Double CT charging speed with bidirectional 240v?

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
The title might be confusing, but I just thought of an idea. We know the CT will have 240v onboard. What if it was bidirectional in nature (likely not, but imagine with me here) and had the ability to also charge the CT like a 15-50 extension cord from your wall to the CT? In theory, you could charge from your Tesla plug AND your 15-50 CT outlet/inlet simultaneously.

You would need 2 dedicated 15-50 lines at home to take full advantage of this (one for the Tesla plug, one to the CT 15-50 plug), but it would be awesome to get 60 mi/hr charging speeds at home!

Ok, enough dreaming, I'm sure this won't happen. What do you think, cool idea or pipe dream?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Interesting idea!

Note that the CT will have an onboard charger capable of handling 11.5 kW. The architecture of this thing will involve 3 bridges two of which will be configured as rectifiers and one as an inverter. Bridges are intrinsically 2 way i.e. they can be inverters or rectifiers depending on how they are gated. This has lead me to speculate that the "charger" in the truck could also serve as the inverter for the in bed power supply by switching the end that normally goes to the mains to the receptacles in the bed and changing the bridges from --> rectifier --> inverter --> rectifier to <--inverter <-- rectifier <-- inverter (there is also an isolation transformer in there). This leads me to hope that the bed will supply close to 11.5 kW (48A at 240).

I have thought for a long time that Tesla must do something to get the charge rate of at least the TriMotor up to or above 350 kW in order to stay abreast of the competition and observed that the shortest path to this would be to simply install a second port which port would be connected to a second SC hose a-la the Semi. You are obviously thinking along the same lines. A second bridge module could do double duty as the inverter for the bed and as a second Level 2 charger. Were the bed inverter to also serve as a second charger, however, it would not plug in through the bed receptacles as that would violate NEC and probably the US Constitution. Rather it would be switched, when using it for charging, to a second charging port.

The second port seems a much more direct path to 500 kW SC charging than reconfiguring to an 800V battery which leads to other problems. And it would allow double rate Level 2 charging as well. Sounds like a winner to me but what counts is what Elon thinks.

Last edited:
OP
OP

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Great info, thanks so much!! Let's hope that they're figuring something out to not only speed up SC speeds (which it totally sounds like they are), but also allow us to increase our charging rate at home (that would be a great bonus!).

Typically, faster home charging won't really be an issue as our cars are full every day, but I could totally see the benefit of faster chargers when in a pinch.
Sponsored

Last edited: