TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
Hey anyone know of companies that would covert a Mini 2004 cooper to electric?
In or close to NJ?

Thinking a Tesla motor and batteries with say a workable 100mile range.
Is it possible? How much would the project cost?

Wifes baby, but the maintenance cost on her is getting a bit much.

Thanks in advance for any pointers! :)
Sponsored

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
I’m thinking I read somewhere Mini Cooper makes or is about to make an electric model? If so, would likely be cheaper than a conversion.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hey anyone know of companies that would covert a Mini 2004 cooper to electric?
In or close to NJ?

Thinking a Tesla motor and batteries with say a workable 100mile range.
Is it possible? How much would the project cost?

Wifes baby, but the maintenance cost on her is getting a bit much.

Thanks in advance for any pointers! :)
Most conversions using Tesla parts are 50,000-100,000.

I leased a similar year Mini, super fun to drive, but so impractical and so bad on fuel economy I was happy to turn the keys over at lease end.

You'd be better off getting a Model 3. Same zoom, just as fun to drive, but far cheaper than converting a car.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
With most of the batteries destined for new vehicle production I don't see getting them easily or cheaply.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Most conversions using Tesla parts are 50,000-100,000.

I leased a similar year Mini, super fun to drive, but so impractical and so bad on fuel economy I was happy to turn the keys over at lease end.

You'd be better off getting a Model 3. Same zoom, just as fun to drive, but far cheaper than converting a car.
I have been a stymied fan of EV conversions for over a decade... before Tesla!!! Regardless of the source, it will be much more up front expense than your maintenance costs. Still, if you love the car, the conversion is possible. I know nothing of the East coast, but there is a company in California that build kits and ships them. For me and my wife, it was MUCH easier for her to pick a model 3 that she wanted and buy it with a 2.9% interest rate and pay the loan. We love the 3 even though it is the base model.

OP
OP
TirNaOg

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
Thks all.
YA tis the Wifes baby the car is. Was just wondering. :)

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I actually have a classic pickup (1950 Ford F-1) wasting away in my backyard. It was my grandfather's and when I was a kid I used to sit in it and dream of driving it one day as my own cool pickup. Unfortunately, it seems like it would take about 100K to get really fixed up. Plus after seeing the White Zombie back in the day I have wanted to convert it to full electric.

Of course, my F-1 is much heavier than that Datsun but I'm not looking for acceleration to be the main calling card. But finding companies like EV West that do conversions using things like forklift motors would be interesting.

To really make it have some range though I'd probably need to replace a bunch of the big steel with carbon fiber. That would add even more cost to the conversion.

And as I've been dreaming of all these possibilities and trying to come up with a way to win the lottery so I could pay for the work, the Cybertruck was announced. Being a child of the 70's the whole look of the Cybertruck really caught me. And looking at the specs, I realized that nothing I did as a conversion would ever be able to touch the Cybertruck. So I made my preorder.

Now the F-1 sits in my back yard and I still dream of fixing it up if I were to ever win the lottery. (Funny thing though, I don't actually buy tickets so I doubt I'd ever win).

Probably, what will happen is that I will get my CT and use that. If I ever move, I'll be able to tow the F-1 with my CT to my new location. And someday it will either get restored a bit or will get junked. I realize that I could just buy an already restored one for much less mula. But a big part of this exact specimen is that it was my grandfather's actual work truck. I have the original receipt from when he bought it. It has had some farm fixes that I find attractive and unique. For instance, it's a 1950 pickup, but apparently, it was banged up a bit in front at one point as the grill was replaced with the 1951 grill which is quite a bit different. So it looks like 1951 but is actually 1950. And there are some rings welded to the front bumper to allow the pickup to be towed behind a tractor out to the field.

I guess it will just continue to be my dream catcher for the foreseeable future.
Sponsored

Last edited: