Electric scooter(s) + plugs in the frunk

Suskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Ibiza
Country flag
Being CT this big means I won't be able to park it exactly where I would like to, so I think one or two foldable electric scooter will be the perfect choice to cover that last couple of kms. If the frunk is going to be as big as we think, it could be the perfect place to store them without using the vault. Do you think it's possible there will be electric plugs in the frunk as well? Recharging the scooters while using the truck would be perfect for me.
Sponsored

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Do you think it's possible there will be electric plugs in the frunk as well?
Nobody knows, wait for the the actual reveal from Tesla.

Scott Beall

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Grand Cherokee (dd), 1966 Mustang, 1967 Corv
Country flag
That was the presentation at the reveal, yes. They parked an ATV inside the bed and plugged into the truck.

-Crissa
I've been wondering about that. As I recall, TSLA announced that they were making an ATV. I think I ordered one with the truck. Have we heard anything about it since the reveal?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
nobody knows.

Feel free to indulge in Mental masturbation. šŸ˜Ž

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It would be bananas for Tesla to not put plugs in the frunk.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
@cvalue13 what are the the little (lights?) to the right of the 30 amp plug?
they are buttons. The green one on bottom turns ā€œonā€ the ā€œpro powerā€ zone located in the bed of the truck. The two white ones above, are breaker switches for reconnecting the 240 or 110s after a fault

It indirectly raises an (to me) interesting point not just about whether the CT has plugs in the bed, but what kind of approach CT might take towards the (to some) unexpected consequences of safety and use-cases contemplated in the electrical design of the overall aux power features of the truck

in the Lightning, there are basically 3 ā€˜zonesā€™ of power: cabin outlets, frunk outlets, and bed outlets. Turning ā€œonā€ the pro power system activates first and only the cabin, with either the frunk or bed needing individual selection to be powered up. Itā€™s not that the truck drives around with all plugs constantly hot.

And, each zone has its own, individual, cumulative draw limits. The bed zone has the highest (I think 9.2kw in the Lightning and in the ICE vehicles I think 7.4kw the largest). Depending on what one plugs in, simultaneously, cumulative draw can trip the zone breaker.

Thereā€™s then also a ā€œchoose your own adventureā€ setting for an overall vehicle limiting power reserve. Say you want to, I donā€™t know, drive home eventually: you might set power reserve at 30% of battery life, at which point any plug in use will shut down and pro power system become inoperable (unless overridden).

Finally and maybe most interesting (in practical terms), is that pickup trucks have no ground (like, to the actual ground). So, the plugs are built with a ā€˜bonded neutral.ā€™ Thatā€™s all what you want if powering big things like tools on job sites.

But it also means you cannot simply plug the truck into your houseā€™s generator plug - because youā€™ll have aā€™ground loopā€™ that (correctly) causes the truck to throw its breaker. To use the plug to back power a home (absent a V2H system), the only solution is to use a separate sub-panel/transfer switch that is designed to solve that. Ainā€™t cheap equip to do so. (Assuming you want to do things by code, or not use things dubbed ā€œsuicide cableā€ - though many donā€™t seem to mind and use those sorts of work-arounds.)

Anyhow, all of that is context to say: it will be interesting to see Teslaā€™s functional approach to managing any similar significant aux power system.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Cyber Scooter will travel in bed of truck.
Tesla Cybertruck Electric scooter(s) + plugs in the frunk Cyber Scooter

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Finally and maybe most interesting (in practical terms), is that pickup trucks have no ground (like, to the actual ground). So, the plugs are built with a ā€˜bonded neutral.ā€™ Thatā€™s all what you want if powering big things like tools on job sites.

But it also means you cannot simply plug the truck into your houseā€™s generator plug - because youā€™ll have aā€™ground loopā€™ that (correctly) causes the truck to throw its breaker.
This should not be true, since most generators also have a floating ground. Some electronics complain, but why would the truck?

-Crissa

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
This should not be true, since most generators also have a floating ground. Some electronics complain, but why would the truck?

-Crissa
I have no knowledge or why itā€™s true, whatsoever.

I just know of a few dozen folks who have had to deal with it in frustrating detail to make their truck work as a generator for their house. And Ford materials describe the bonded neutral issue (feature?)

That said, my unfamiliar knowledge is that there are generators that are or are not set up like this as well.

I donā€™t use generators for tools or much of anything to have any personal familiarity.