Finally get to charge my Tesla with solar

TeslaHugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Country flag
I'm super excited. After watching other people install solar on youtube I finally get to install solar myself. I don't know how long it will take me to install it on my house because I'm not familiar with the whole process of getting solar however I have basic idea from watching youtube. Can't wait to get started.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TeslaHugger

TeslaHugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Country flag
With advice from some guys on Solar Talk I used PVWatts to calculate my PV generation on my first house. I thought that a 7.3kW system would generate 1,111kWh per month but turns out that's only for states in the south like California. Up north a 7.3kW will average out to 866kW per month. That's a big drop of performance.

That could have been a costly mistake if I bought a system that would under performed.

OP
OP
TeslaHugger

TeslaHugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Country flag
I just received my documents I need to get a permit from the vendor however they don't create the site map so I had to spend several hours learning how to create one. That was a nice learning experience.

So far I've spent 23 hours and I haven't even ordered the panels yet. I really wasn't expecting for my 1st install to involve that much work.

Onto getting the permit.

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I just received my documents I need to get a permit from the vendor however they don't create the site map so I had to spend several hours learning how to create one. That was a nice learning experience.

So far I've spent 23 hours and I haven't even ordered the panels yet. I really wasn't expecting for my 1st install to involve that much work.

Onto getting the permit.

I have solar in our NV house but it was installed when they built it so all cabling and inverter is like having another appliance in my garage. I have Tela Solar (used to be Solar City) so its all in one bundle. installation is not hard some tips would be to put wire meshing at to access points on the bottom. Birds like to build nests there. Clean them off once a year to optimize your efficiency. Other than that, the equipment is kinda pricey if you are a homeowner and depending on where you are, your energy company may give you a good deal too. There all kinds of way to go solar hell even COSTCO sells it.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
I would suggest doing a ground mount as opposed to a roof mount system.
But if your heart is set on OR your land size doesnt allow a ground mount the roof mount is ok.
Sounds awesome tho.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But if your heart is set on OR your land size doesnt allow a ground mount the roof mount is ok.
Sounds awesome tho.
I would also look into installing micro inverters, I have Enphase micro inverters installed here in the U.K.
One of the main advantages of these is that should cloud or shading cover one or more panels the other panels will continue to generate electricity, you can also see what each panel is generating when using their Enlighten software, this will also inform you of any issues with any of the panels.

Frankenblob

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
If you are in the country, i would suggest keeping all your appliances (except the EV charger) at 120v/60Hz , i.e. well pump, hot water tank....
Possibly scrap the fridge, a good freezer is way more economical than wastefull fridges.

OP
OP
TeslaHugger

TeslaHugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Country flag
Sounds awesome tho.
I would love to go with a ground but I don't have the space. :)

I would also look into installing micro inverters, I have Enphase micro inverters installed here in the U.K.
One of the main advantages of these is that should cloud or shading cover one or more panels the other panels will continue to generate electricity, you can also see what each panel is generating when using their Enlighten software, this will also inform you of any issues with any of the panels.
I looked at micro inverters but they were a little pricier than strings with optimizers. From what I read they both the same way with shaded areas but I would think micro inverters would be a little more efficient.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If I had the room I would move mine to ground mounts, maintenance would be a doddle.

Frankenblob

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Adding ice to room temperature soda pop loses 50% of the carbonation (I am a former restaurant manager).
Hmmmmmm, what if you put the cans/bottles IN the ice?

Wet can/bottle, slippery....but COLD

Hehehe
Sponsored

Last edited: