azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
So if you can see a dinosaur extinction event coming you would prefer to call it nature and do nothing?
I just used the Dinosaur event as an example, which turned the earth into an ice ball. Even with todays technology not much could be done. Mother nature is much stronger than we are, just look at the natural disasters that happen and we are helpless
Sponsored

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Basically it's a bank of capacitors or some destroys-itself battery and a coil, like a slinky. Charge the coil then stretch it to exand or contract the area. But the amount you can put in a man-mobile unit would be a field like you get from a MRI, but you really want to vary the field quickly, so it resonates many components quickly.

But that means that the targets can also hardne themselves as well, since it's a human-sized object, and can then have human-sized sinks to absorb or dissipate the energy.

Modern Humans have only been on the planet a hundred thousand, and civilization only ten thousand. Just because the planet has changed climates a million or billion years ago doesn't mean it would be habitable for us. Why wouldn't we want to make sure the planet remains habitable? We can do that. So we should.

-Crissa
I am not saying we shouldn't go with electrification and BEVs, but the pro Global Warming groups make it sound like it is the fault of the Industrial Revolution which is part of the problem but only a part

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
I am not saying we shouldn't go with electrification and BEVs, but the pro Global Warming groups make it sound like it is the fault of the Industrial Revolution which is part of the problem but only a part
...there is no such thing as a "pro Global warming group"...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It is the fault. We have the receipts. http://www.realclimate.org/index.ph...ncreases-are-due-to-human-activities-updated/

And even if a giant asteroid could change the planet in an instant doesn't mean we can't do it over a hundred years. It only takes a moment for a bomb to make a hole but it takes much less energy (but more time) to dig it manually.

-Crissa

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I’m a Ferrell fan, but we Norwegians do mostly buy *American* EVs though ... That’s Teslas. The GM brand has little standing here I think. The Bolt was briefly sold as an Opel.

We tried to make an EV of our own called Think in the 90s which Ford bought and closed down I think.
Regarding the Ferrell/GM Super Bowl ad:

I just read right now that the most sold car in Norway in January 2021 is NOT an EV for the first time in a year (Overall EVs win of course and it’s Audi e-Trons when Tesla is not shipping ). The most sold car in January is a Toyota RAV4 plugin-hybrid.

I think this points to three things.

1. People’s daily driving is seldom over 75km which is the RAV4s electric range. (And Tesla shouldn’t be afraid of selling models with relatively “low range”.)

2. People like that taller crossover-SUV size. Especially during the winter. (Ys are not yet available and doesn’t quite fit the bill either (hence the CT interest here)).

3. I won’t say there are too many Teslas but the charging queues are getting lots of (negative) attention. Tesla is spitting out new superchargers all across the map but on popular routes it’s too slow and too few stalls. (Other chargers are known to be unreliable and slow and are also too few). Bad news travels fast in a small country.

PS! Also it absolutely does not look like he ends up wrongly in Sweden by the backdrop.

Last edited:

OP
OP

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
...there is no such thing as a "pro Global warming group"...
Interesting. So if a teenager is asked, "Why did you leave that shirt on the floor?" and they respond, "because I couldn't be bothered to go the extra step and put in the dresser", we might call them a slob or lazy. We wouldn't call them pro-mess necessarily because it seems weird. But, petroleum extractors and refiners have their own research about the effects of their products (similar apathy to a teenager) and took the extra step deny, deflect, or diminish the effects of petroleum products on the environment.

So, however odd it may sound, I would say yes, any company or group of companies that actively try to avoid the consequences of their global warming actions are, in fact, "pro Global warming group". Is it divisive or even a tad dramatized, sure, but after a couple of decades of feet dragging and FUD, the label fits.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
Interesting. So if a teenager is asked, "Why did you leave that shirt on the floor?" and they respond, "because I couldn't be bothered to go the extra step and put in the dresser", we might call them a slob or lazy. We wouldn't call them pro-mess necessarily because it seems weird. But, petroleum extractors and refiners have their own research about the effects of their products (similar apathy to a teenager) and took the extra step deny, deflect, or diminish the effects of petroleum products on the environment.

So, however odd it may sound, I would say yes, any company or group of companies that actively try to avoid the consequences of their global warming actions are, in fact, "pro Global warming group". Is it divisive or even a tad dramatized, sure, but after a couple of decades of feet dragging and FUD, the label fits.
...I would describe that as a "Pro-Money and fuck everyone else" group...
...but sure i take your point...

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

For many, including me, it's hard to take the 'global warming' activist seriously. They never live up to the proposed objectives for everyone else. If they really believed about 'carbon footprints' they wouldn't be jetting around the world to attend all hyped conferences on global warming(Zoom conferences would work just fine). They would also forgo any unnecessary travel, such as vacations(holidays for you Europeans), ski trips, fishing/camping trips, etc., etc.

But that will never happen. You can bet the farm on it.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
For many, including me, it's hard to take the 'global warming' activist seriously. They never live up to the proposed objectives for everyone else. If they really believed about 'carbon footprints' they wouldn't be jetting around the world to attend all hyped conferences on global warming(Zoom conferences would work just fine). They would also forgo any unnecessary travel, such as vacations(holidays for you Europeans), ski trips, fishing/camping trips, etc., etc.

I’m not going to speak for climate activists. But as an example of one that is a counter example of your travel example there is Greta Thunberg. In spite of her propensity for sea sickness, she crosses oceans in sailing vessels.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

Yeah and they live in heated / cooled houses and use hot water! Hypocrites!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1. People’s daily driving is seldom over 75km which is the RAV4s electric range. (And Tesla shouldn’t be afraid of selling models with relatively “low range”.)
That's probably why they kept the Standard Range rear-wheel Model Y. Tho in the snow you'd want a front-motor version.

Tesla is at a weird point where they still don't have enough batteries or capacity to have all the models they could sell profitably.

-Crissa

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m not going to speak for climate activists. But as an example of one that is a counter example of your travel example there is Greta Thunberg. In spite of her propensity for sea sickness, she crosses oceans in sailing vessels.
She did this one time and one time only. She was being pressured to live up to her beliefs in global warming and carbon footprints. I believe she was caught not long after waiting for a flight.

But even so, do you seriously believe 1 person doing this 1 time will make a difference in global warming of the Earth?

It's all for show and nothing else.

It's reminiscent of the 'running out of crude oil' about 20 yrs ago.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's all for show and nothing else.

It's reminiscent of the 'running out of crude oil' about 20 yrs ago.
So she's fake if she does it and hypocritical if she doesn't?

Gosh, that seems like a winning argument. 9-9

(No offense meant, of course, just pointing out the obvious problem there)

-Crissa

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah and they live in heated / cooled houses and use hot water! Hypocrites!
EXACTLY! It's not necessary. If you REALLY believe in the 'in 10 yrs we are doomed if we don't act now"
you would forgo ANY AND ALL unnecessary causes of global warming, right?

If you don't then, well, you are the same as a snake oil salesman.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So she's fake if she does it and hypocritical if she doesn't?

Gosh, that seems like a winning argument. 9-9

(No offense meant, of course, just pointing out the obvious problem there)

-Crissa
No offense taken.

Again, 1 person doing this 1 time means squat!
Sponsored