GM unveils new electric motors that will power its future EVs, starting with Hummer EV

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
GM has unveiled its latest series of new electric motors that will power its future electric vehicles, starting with the Hummer EV.

With the Bolt EV coming out in 2016, GM has been selling electric vehicles for a long time, but the automaker has also been stuck on older EV technology.

GM is finally starting to release its latest EV technology, Ultium, in a series of new electric vehicles.

Today, at the 2021 Mackinac Policy Conference, General Motors president Mark Reuss revealed GM’s group of three all-new motors that will power its Ultium-based EVs.

Here are the three new electric motors:
  • 180 kW front-drive permanent magnet motor
  • 255 kW rear- and front-drive permanent magnet motor
  • 62 kW all-wheel drive assist induction motor
Here are some images of GM’s new Ulitum electric motors:

Tesla Cybertruck GM unveils new electric motors that will power its future EVs, starting with Hummer EV GM-UltiumDrive-005-62-kW-EVmotor

Tesla Cybertruck GM unveils new electric motors that will power its future EVs, starting with Hummer EV GM-UltiumDrive-003-255-kW-EVmotor
Tesla Cybertruck GM unveils new electric motors that will power its future EVs, starting with Hummer EV GM-UltiumDrive-004-180-kW-EVmotor

Reuss commented on the automaker’s latest electric motors:

Twenty years of electric drive system development and more than 100 years of high-volume vehicle engineering are helping GM pivot quickly from conventional vehicles to EVs. Our vertical integration in this space, encompassing both hardware and software, helps give us control over our own destiny and a significant competitive advantage.
The new electric motors can be configured in several different ways for different power and torque needs.

For example, the upcoming Hummer EV can be configured with up to three 255 kW motors.

GM also unveiled its new Ultium Drive motor controller:

GM engineers have also developed the software for Ultium Drive’s motor controllers, which is key to serving the propulsion needs of various vehicle types with a minimal set of components. These engineers, based at GM’s Global Technical Center in Warren, Michigan, Global Propulsion Systems in Pontiac, Michigan; and Milford Proving Ground, are part of the nearly 11,000 GM product development team members currently working in software development. This number is projected to grow with software serving as a critical pillar of GM’s vision of an all-electric future.
This new controller is also going to be first featured in the new GMC Hummer EV:

Tesla Cybertruck GM unveils new electric motors that will power its future EVs, starting with Hummer EV GM-UltiumDrive-001-PowerElectronics
The power electronics of GM’s Ultium-based EVs will be integrated directly into the Ultium Drive units, reducing costs, weight and manufacturing complexity while increasing reliability. The inverter and other power electronics like the accessory power module and onboard charging module will reside within boxes such as this inside GM’s Ultium Drive units.

GM says that its new power electronics will have “as much as 50% less mass and volume” than what is found in their current EVs while having “as much as 25% more capability.”

https://electrek.co/2021/09/21/gm-unveils-new-electric-motors-future-evs-hummer-ev/
Sponsored

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Time will tell if the legacy car makers can ramp up production in time to stay afloat.
Some may some may not.
I just bought some more Tesla stock.
I'm hitching my wagon to Elon's star.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Until they build it...

Tesla Cybertruck GM unveils new electric motors that will power its future EVs, starting with Hummer EV 58582c01f034562c582205ff

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
GM has unveiled its latest series of new electric motors that will power its future electric vehicles, starting with the Hummer EV.

With the Bolt EV coming out in 2016, GM has been selling electric vehicles for a long time, but the automaker has also been stuck on older EV technology.

GM is finally starting to release its latest EV technology, Ultium, in a series of new electric vehicles.

Today, at the 2021 Mackinac Policy Conference, General Motors president Mark Reuss revealed GM’s group of three all-new motors that will power its Ultium-based EVs.

GM-UltiumDrive-005-62-kW-EVmotor.jpg

GM-UltiumDrive-003-255-kW-EVmotor.jpg
GM-UltiumDrive-004-180-kW-EVmotor.jpg

The new electric motors can be configured in several different ways for different power and torque needs.

For example, the upcoming Hummer EV can be configured with up to three 255 kW motors.

This new controller is also going to be first featured in the new GMC Hummer EV:

GM-UltiumDrive-001-PowerElectronics.jpg
The power electronics of GM’s Ultium-based EVs will be integrated directly into the Ultium Drive units, reducing costs, weight and manufacturing complexity while increasing reliability. The inverter and other power electronics like the accessory power module and onboard charging module will reside within boxes such as this inside GM’s Ultium Drive units.

GM says that its new power electronics will have “as much as 50% less mass and volume” than what is found in their current EVs while having “as much as 25% more capability.”

https://electrek.co/2021/09/21/gm-unveils-new-electric-motors-future-evs-hummer-ev/
All three motors have the less efficient hairpin style armatures. It was a given that the Hummer was going to be an energy hog but this pretty much confirms it.

And if the power electronics have only 25% more capability than their current EV's then that Hummer is not going to be as fast as they have said. Or they are going to need a whole lot more power electronics units. Because a Hummer is not a Bolt in terms of energy required to get it going or keep it going.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All three motors have the less efficient hairpin style armatures
Maximising E-Machine Efficiency with Hairpin Windings

Conclusions
This paper has demonstrated the bespoke modelling capabilities in Motor-CAD for the analysis and design of hairpin windings. The modelling method of the hairpin winding using Motor-CAD is shown as well as the introduction of design rules and checks in the software. Based on a representative traction motor example, the influence of introducing more winding layers on the copper losses has been analysed, with the following conclusions:
  1. Using a higher number of winding layers does not always result in lower copper loss.
  2. The trade-off between DC and AC losses under different operating points should be considered when designing for the optimal number of winding layers.
Prepared by
Dr. Shaoshen Xue, Senior Research Engineer at MDL

https://www.motor-design.com/wp-con...iciency-with-Hairpin-Windings-White-Paper.pdf

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
And if the power electronics have only 25% more capability than their current EV's then that Hummer is not going to be as fast as they have said.
The way I read that is they get 25% more power out of the same size power module. I"m making up numbers here but if an old module that was a 1 foot cube box could put out 100A the new technology could get 125A out of the same 1ftÂł size power module. Yes I'm playing fast and loose with my units (started with power, ended in amps etc.)

That's how I understood what they were saying, I could be wrong.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The way I read that is they get 25% more power out of the same size power module. I"m making up numbers here but if an old module that was a 1 foot cube box could put out 100A the new technology could get 125A out of the same 1ftÂł size power module. Yes I'm playing fast and loose with my units (started with power, ended in amps etc.)

That's how I understood what they were saying, I could be wrong.

That is how I read it.

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag

GM-UltiumDrive-005-62-kW-EVmotor.jpg

GM-UltiumDrive-003-255-kW-EVmotor.jpg
GM-UltiumDrive-004-180-kW-EVmotor.jpg

GM-UltiumDrive-001-PowerElectronics.jpg

Good diversion from GMs total failue on HV batteries. Who'll buy a Bolt today? Good luck with that EHummer!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
All three motors have the less efficient hairpin style armatures.
The things with the hairpin windings are the stators.

While the ratio of what I don't know about motors to what I do know is a huge number hairpin winding is used to increase efficiency through higher filling factor.
Sponsored