accessed from the sides. Modern truck bed sides are really tall! And it's not uncommon for people to lift them another 2"-6" anyway. I'm not saying there is NEVER a use case where the sail sides won't be in the way, just that it's not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

The Cybertruck has electrically adjustable air suspension. You will be able to raise/lower it with your phone. The Cybertruck bed is already lower than the competition before the suspension is lowered to load heavy items more easily. And only a small minority of truck owners load the bed with sand or gravel from a bucket loader - that's what utility work trailers are for.

The bottom line? With a naturally low bed height, side steps, built in liftgate ramp and adjustable height suspension, the Cybertruck will actually be easier, not harder, to load in the majority of loading situations. A lot easier when dealing with heavy items. I can hardly wait to sell our gas truck and go all electric.

bebolton

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 Double Cab
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
The CT will absolutely be one of the easiest trucks to keep clean. With the side access steps, the adjustable suspension and the easy access bed, reaching the entire surface of the truck will be easy. I know delivery of mine is quite a ways off, but I get more excited by the day. I have made enough money from my Tesla stock investment to buy the truck and maintain it. I wish I had additional funds to buy more stock today. ?

Tesla Cybertruck Did you notice the Cybertruck has built in steps? 00930268-69A1-4345-BFC2-F1FA4D4C72FA

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
The CT will absolutely be one of the easiest trucks to keep clean. With the side access steps, the adjustable suspension and the easy access bed, reaching the entire surface of the truck will be easy. I know delivery of mine is quite a ways off, but I get more excited by the day. I have made enough money from my Tesla stock investment to buy the truck and maintain it. I wish I had additional funds to buy more stock today. ?

00930268-69A1-4345-BFC2-F1FA4D4C72FA.jpeg
TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
when i had my truck i always just stepped on the tire if i needed a step up, now, the CT tires being over 30+" could make that a hamstring/groin pulling event, but its good to know there are options!

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
At 9 sec and 59 sec in the vid from the Petersen CT debut, it shows pretty closeup the small ledges. I wouldn't call them steps, more like toeholds. It would be nice in the final design if they were a bit deeper.
Yes, they look about 5 inches deep. I was thinking that would be perfect for getting to the top of the tires to stand, without a groin pull, like VolklKatana was talking about.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Doesn't look like enough to act as a step, also, if you did try to use them, the toe of your shoe/boot would push against the body and with dirty/muddy shoes, I could see a lot of scuffing and scratching happening.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Doesn't look like enough to act as a step, also, if you did try to use them, the toe of your shoe/boot would push against the body and with dirty/muddy shoes, I could see a lot of scuffing and scratching happening.
I hear that it's going to be made of stainless steel so scuffing isn't really a big deal....

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I wear size 13 boots and a 5" deep step is more than deep enough. I wouldn't want to stand using my calf muscles for an eight hour day but for anything less than a few minutes it's fine.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
At 9 sec and 59 sec in the vid from the Petersen CT debut, it shows pretty closeup the small ledges. I wouldn't call them steps, more like toeholds. It would be nice in the final design if they were a bit deeper.
I don’t know for sure if they are intended as toe holds, but looks like they probably were if you compare how this vehicle sits on its “skateboard” vs the seamless nature of Tesla’s other cars. However if they aren’t, they should be. Building in access steps is one of the most underrated but most utilized truck features. GM has been integrating steps on every model for 5+ years now. It also solves the non-problem of being able to reach over the side. Everyone with actual truck experience will tell you that’s never really done, and if it is you’d typically stand on a running board or the tire as most every truck save the Honda Ridgeline is too tall for grown men to reach across anyway.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
I don’t know for sure if they are intended as toe holds, but looks like they probably were if you compare how this vehicle sits on its “skateboard” vs the seamless nature of Tesla’s other cars.
Isn't this the prototype that was built on a frame? It doesn't have a skateboard as far as I know.

I admit I could be wrong, just what I thought I knew.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Those "steps" are more about aerodynamics and flow than any step that I could step on, let alone have a handhold to steady yourself on such a precarious ledge.

I think we're starving for content and making stuff up to placate. I wish Elon would let us know what's going on. peace
Sponsored