Do the Cybertruck AWD and Cyberbeast trims use all AC motors or some AC and DC motors?

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I know the new model s and x use all Permanent Magnet AC motors for the plaid trims as far as I know. The model 3 and y used one AC Induction Motor and one DC Permanent Magnet Motor for the dual motor trims to my knowledge. While it does seem pretty clear to me that the Cybertruck AWD uses one Induction Motor and one Permanent Magnet Motor and the Cyberbeast uses two Induction Motors and one Permanent Magnet Motor from what I've read about it, it doesn't specify whether the Permanent Magnet Motor is AC or DC. Therefore, I am wondering if anyone knows whether the Permanent Magnet Motors in the Cybertruck are DC or AC.
Sponsored

Cybertruck26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR
Occupation
Engineer, Space nerd
Country flag
I believe they are all AC. Fed DC from the battery, through DC to AC, to motors. I could be wrong, but think this is right.

sorry, permanent magnets are DC, induction motors are AC.

OP
OP
CyberJet

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I believe they are all AC. Fed DC from the battery, through DC to AC, to motors. I could be wrong, but think this is right.

sorry, permanent magnets are DC, induction motors are AC.
Interesting I thought Cybertruck permanent magnet motors would be AC because Model S and X plaid motors seem to be AC permanent magnet motors according to Tesla's website. Thank you so much for your reply, by the way.

Cybertruck26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR
Occupation
Engineer, Space nerd
Country flag
Of course, my pleasure. I could very well be wrong, but I am sure someone will correct me if so.

OP
OP
CyberJet

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Of course, my pleasure. I could very well be wrong, but I am sure someone will correct me if so.
Yes of course. Also, I find it interesting that the Cyberbeast has one permanent motor at the front and two induction motors at the rear. Most other tri-motor evs don't have more than one induction motor to my knowledge so the Cybertruck might be the tri-motor ev with the most induction motors. I also wonder if permanent magnet motors get better range and efficiency than induction motors and maybe that is one reason why Cybertruck range is lesser than other electric pickups currently. I could be wrong though about the last thing I mentioned.

Cybertruck26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR
Occupation
Engineer, Space nerd
Country flag
Yes of course. Also, I find it interesting that the Cyberbeast has one permanent motor at the front and two induction motors at the rear. Most other tri-motor evs don't have more than one induction motor to my knowledge so the Cybertruck might be the tri-motor ev with the most induction motors. I also wonder if permanent magnet motors get better range and efficiency than induction motors and maybe that is one reason why Cybertruck range is lesser than other electric pickups currently. I could be wrong though about the last thing I mentioned.
Yea, I remember reading about that in a much older thread, I'll try to find it.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Can you guys start fighting now? This is far too wholesome

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Charger, Honda Odyssey, Tesla M3, MY.
Occupation
Retired. Tier II Desktop Support Tech, Southern California Edison
Country flag
The permanent magnet motors used in the Teslas appears to be the same electrical configuration as the motors and speed controllers I use in my model aircraft (see my thumbnail). Three terminals and wires are used to the motor and speed control which means the ESC or Electronic Speed Control does the commutating and timing of the DC pulses to the motor windings. Reversing the pulse sequence reverses the motor rotation. This all means that these permanent magnet motors are DC Powered. Tesla uses DC powered permanent magnet motors for their 0 rpm, high torque to high rpm power output. The only issue with them is that they also are draggy because the magnets are always working and if you ever tried to turn the motor shaft on one, they are hard to turn and you feel the rotor catching the poles of the magnets. AC motors don’t have this drag issue and are turned off when you are cruising in your EV If your vehicle has more than one motor. Multi-motor EVs use both types of permanent magnet DC and AC motors.

OP
OP
CyberJet

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
The permanent magnet motors used in the Teslas appears to be the same electrical configuration as the motors and speed controllers I use in my model aircraft (see my thumbnail). Three terminals and wires are used to the motor and speed control which means the ESC or Electronic Speed Control does the commutating and timing of the DC pulses to the motor windings. Reversing the pulse sequence reverses the motor rotation. This all means that these permanent magnet motors are DC Powered. Tesla uses DC powered permanent magnet motors for their 0 rpm, high torque to high rpm power output. The only issue with them is that they also are draggy because the magnets are always working and if you ever tried to turn the motor shaft on one, they are hard to turn and you feel the rotor catching the poles of the magnets. AC motors don’t have this drag issue and are turned off when you are cruising in your EV If your vehicle has more than one motor. Multi-motor EVs use both types of permanent magnet DC and AC motors.
Wow! Thank you so much for the information! So I guess then permanent magnet motors are DC then.

Last edited:

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Wow! Thank you so much for the information! So I guess then permanent magnet motors are DC then.
Yepp. These permanent magnet motors are incredible! A motor that easily fits in the palm of your hand can put out ~12 hp at 16,000 rpm’s at ~60 volts dc and make great 3 phase high power AC generators (regen).

OP
OP
CyberJet

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Yepp. These permanent magnet motors are incredible! A motor that easily fits in the palm of your hand can put out ~12 hp at 16,000 rpm’s at ~60 volts dc and make great 3 phase high power AC generators (regen).
Are the Tesla AC induction motors incredible too?

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Are the Tesla AC induction motors incredible too?
I believe ÁC induction motors have been around for a long while especially in industrial use and are in our plug-in household tools and appliances. High power DC permanent magnet motors are fairly new especially neodymium magnet motors. These changed the electric powered model aircraft and now the EV world and now aviation and watercraft are starting to show up. Newer alternative magnet types are being developed, including motor designs. These are exciting times.
Sponsored