Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Ok. I just finished a 5 hour drive in unfamiliar territory, in the dark, with blinding sheets of rain coming down, and a fair amount of truck traffic kicking up even more water, resulting in multiple other vehicles ending up in the ditch. I’m exhausted.

One thing I noticed though is that there are many times when the wipers just do not keep up with the water and for a seriously dangerous period of time I would be blinded.

So I’m curious how FSD handles this situation. There are no wipers on the cameras so I’d be afraid the cameras would also be blinded for possibly even more time than I was. What does FSD do if it suddenly cannot see? Anyone seen any FSD testing videos under these kinds of conditions?
Sponsored

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Ok. I just finished a 5 hour drive in unfamiliar territory, in the dark, with blinding sheets of rain coming down, and a fair amount of truck traffic kicking up even more water, resulting in multiple other vehicles ending up in the ditch. I’m exhausted.

One thing I noticed though is that there are many times when the wipers just do not keep up with the water and for a seriously dangerous period of time I would be blinded.

So I’m curious how FSD handles this situation. There are no wipers on the cameras so I’d be afraid the cameras would also be blinded for possibly even more time than I was. What does FSD do if it suddenly cannot see? Anyone seen any FSD testing videos under these kinds of conditions?
It tells you to take over.

gphenix

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75th Anniversary Jeep Grand Cherokee, MERCEDES AMG SLC43
Country flag
It tells you to take over.
One of the thing I remember which sold me on the Cybertruck is it can see at night in heavy rain. That question was asked.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
There are no wipers on the cameras...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't at least one camera behind the (wiper cleared) windshield?

...resulting in multiple other vehicles ending up in the ditch.
In full level 5 FSD I would expect the car to slow down or possibly even pull over if it determined the rain was coming down so hard it could not safely continue. Unlike multiple (human driven) other vehicles.

To put it another way, I'd expect level 5 FSD to handle that situation better than many of the drivers we currently allow to handle that situation.
Sponsored