Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT-Tri Res, V10 Excursion, Victory Tour, Prius
Occupation
IT support, Development and Sys Admin
Country flag
I am looking at getting an EV charger installed before the truck shows up. My house setup is odd so I need to run about 150' of cable and mount the charger to a pedestal installed at the corner of my front garden bed by the driveway. Has anyone looked at pedestals? Any recommendations? It seems I should be able to find one for under $200 but most of what I see is $700+
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, I suppose that's possible but I doubt they will do that. Tesla has made HPWC that would supply up to 80A and built cars that would accept that but the trend seems to be to limit Level 2 to 48A (11.5 kW). This requires a 60 A breaker. If you install a system that takes more than 60 A you must install a lockable disconnect, in addition to the breaker, readily accessible to a user of the charger. This may or may not have anything to do with the trend towards the lower power level. The reduced rate may stem from the desire to charge more slowly thus extending battery longevity.

OP
OP
AndrewB

AndrewB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Cheap level 1 EVSEs cost $200. Why do you think you ought to be able to find a weather-hardened stand-alone Level 2 for that?

-Crissa
I'm just talking about something to mount the wall connector to. It is only a square steel box or pole I can secure to the ground. I forgot about the Tesla pedestal. That may be my best option.
I would really like something I can mount two chargers on since I will eventually have the CT and a Model Y. Maybe I can pull extra wire and fabricate a mounting plate.

OP
OP
AndrewB

AndrewB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I did already understand that, but I still appreciate the distinction being pointed out. I likely won't do this for about 6 months to a year since I won't get my truck for 1.5-2 years so the wall connector generation should not be an issue.
My house was built in the 70s and sits kind of sideways on the lot. The meter is on the Northwest corner attached to a backyard garage. The driveway is on the Southeast corner. I won't be parking in the garage or the backyard, so I have to pull a little under 150' of cable to put a charger near the driveway.

OP
OP
AndrewB

AndrewB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation