Do the Cybertruck AWD and Cyberbeast trims use all AC motors or some AC and DC motors?

OP
OP
CyberJet

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I believe ÁC induction motors have been around for a long while especially in industrial use and are in our plug-in household tools and appliances. High power DC permanent magnet motors are fairly new especially neodymium magnet motors. These changed the electric powered model aircraft and now the EV world and now aviation and watercraft are starting to show up. Newer alternative magnet types are being developed, including motor designs. These are exciting times.
Thank you so much for all your replies and answers and everything you do. Indeed they are exciting times! I love the Cyberbeast motor powertrain with two induction motors in rear and one permanent magnet motor in front. Do you know where Tesla gets their motors from like do they get them from a company? Or do they design their motors themselves?
Sponsored

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Charger, Honda Odyssey, Tesla M3, MY.
Occupation
Retired. Tier II Desktop Support Tech, Southern California Edison
Country flag
Thank you so much for all your replies and answers and everything you do. Indeed they are exciting times! I love the Cyberbeast motor powertrain with two induction motors in rear and one permanent magnet motor in front. Do you know where Tesla gets their motors from like do they get them from a company? Or do they design their motors themselves?
You’re very welcome! I enjoy my hobby very much now that everything I fly or control is electric powered. I hated the noisy, finicky and messy nitro engines I had to use. Then electric power came and I quickly converted and never looked back. Just plug in and go.
Yes, the CB power train layout makes for high power and efficiency. Great regen and braking since the weight is more toward the front when braking.
I wish I had insiders access to Tesla, but I don’t, but there is a very very good chance that the Tesla engineers designed the motors since Sandy Munro tore apart quite a number of Teslas and shown us the internal designs of just about everything including the motors. As far as manufacturing, either they have a 3rd party, or they do it themselves to keep quality and quantity in check plus any changes in design are quickly implemented. I tend to lean toward them making the motors, etc. as Elon likes to keep things in-house.

OP
OP
CyberJet

CyberJet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
You’re very welcome! I enjoy my hobby very much now that everything I fly or control is electric powered. I hated the noisy, finicky and messy nitro engines I had to use. Then electric power came and I quickly converted and never looked back. Just plug in and go.
Yes, the CB power train layout makes for high power and efficiency. Great regen and braking since the weight is more toward the front when braking.
I wish I had insiders access to Tesla, but I don’t, but there is a very very good chance that the Tesla engineers designed the motors since Sandy Munro tore apart quite a number of Teslas and shown us the internal designs of just about everything including the motors. As far as manufacturing, either they have a 3rd party, or they do it themselves to keep quality and quantity in check plus any changes in design are quickly implemented. I tend to lean toward them making the motors, etc. as Elon likes to keep things in-house.
I think they make the motors themselves. Would be really nice if Tesla starts selling motors to other companies. It would give them a lot of money, and Teslas motors are very well engineered and seem to be very reliable with practically no issues after driving a Tesla many miles to me, so if other companies used their motors, their cars motors would also be reliable to. Some other companies seem to be struggling with motor and battery reliability.

Also, are the motors in the plaid Tesla models, AC permanent magnet synchronous motors because that's what it seems to say in the owners manual on Teslas website. https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/models/en_us/GUID-E414862C-CFA1-4A0B-9548-BE21C32CAA58.html
Sponsored

Last edited: