Ford to build 600k EV's/yr by end of next year and has 2nd EV truck in the works

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag

They are claiming to be gunning for Tesla's EV market share.. specifically the leader in EV Truck market share.

Have a second EV pickup truck model in the works separate from the F-150 Lightning.

600k EV's by end of next year.

2 million + EV's a year within 4 years.

While I find it a bit of saber rattling and exaggerated goals/braggadocio which I highly doubt they will be able to meet those goals, it is a good thing for us who want the CT! Tesla actually has the capability to meet 500k+ CT's a year in the next 2-3 years, and more importantly, Musk wants this truck to be the top selling truck.. not just EV truck, so this bodes well for even more affordable CT prices since they actually have the margins to produce them in numbers at affordable prices. Ford does not.

Btw it's hilarious and delusional he thinks they will be the biggest ev manufacturer when they plan on producing 2 million EVs a year in 4 years. Tesla produces over a million a year now.. before giga Texas and Berlin started deliveries or ramped to full production. Tesla will be producing at least 3 million (modest estimate) EVs a year within 2 years. Basic math failure on Ford CEO's part.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That's good news, in particular for Australia where Ford is thinking about importing F150 trucks again. I'm pretty sure the other truck will be the smaller Ranger which we can already buy as an ICE here.

The question is will they do an EV version of the VW Amorak that is based in the same vehicle as the Ranger in the new model?

If so Rivian competition would be heating up.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Musk has blown pretty much every deadline heā€™s set himselfā€¦ except for his production targets which heā€™s pretty much nailed every time.

Ford has hit their release deadlines, but blown every EV production goal theyā€™ve set for themselves.

Ford is essentially claiming they will be producing 10x the number of EVs they are producing right now in 20 months.

10xā€¦. Seems unlikely.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
This announced follow-up pickup chambered behind the F-150 Lightning just locked and loaded is all FORD. FORD needs to pump its faithful, toot its EV and rev its motors to hold onto a 45yr+ legacy sales lead.

Lightning was proof that it understood and knew exactly what FORD pickup buyers want in a truck. Lightning was proof what they had baked up for FORD buyers.

Cybertruck sales reservations for Teslaā€™s Armageddon pickup designed to sustain bullets, hail, corrosion and blistering heat was a stroke of success FOMOCO never knew existed, much less paid any attention. They are now!

Expect FORD to launch its follow-up vehicle before Tesla SOP for Cybertruck. Reservation holders can expect a shot across the olde CT frunk aimed directly at FOZA(Fear of Zombie Apocalypse). More Raptor with EV Trophy Truck bells and whistles FORD could get such a design brief out by Christmas 2022.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The problem with Ford getting their next truck announced before the Cybertruck is announced is they will only be about 1/10th of the way through their launch year deliveries. So do you Osborne your existing truck to try and scoop the competitor?

They arenā€™t going to put a dent in Cybertruck sales and I think they know it. At least for the first 3-4 years, Tesla will sell every Cybertruck they ship as quick as they can get them out the door.

Since they canā€™t steal Cybertruck sales, I suspect Ford holds off on their announcement until they can get their new truck out the door quickly so they donā€™t crush their existing sales.

GM & Ram can spew all the new specs they want right now because they donā€™t have to worry about harpooning existing sales.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So Ford is saying their run rate will be 150k F-150s by end of 2023.

Total EV sales would be 600k by that same time.

That includes the Mustang Mach E, and their transit vans. The transit vans have a pretty low range though, in the 110 mile territory I believe. Maybe thatā€™s where they are going to get a big chunk of their volume?

As I said above, weā€™ll believe it when we see it. Considering Teslaā€˜s run rate will be 2m by end of this year and likely 3-3.5m by end of 2023, I donā€™t think Musk is sweating this.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
I have my doubts as well, but at least he is giving Tesla credit for being #1.

Keep in mind Ford already has the capability to build a crap ton of F-150 bodies and beds as they are identical to the ICE F-150's. The only real thing that might hold them back is battery production.

In 4 years I bet they at least have a good chance break the 1 million ev's per year.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
The problem with Ford getting their next truck announced before the Cybertruck is announced is they will only be about 1/10th of the way through their launch year deliveries. So do you Osborne your existing truck to try and scoop the competitor?

They arenā€™t going to put a dent in Cybertruck sales and I think they know it. At least for the first 3-4 years, Tesla will sell every Cybertruck they ship as quick as they can get them out the door.

Since they canā€™t steal Cybertruck sales, I suspect Ford holds off on their announcement until they can get their new truck out the door quickly so they donā€™t crush their existing sales.

GM & Ram can spew all the new specs they want right now because they donā€™t have to worry about harpooning existing sales.
A Raptor knockoff in EV platform solves its EOL dilemma for the ICE jumper and transitions the line over to EV production which it needs for govā€™t credits. Kills three birds with one design brief if it can sway CT RN holders that a RaptorEV can provide more of what they really want.

Technology announcements are famous for icing sales which FORD knows how to play that game. While Cybertruck is the bitchinā€™est, baddest tech EV today FORD can nullify dynamic, bulletproof and cyber with clever innovation and slick marketing , at which it is also adept.

So FORDā€™s production hump could be opportunity rather than another drag.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A Raptor knockoff in EV platform solves its EOL dilemma for the ICE jumper and transitions the line over to EV production which it needs for govā€™t credits. Kills three birds with one design brief if it can sway CT RN holders that a RaptorEV can provide more of what they really want.

Technology announcements are famous for icing sales which FORD knows how to play that game. While Cybertruck is the bitchinā€™est, baddest tech EV today FORD can nullify dynamic, bulletproof and cyber with clever innovation and slick marketing , at which it is also adept.

So FORDā€™s production hump could be opportunity rather than another drag.
Iā€™m sure Ford will apply quite the sham-wow. But ultimately one of Fordā€™s big advantages has long been price competitiveness. Tesla is coming into this with a huge cost advantage. The 4680 cells are meeting Teslaā€™s goals which means they are delivering a ~54% cost reduction. Ford is going to be paying 2-3 times more for cells than Tesla for at least a few years to come.

Itā€™s going to be extremely hard for Ford (or anyone) to make trucks profitably and price competitive with Tesla. Itā€™s going to be weird seeing Ford try and compete when they are the high cost provider.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
The Osborne effect may very well effect more than just the F150L it will likely also effect the entire F150 ICE truck lineup as well and that will happen even before their 2nd EV truck is announced.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Osborne effect may very well effect more than just the F150L it will likely also effect the entire F150 ICE truck lineup as well and that will happen even before their 2nd EV truck is announced.
Yep.

The whole industry is shifting to EV fast. Soon nobody is going to want ICE vehicles. Trucks will be a few years out, but itā€™s already happening to cars and small SUVs.

I think once we get a few hundred thousand Electric trucks on the road the truck market is going to start shifting fast.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
That's rich coming from the same company that barely managed 27,000 mach e's in 2021 and has since halted us sales since they have no parts.
Sponsored