Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Keeping safety in mind (fire resistant seat covers...) it would be more practical/efficient-whether as a camper/ a stranded motorist in inclement weather...- to have a "sleeping bag" /comparable blanket with an elastic boundary (similar to a fabric tire cover) in which one could wrap themselves AND the seat in rather than use the vehicles heating system?

From my intitial look a heated seat uses anywhere from 40ish watts up to 60/70watts and this is fantastically less than 1Kw, and more, that the regular heating system uses.

Would it work for campers/hunters/trekkers or even as an addition to ones "safety kit" for those in the upper Northern areas of the U.S and Canada?

What say you?
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I think you are over complicating it. Heated seat + standard blanket or sleeping bag which are already flame resistant. No need for some expensive cover fitted to the seat. Not with my money, that is.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I live in CT, not even a "northern" state persay, but I have a "winter" kit in my car. Sorel snow boots, blankets, hats, gloves, water and some food. Also, some tools, flashlights, etc.

I've often helped stranded motorists, or people waiting for a wrecker, and left stocks, blankets, etc., with them.

Last winter I watched a young lady drive into a telephone pole. She was driving much too fast in snow. Fortunately the 20 feet of stone wall riding slowed her down quite a bit, and she had a seat belt on, but the car was totaled. It was a heavy snow, she had no jacket, no shoes, no socks: yoga pants and tank top. Nothing else. May as well have been naked. I helped her out of the car, gave her 2 pairs of socks, LL Bean boots, a blanket and first aid while we waited for the ambulance. She took my number, promising to get the boots back, never happened though.

For the record, she would have been 100% fine if she had a correct seating position. She was too close to the wheel, the air bags went off, she was hit hard in the face, torso and arms.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
We often stargaze or camp in the car and yeah, the heated seats are far more efficient. I keep a down thrown in the car all the time, and we have these great coats my spouse loves to make that work great to augment a sleeping bag. Just that little heat under you and your body and fill out the rest.

Of course, if you want to do anything other than lay there (or be athletic under the covers) you'll want more than a blanket. The heated seats are super-useful because you're not moving away from them.

Another thing that's handy is that under the seat (the foot space or crumple space under them) is very steady of temperture, until you turn the heat on. Putting thermal mass (like water) there will slow the cabin's temperature change. And it keeps your water liquid the longest in freezing temps.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
if you want to do anything other than lay there (or be athletic under the covers)
LOL. Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Another thing that's handy is that under the seat (the foot space or crumple space under them) is very steady of temperture, until you turn the heat on. Putting thermal mass (like water) there will slow the cabin's temperature change. And it keeps your water liquid the longest in freezing temps.
Now there is a tip I’ll need to implement. Would be cool to find just the right container(s) to fill up the space and also not get loose under the driver’s feet.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Now there is a tip I’ll need to implement. Would be cool to find just the right container(s) to fill up the space and also not get loose under the driver’s feet.
I just use water bottles and pin them together. That way they're not blocking the floor vents and easy to grab. You could rig up a bottle holder from a bungie web or something if they were rattling too much. I usually just use a shoe to wedge in with them ^-^ Spare shoes tend to be on my floorboard.

-Crissa
Sponsored