Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Is there a way to disable the wireless charging pad? My phone got so hot the phone key stopped working.

If we can't disable it in software, has anyone tried to pull the plug on the back in the CT? I know someone did this for the MY.
Sponsored

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, R1T, Bronco Raptor
Country flag
Yeah my phone also gets hot. There should be an easy software solution to disable it so weā€™ll see. I would rather have working AP though.

Cybertruck26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR
Occupation
Engineer, Space nerd
Country flag
It's inductive charging so as long as you find an insulator to disrupt the magnetic field, it shouldn't charge. I wouldn't do something metal, but maybe a thicker envelope may work, if you can still put phone up with it there. I'm spitballing...

Reactions: REM

kewellxi

First Name
Xi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Yes, the phone gets too hot, and the charging speed is low. Now I only use USB-C to charge my phone, it's fast.

CarMan ElecTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LeftFoot RightFoot
Country flag
It is a good convenient location generally contain the phone and also for easy access to see alerts. I always take phone out of pocket.

every wireless charge should be able to ā€˜shut offā€™ imoā€¦

seems like over time the charger in my Model Y just got hotter and hotter.. same phone. In the beginning it charged and sustained well..

I wonder whoā€™s, if any, software update is causing thisā€¦

Maybe donā€™t put your phone on the pad for the time being?
$0.02

OP
OP
getsometom

getsometom

Site Sponsor
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Since it overheated my phone yesterday, the CT gave an error code that walk away lock was unavailable. IMO itā€™s one thing if a delivered feature doesnā€™t work, but itā€™s a bigger issue if it causes fault of another working item (phone as key) which then makes additional features on the CT unavailable
IMG_6018.jpeg

scohen2002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Country flag
Get a case for the phone that doesnā€™t support wireless charging. I have an iPhone 15 and every single time I charge it overheats sort of frustrating.

Coagulation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD
Country flag
Get a case for the phone that doesnā€™t support wireless charging. I have an iPhone 15 and every single time I charge it overheats sort of frustrating.
yes, or any piece of material that can be cut to shape and block the charging. Maybe a small piece of wood

OP
OP
getsometom

getsometom

Site Sponsor
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I use wireless charging elsewhere at the office and at the house so this may cause more of a hassle

yes, or any piece of material that can be cut to shape and block the charging. Maybe a small piece of wood
My concern is if the phone would fly out of this area if brakes were hit hard. The existing microsuede on the charging pads provide some traction that keeps the phone in place. If we placed a non-inductive surface between the charging pad and the phone, the non-inductive surface will need some tactility.