Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
In a brief twitter response, Elon confirmed that the MY will be using the new battery cells at the Texas location when production begins. This all but ensures that all CTs rolling out of Texas, following the MY, will have the same.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
In a brief tweet response, Elon confirmed that the MY will be using the new battery cells at the Texas location when production begins. This all but ensures that all CTs rolling out of Texas, following the MY, will have the same.

I thought 4680s are 12-18 months away but Y is coming out this year?

OP
OP
VolklKatana

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I thought 4680s are 12-18 months away but Y is coming out this year?
yep! I believe they are making enough in fremont to send batteries to Texas for the near term until the battery portion of the factory is complete. As far as we know the battery lines for Texas could be complete, sitting, waiting to be installed somewhere as well. Lots of unknowns, but exciting news none the less!

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I doubt anyone here knows the answers to these questions, but gonna ask anyway...

Once Model Y is being produced in Austin, will Fremont also be making Model Y's?
If yes...
Will Austin MY's be made with 4680 batteries but Fremont MY's be made with 2170's?
And if yes...
Will Austin be making only one type of MY (Say... Performance) while Fremont only makes another model?

OP
OP
VolklKatana

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I doubt anyone here knows the answers to these questions, but gonna ask anyway...

Once Model Y is being produced in Austin, will Fremont also be making Model Y's?
If yes...
Will Austin MY's be made with 4680 batteries but Fremont MY's be made with 2170's?
And if yes...
Will Austin be making only one type of MY (Say... Performance) while Fremont only makes another model?
q1. yes As Elon has said, this is about to be the most popular vehicle in the world
q2. I doubt it, there has already been speculation that there are vehicles out there with the new batteries already, we just dont know to what degree. I dont think they would want a mix if batteries in their products if possible. the fewer the variables, the more efficient the mfg process is.
q3. Again, doubtful. Part of the reason for picking Texas was proximity to east coast, to make delivery of vehicles easier. I would suspect both lines are capable of making all variants.

duck

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
Fremont will be phased out eventually. California is friendly to tech but hostile to business and manufacturing. Austin will become North American headquarters.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Fremont will be phased out eventually. California is friendly to tech but hostile to business and manufacturing. Austin will become North American headquarters.
Even if you are right about Fremont being phased out eventually, ‘eventually’ could be a very long time. All factories are phased out eventually.

OP
OP
VolklKatana

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
as long as there is high demand for Tesla vehicles, this wont happen. factories/production lines are a constraint, they would not constrain themselves further.

duck

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
Politicians in California are openly hostile to Elon. He'll remove production from the state as soon as he possibly can.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Confirms New Battery Cells in Texas Made Vehicles 1621368635155

OP
OP
VolklKatana

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag

duck

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The presses are in structures and aren't going to move.

Fremont will probably continue being their S and X production facility as they ramp up the Austin facility.

Of course some politicians don't like Elon. That's how politics works. He doesn't like playing it, but he does play it. This is why investing in his workers should pay off. When that tweet happened, Elon had stepped in it pretty big. And sometimes, it's easier to score points than tell the truth.

Tesla has too much investment in California to leave. And their workers are unlikely to want to leave in droves, either. Austin just doesn't have the same advantages as the Bay Area does. Which is why people tolerate such limited housing.

-Crissa

darinduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 P85D Model S; 2001 Silverado 1500
Occupation
Design Director
Country flag
Politicians in California are openly hostile to Elon. He'll remove production from the state as soon as he possibly can.

1621368635155.png
Elon couldn't care less what a politician tweets. His feeling aren't hurt. He's building a factory in Texas even though he can't sell the cars in Texas, so clearly he makes every decision based on business logic, not emotion.

duck

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
Elon couldn't care less what a politician tweets. His feeling aren't hurt. He's building a factory in Texas even though he can't sell the cars in Texas, so clearly he makes every decision based on business logic, not emotion.
It sure sounded like his feelings were hurt and he took it personally. He probably cooled off after this tweet, but he'd still love to leave California behind.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Confirms New Battery Cells in Texas Made Vehicles 1621877243854
Sponsored