Driving ranges investigation

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
I wonder if it is true?

Tesla under new investigation by DOJ as feds say Elon Musk's cars lied about driving ranges and set up a 'diversion team' to cancel appointments from EV owners who complained
  • Tesla has received subpoenas over, 'personal benefits, related parties, vehicle range and personnel decisions'
  • Additional investigations claim Tesla created a secret team to suppress complaints from customers
  • Musk has struggled to explain his company's poor economic performance and said a lawsuit over a data breach could damage the company financially
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...sk-cars-range-charging-DOJ-investigation.html
Sponsored

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I think we might have spoke about this previously. But my take is Tesla did cancel appointments that people made because of range, because people don't understand how electric cars actually work. Or how EPA rating works versus real world. I don't think anybody was hiding anything. People just don't know their own cars

Although technically the onus would be on Tesla to ensure that their customers understand their car so... 🤷

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
"An investigation" == "Someone complained"

It doesn't mean there was any wrongdoing. This is way below "probable cause", an indictment (which is "likely can prove"), a civil court (“preponderance of evidence”) or a criminal court conviction ("Beyond a shadow of doubt").

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I thought we discussed this before but I can’t find the thread. General public from ton of online reviews have an understanding that Tesla overstate the range and Porsche understate it. Anyone that spends $60K+ for something without looking into it in advance should take some responsibility. If Tesla did actively do a VW type of stuff to deceive, that would be another story.

EPA needs to do better on these and don’t depend on the companies interpretation.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I thought we discussed this before but I can’t find the thread.
Back in July, there was a Reuters investigation piece with these allegations.

The OP info regards a more recent DOJ investigation into these and other allegations, including benefits to Tesla execs, compliance with the 2018 court orders from Tesla’s settlement, and claims about FSD and AP.

The most recent 10Q disclosed that FOJ investigations had begun.

Bigger you get, the higher the compliance load.

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
i can see some truth to this.. My M3 battery pack was replaced under warranty @61k miles. It was looking like a lemon all the way to the grave, and i made at least half a dozen appointments about it before it finally croaked. Tesla kept telling me nothing was wrong, all the way till it finally died.. Meh

OP
OP

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
i can see some truth to this.. My M3 battery pack was replaced under warranty @61k miles. It was looking like a lemon all the way to the grave, and i made at least half a dozen appointments about it before it finally croaked. Tesla kept telling me nothing was wrong, all the way till it finally died.. Meh
Thank you for sharing your case.
It would be our kind of investigation if the Tesla car drivers could describe their experience with the range numbers. How much we could trust the displayed info in real driving. And how big is the chance of getting a Tesla lemon.
Sponsored