DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Dilbert and Ford jokes aside. When you work at Tesla for 12 years and Ford asks you to come over two things are a given. First, Ford is doing this not because of some IP grab but because of culture and practice change. Second, Alan Clarke doesn't do this unless he gets at least some confirmation that Ford will back him up. Sure, there might be some friction and back-stabbing though for all the shade Ford deserves, they are at least trying new things, ground-up for the EVs, partnerships with Rivian, battery deals, money being committed. Part of the reason that they call it "Advanced EV development" is to quite literally say "this department comes first in the process. It is the start, the lead, the ahead of the times stuff and the expectation is that it will be integrated and utilized."

I'm not going to predict if Ford can actually increase the speed of development, at least they are making all the moves to attempt to increase the speed of development. Tesla is ahead and for Ford to stay in their wake, they'll need to at least fast follow faster. If they ever want to be in the lead, they'll need to develop as fast (with some partnerships or theft or other means) or faster than Tesla hence the hire.

I do predict a bunch of old timers either bitching about change or finally feeling the joy of development. It'll be fun to see what Ford produces.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
… First, Ford is doing this not because of some IP grab but because of culture and practice change. Second, Alan Clarke doesn't do this unless he gets at least some confirmation that Ford will back him up. …
I assume Ford and Clarke are on the level. I don’t think Ford is grabbing up Tesla talent for an IP grab. Just pointing out that there is a huge gulf in corporate culture to bridge. That kind of thing can really get in the way of even the most well intended change.

Look at the problems Diess has been having with turning VW’s boat for example.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Just pointing out that there is a huge gulf in corporate culture to bridge. That kind of thing can really get in the way of even the most well intended change.
Agreed.

"huge" like huge

Everything from William Clay Ford Jr being the Chairman to their sense of time i.e. a year to ICE to the dealership model and too many more to list. Cultural knowledge and cultural momentum become ingrained in institutions. The thing about VW - as a contrast to Ford - is that they have this external mandate that has backed them into a corner and must change. Ford is trying to stay profitable and reinvent itself. Interesting times indeed.
Sponsored