Does anyone else hope the funky hubcaps / wheel covers aren't in the final design?

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
It may look like this. I personally like the original design. I am sure they can make an EV version of it.

CT1.png
Tesla Cybertruck Does anyone else hope the funky hubcaps / wheel covers aren't in the final design? tumblr_m5pt6lkR5N1qiy7aco1_500

I really like the look of the hubs on the prototype; blacking out the wheels. That being said, I do worry that they may be cheap plastic, easily lost, or readily stolen. I'd like to see these moon hubs in a matte black and to know what impact +/- they have on range.

I'm with @Tinker71. I'm more likely to use whichever option gives me slightly better wh/mi and is "rugged enough" for my regular usage, which extends more to the mild/moderate off-road.
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I really like the look of the hubs on the prototype; blacking out the wheels. That being said, I do worry that they may be cheap plastic, easily lost, or readily stolen. I'd like to see these moon hubs in a matte black and to know what impact +/- they have on range.

I'm with @Tinker71. I'm more likely to use whichever option gives me slightly better wh/mi and is "rugged enough" for my regular usage, which extends more to the mild/moderate off-road.
Other practical consideration on these disk covers:

Con: I know EV breaks rarely get used but if your regen is not enough and you have to keep slamming on the breaks down the mountain when you are towing something heavy, these don't give as much breathing room to your disks.

Pro: When your CT is parked in the driveway in the rain, your disks won't rust from rain splash bouncing off pavement,

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Considering they offer different wheel options on the other tesla vehicles, i can't see the CT being any different in this regard.

You also have to remember the tires on the CT prototype are not street legal, they say on the sidewalls for offroad use only.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Agree, that was my first reaction as well and wheels look just fine without covers
2021-04-25 21_10_35-Cybertruck-Franz-window.jpeg (960Ă—540).png

also, I wouldn't mind M3 aero covers (for long trips)
I think this is the way they will be. Like the M3, they will have “areo” covers and black spoked wheels underneath that most will like better. I’m hoping for something more off road/militaristic from the factory as an option to complete the “tank from the future” design. I’m also hoping for a less aggressive tread pattern option, like an AT or HT vs MT tire for those of us who will be driving a lot.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Agree, that was my first reaction as well and wheels look just fine without covers
2021-04-25 21_10_35-Cybertruck-Franz-window.jpeg (960Ă—540).png

also, I wouldn't mind M3 aero covers (for long trips)
Total side note on this pic.....anyone notice they covered the SS with moving blankets before Franz threw the ball at it? Does not exactly scream tough lol

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Total side note on this pic.....anyone notice they covered the SS with moving blankets before Franz threw the ball at it? Does not exactly scream tough lol
While they're testing? Why wouldn't they? You want to make sure it does the tests right before showing it off.

-Crissa

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I don't mind the hubcaps for everyday use (on road for me), as long as they are easily removeable for going offroad, it would be bearable. I don't particularly like how far out toward the tire tread, the cap goes, I see it would be easy to come into contact with a curb when parallel parking. If the hubcap were a little smaller, the sidewall of the tire would be tall enough that the hubcap would be "above" most curbs when parallel parking. Long term, I would probably look for new wheels when it is time for the tires to be replaced, unless I really like the "uncovered" stock wheel.

DTesla

First Name
Dwain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Wrangler, 2017 Model S, 2017 Mercedes B250e
Occupation
Facilities Manager
Country flag
I will offroad the CT and cannot go with a less aggressive tire as every knob will keep me on the trail. The hub caps will come off for offroad use as aerodynamics while crawling is a mute issue for this vehicle.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Moot, not mute. I mean, there's very little wind noise while rock crawling, sure.

I wonder if you could take a tiny trailer to the trail edge and swap your tires, so you're not blunting the trail edges of the offroad tires or losing range to them on the highway, but leave them locked in a box waiting for you like swapping shoes.

-Crissa

Mothertrucker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FPV Pursuit
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
The wheel covers look like rubbish bin lids. And they will be returned to their rightful place, the rubbish bin, within the first 7 days. If the wheels underneath don't look the part I'll replace them too.

Controversial opinion here. But I'm not actually that keen on the styling of the CT. I like the boxy idea, but I'd prefer a more traditional look, like a land-rover Defender vs. current moon landing craft. But I do love the CT's spartan interior.

I'm not anti CT I've ordered a 3 motor one, because there are a million good things about it, and changing wheels isn't that hard.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag