Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Even if the battery packs weren't in the current cars, my understanding is that the battery packs are easily swapped at a service center. That means if there is a noticeable Osborne effect, Tesla could conceivably offer some type of "swap out my battery pack" program on current in-stock vehicles. There are a lot of ways to get around the osborne effect via pricing or other sales programs. I'm eagerly anticipating Tuesday to see what is actually going on and how it might affect CT specs.
Understood, but from what I've seen the form factor is good inch taller than existing? Maybe the new design still allows them to fit into the same vertical space... maybe all that space that was supposed be taken up by the insulation that they abandoned? :)
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Only offer the new cells in the CT, Roadster, and Semi. Leave the current cells in the current car models...
That's probably why the rumors are they're putting them in the S. S sales have been dropping, and the model is supposed to be their flagship-newest-tech-platform and could use some love.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I definitely think that the Plaid Model S, the CyberTruck, and the Semi will see these batteries used...

Then when the Berlin factory with the 'internal redesign' of the Model Y goes into product next summer will probably use these batteries.

As for the pack density, it appears the NYK channel was going down the same line of thought that I was:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I predict a reveal of refreshed Model S. It’s a beautiful design but getting long in the tooth at 8-years old. It is time for new headlights, bumpers, door skins and interior.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I definitely think that the Plaid Model S, the CyberTruck, and the Semi will see these batteries used...
Yes, I've always assumed their production (and range promises) was waiting on the battery tech he could see in the pipeline.

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Even if it was just 10 to 15% improvement, that would be huge, especially if the energy density at the pack level goes up due to more efficient packaging. It would also be interesting to see how these will be thermally managed...
I’ll see your 15% and raise you an additional 10% ? ? ?

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Exciting that we only have to wait until this coming Tuesday to hear the big news!!!

Jon Snow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS85D
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
There is actually a very easy way to Tesla to avoid the Osborne Effect.

Only offer the new cells in the CT, Roadster, and Semi. Leave the current cells in the current car models (IE S,3,X, and Y) which they can still purchase from Panasonic. Then when a redesign of those models comes into play, then put in the new cells. A great example of this is when the S was redesigned front end and added the new autopilot hardware.
Agree 100% .. my expectation is Tesla releases a few different batteries. The new leaked batteries are likely just for Semi and Plaid cars. M3/Y will get Lithium iron cells with a million mile duty cycle maybe and a price drop once implemented ... or something like that.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Thanks for posting that video. It was certainly very interesting even if it is way over my head.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's no coincidence that Elon picked September 22 for Battery Day.

September 22 is the fall/autumnal equinox.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag

Only offer the new cells in the CT, Roadster, and Semi. Leave the current cells in the current car models (IE S,3,X, and Y) which they can still purchase from Panasonic. Then when a redesign of those models comes into play, then put in the new cells. A great example of this is when the S was redesigned front end and added the new autopilot hardware.
I think they will do that anyway because the new batteries won't have the power density for the cars, but will for the CT and Semi. I think the roadster will need to stay with the higher power density & energy density cells.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Looks like Elon is listening to you:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/m...gh-volume-until-2022-2020-09-21?mod=home-page

Last edited: