First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
LOL

This is Tesla, insurance will likely be purchased through the app on the phone. There might be an FAQ. Good luck chasing a person down to ask questions to.
The app lets you ask questions. Also... They're a bit more concerned with answering while they're waiting for your money.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I know some people use a lease to “buy” a car which is out of their price-range, but it’s a bad financial choice.
I had done that in the past, wanted a car I couldn't afford to buy. 2005 was the last time I leased a vehicle. I do remember the only advantage I could find for leasing vs. buying is, at least back then, you only paid tax on the part of the car you leased.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I had done that in the past, wanted a car I couldn't afford to buy. 2005 was the last time I leased a vehicle. I do remember the only advantage I could find for leasing vs. buying is, at least back then, you only paid tax on the part of the car you leased.
If you have a business, you can expense the lease payment instead of using depreciation.

It’s a pretty big advantage, but not one individuals can usually enjoy.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
According to the generally held consensus on these forms, full self driving is supposed to transfer from you to the new owner of your old Tesla. That is, unless you sell it back to Tesla. At that point they remove full self driving and sell it again to the new owner if they choose that option. I just watched the most recent NOW YOU KNOW. They state, multiple times, that FSD is removed from your car by Tesla when you sell the vehicle and it is registered to the new owner at which point Tesla sells FSD at the new, higher current price.

What is the reality? FSD is currently a McGuffin, a Holy Grail. I reserved FSD at $7000 in case this becomes a reality before my Cybertruck is delivered knowing it would be several years before I get CT. If I ever choose to sell CT or gift it to a relative I want the asset I paid for to transfer completely. If it is deleted by Big Tesla because they get greedy and want to resell software with every private transfer of ownership then they will lose my purchase of FSD from the start.
I think of you purchase or buy FSD for your car, it should remain with you as part of the car....it is yours....I am not sure Tesla can arbitrarily take it off your car if you gift it or sell it to anyone except Tesla.......I dont believe we are just using the fed software.....we own it.....a good trial attorney might be smarter than me......bit I f I get that crap on the CT, I willl tell then to place it where the sun dont shine

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If Tesla buys a vehicle back with FSD, the pay for FSD in the purchase. If they remove (turn off) and sell the vehicle without FSD, they sell a vehicle at a value without FSD.

why would we think this practice unethical?
I am not stating Tesla is doing this action. If purchased with FSD, then Tesla should be held to the contract agreement.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If Tesla buys a vehicle back with FSD, the pay for FSD in the purchase. If they remove (turn off) and sell the vehicle without FSD, they sell a vehicle at a value without FSD.

why would we think this practice unethical?
I am not stating Tesla is doing this action. If purchased with FSD, then Tesla should be held to the contract agreement.
If Tesla buys the vehicle from someone, regardless of whether it had FSD enabled or not they can do what they want to with it. I think that most people are concerned about 2 scenarios: (1) what Tesla offers as tradein on a vehicle someone bought that had FSD on it, and (2) what if anything Tesla does to a car that has FSD on it and is sold by and bought by private individuals.

If I bought FSD for my car and I sell it, then I want to recoup that cost (or the current value) when I sell it. It might be easier to trade in to Tesla but if they don't give a fair price then I would be inclined to sell it privately and it is then a big issue for me what happens to that FSD for the buyer.

It would be much easier for the owner to have the FSD transfer with them instead of the vehicle. The only problem is that there is extra hardware in the car for FSD, so even if your license transferred you would have to pay for the extra hardware in the next car. I would be willing to do that as long as I get the price of that hardware in the sales price of the car I am selling.

I am sure that there are many scenarios that could be implemented that are better for the owner than the current one.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It would be much easier for the owner to have the FSD transfer with them instead of the vehicle. The only problem is that there is extra hardware in the car for FSD, so even if your license transferred you would have to pay for the extra hardware in the next car. I would be willing to do that as long as I get the price of that hardware in the sales price of the car I am selling.
All of the newer Teslas have the same hardware and are capable of FSD. There are some older Teslas which need to be upgraded to run the current version of FSD, but since it goes with the car this isn’t an issue.

thedownwardmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 MSP, stalks ftw
Country flag
I found this thread while trying to figure out why my Model S has FSD paid for on the window sticker, but doesn't have it or any associated features (autopark, summon, etc).

I bought the car from a third party reseller, who bought it at auction. The vehicle's previous owner is listed in Carfax as a corporate owner for 2 yr 2 mo.

The original window sticker came with the vehicle, indicating both the VIN and that "Full Self-Driving Capability" was included as a $6000 option.

I have successfully had Tesla recognize me as the owner and I am able to access the vehicle in the Tesla app, which indicates that FSD is available for purchase at $12000, or for subscription at $199/mo.

I have taken the vehicle to a Tesla service center for other issues, and they aren't sure why the vehicle lacks FSD, but they "believe it has to do with Autopilot being linked to the previous customer's account". I have no idea who the previous owner is and I doubt they want to hear from me.

I've called Tesla software assistance to find out why the vehicle used to have FSD but doesn't now, and they say I need to ask whoever I bought the vehicle from why it doesn't have FSD. I pointed out that since only Tesla can remove FSD, only Tesla can tell me why FSD is missing, but they stonewalled. I kept up the line of inquiry but they kept stonewalling and literally said "we can keep going in circles" at one point.

So, this is definitely a case of Tesla removing FSD from a car. The third-party reseller never represented the vehicle as having FSD, so I'm not upset, but it does make me wonder -- how can Tesla remove a feature from a vehicle when it has already been paid for?

The only reasonable thing I can think of is if the vehicle was leased by Tesla, who then removed FSD before putting it to auction. I'd understand that because at that point it's their vehicle, but then I'd have to ask -- why would Tesla put the vehicle to auction? It has no accidents, it's three years old, and it has lower mileage than other CPO cars on their site.

So it is a mystery. I probably won't get FSD, and though I feel like because the car *had* it, it should *have* it, ultimately it's not that big a deal. I still get to drive a really cool car and live a comfortable life in a peaceful country, so there is still plenty to be happy about.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your pain. My understanding is that the only way anyone can get FSD on a used Tesla is to buy it 'directly' from the individual that paid for it originally. If it goes through any dealership then it is gone. Don't ask me how or why because I don't know. I wish they wouldn't do these bait-and-switch things but dealers pretend to be ignorant when they aren't. You might, if you go through a lot of pain, get the $6,000 back but you would still have to pony up the $12,000 for FSD if you think it is worth it. Otherwise you can try to push this paperwork onto Tesla and see if they will budge, but I suspect that only a class action suit would get them to change their behavior.

To answer a question you had, FSD is part hardware and part software. Tesla is not going to take the hardware out of the car, but they can disable the software and that is probably what they do.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
I found this thread while trying to figure out why my Model S has FSD paid for on the window sticker, but doesn't have it or any associated features (autopark, summon, etc).

I bought the car from a third party reseller, who bought it at auction. The vehicle's previous owner is listed in Carfax as a corporate owner for 2 yr 2 mo.

The original window sticker came with the vehicle, indicating both the VIN and that "Full Self-Driving Capability" was included as a $6000 option.

I have successfully had Tesla recognize me as the owner and I am able to access the vehicle in the Tesla app, which indicates that FSD is available for purchase at $12000, or for subscription at $199/mo.

I have taken the vehicle to a Tesla service center for other issues, and they aren't sure why the vehicle lacks FSD, but they "believe it has to do with Autopilot being linked to the previous customer's account". I have no idea who the previous owner is and I doubt they want to hear from me.

I've called Tesla software assistance to find out why the vehicle used to have FSD but doesn't now, and they say I need to ask whoever I bought the vehicle from why it doesn't have FSD. I pointed out that since only Tesla can remove FSD, only Tesla can tell me why FSD is missing, but they stonewalled. I kept up the line of inquiry but they kept stonewalling and literally said "we can keep going in circles" at one point.

So, this is definitely a case of Tesla removing FSD from a car. The third-party reseller never represented the vehicle as having FSD, so I'm not upset, but it does make me wonder -- how can Tesla remove a feature from a vehicle when it has already been paid for?

The only reasonable thing I can think of is if the vehicle was leased by Tesla, who then removed FSD before putting it to auction. I'd understand that because at that point it's their vehicle, but then I'd have to ask -- why would Tesla put the vehicle to auction? It has no accidents, it's three years old, and it has lower mileage than other CPO cars on their site.

So it is a mystery. I probably won't get FSD, and though I feel like because the car *had* it, it should *have* it, ultimately it's not that big a deal. I still get to drive a really cool car and live a comfortable life in a peaceful country, so there is still plenty to be happy about.
Two possible reasons why it doesn't have FSD:

1. You said it was sold through auction. There are cases where Tesla will sell a car traded back to them or returned from lease to a reseller that seems at auction. The terms could be that FSD is not included in the transfer.

2. The car could have been originally ordered with FSD and is why the Monroney sticker shows it, but delivery could have been refused or fallen through for some reason. Then Tesla could have sold it to someone else that was waiting on a similar configuration, but without FSD. So the car could have never been delivered to any customer with FSD, but the sticker still shows it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Service center people wouldn't know. They aren't exactly high enough on the chain.

But if you have the original window sticker, they owe you FSD. At some point the car was reset and someone forgot to put it on. You don't have any way to know FSD was ever included other than the window sticker.

The auction was fraudulent if they sold you a car without checking that all the parts were in fact there that they said were. And a $12,000 part is worth suing over.

The fastest path may be to continue elevating your case at the service center; but a photo of the window sticker and a photo of your car's FSD status in the car forwarded on Twitter to a few notable accounts (and here) might get the media attention you need to prod the machine into working.

There's no method that FSD could be 'on the previous account' and on the window sticker.

-Crissa
Sponsored