How many Miles Will my EV Get When Towing?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
We don't have to win over everyone to win the battle. You cannot design a message that will prevent the stupidest and most stubborn old men in 2040 from saying "I refuse to drive one of those new-fangled 'lectric cars". There will always be that most selfish 1-5% for whom practicality is not their primary concern. Who will spend twice as much and drive out of their way to fill up with "good ol' gasoline". These will be people who are too fossilized in the brain to realize how slow and clunky thier V-8 really is and how much it costs to keep it on the road.

Just because a thing is sensible doesn't mean you can convince everyone it is. And it's a waste of energy to try. Economics (coupled with common sense) will take care of 95% of the transition to electric. The last stubborn 5%? Not so much. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think the medium term will not bode week for the RV industry. A slump has to be coming.

The industry got busier and busier due to travel restrictions, and post Covid the trend has continued.

Given It's what I want to do with my CT, I followed the prices, and RV prices have gotten more expensive, I perceive much more than general inflation.

Manufacturers are adding the bells and whistles and their offerings are at a higher price point, second hand prices remain high.

I regularly check the used classifieds. Here in AU, there's about ~ 7000 available, last night was the first time I've seen 8000+. So, maybe it has begun.

I’m in 2 minds… I've designed my layout, and want new, but I predict shares continuing fast growth. I want to hold on to as many as I can.,

I think in a couple of years, this golden era of the RV industry will be over.
A significant percentage will be jaded by the extra fuel and interest rate expense. The bell curve will ring true, and the market will be flooded with second hand late model product. imo

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I’m in 2 minds… I've designed my layout, and want new, but I predict shares continuing fast growth. I want to hold on to as many as I can.,
Buy an RV?!!? 😳 Don't you listen to Steve Lehto?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lehto+don't+buy+an+rv
His mini-series on not buying an RV is legendary, the gist is:

"Okay... if you're determined to STILL buy an RV, just don't make the mistake of buying a NEW RV. Let the original owner get all the warranty repairs done so it doesn't spend 90% of the RV season in the shop"

I, like you, will ignore that good advice, because the CyberTruck delay has moved my plans farther down the road. My plan was to get my CT... well... about 4-5 months from now, and buy an RV at the end of the season, using the winter to do repairs and upgrades to become exactly what me and the missus wanted, just in time for my 6/23 retirement date. 😫

Since the CT won't come until after I retire, I'll probably have to buy a new one to get the setup I want out of the gate. Not gonna spend the perfect RV season (in US) fixing up a used one. Mr. Lehto is going to unsubscribe me from his own channel for my stubborn insistence to dis-heed his wisdom. Oh well. I'll be retired and still rather handy. I hope it isn't a miserable few months. 😉👍

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
lol
PSA: Don't let stupid people near guns.

S1d3w1nd3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, GMC Acadia, Ram 3500 Cummins
Country flag
Range is why I upgraded to tri motor.

Originally I was going to get the dual motor which is IMO the best value truck on the market. But after buying my Model Y and seeing what the impact of having just a couple bikes hanging off the back did to my range, I quickly realized that maybe I should upgrade.

Problem I have is I ride bike and it's almost certain I'll want to be traveling with bikes hanging off the back or maybe a camp trailer which is going to hurt range.
I have been towing a 6 x 12’ enclosed single axle trailer this summer at 105 - 110 km/hr with my LR model Y with a weight of ~2500 lbs and I am getting ~120 km range, maxing out at 150 kms with no wind and slight elevation drop. Efficiency is ~27%.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
If you jump out of an airplane, that’s all you’ve got!
Oh, no no no no no.

The aerodynamics won’t stop you. The terra firma will though.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Just as the CT is opening a whole new market, with new ideas and concepts, the trailer business is a whole new market. Let’s face it, not a lot of brain wattage has been expended on how to make a trailer lighter, and more aerodynamic. Whether the answer is aero clean up and adding batteries, propulsion, regen back to the truck, whatever. This market is ripe for someone to come in and change things up.

30 years ago, only a few semis had any aero mods on the roof of the cab. If they did, they were add ons by the owners. Now they come standard with not on the cab, but the front, the lower sides, the lower sides of the trailer, and even a fold up back of the trailer. Point is, people discovered how to do it better. Same thing for planes. Look at the number of jets that have winglets. 3-5% improvement.

The trailer market will change and adapt. Just need the first one to be successful and the rest will follow.
Sponsored