A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Riiight. That's about as convincing as the video that appeared a few years ago showing the gal trying to "fill 'er up" at a gas station. But I laughed out loud when the trunk lid was raised and the gennie revealed.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
are these "famous" people? this is a lame 1. but surely will go viral if they are "influencers"

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It's intended to be amusing and it is. That alone may drive it to viral status,

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I was actually wondering this a bit, what wattage generator would be needed to charge the tesla with any decent rate?

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
That looks like Honda's 1 kW generator. If the vehicle used 250 Wh/mi it could put 4 miles into it in an hour.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
U was actually wondering this a bit, what wattage generator would be needed to charge the tesla with any decent rate?
I'm 57 years old and haven't run out of gas since I was 19 years old. We've had two Tesla for over two years and have never run out of electricity (it's literally everywhere there are buildings). I do carry my mobile connector but have never needed to plug in away from home (that's what Superchargers are for).

I expect to make it to the end of my life without ever having run out of electricity.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I do carry a 1 kWh battery pack on long trips. But I do it to keep the fridge cold over night.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
I'll do my best to be politically correct throughout the following statement: "BULLSHIT"

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You need a generator with a peak higher than 150% the wattage of the granny charger. So you need a 20 amp (at 120v) source. My 1500VA didn't work.

I expect to make it to the end of my life without ever having run out of electricity.
How do you know what your real range is if you never run out? ^-^

-Crissa

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
You need a generator with a peak higher than 150% the wattage of the granny charger. So you need a 20 amp (at 120v) source. My 1500VA didn't work.

How do you know what your real range is if you never run out? ^-^

-Crissa
My real range is that which I use. It's all I need. I have two sport-touring motorcycles that have a range of 180-300 miles (but everything has to be perfect to get over 280). Normal range is 230-240 miles. I know because I can look in the tank and see how little fuel is left every time I fill up. I've run it down to basically the fuel in the lines.

In an EV the only range I'm willing to use is down to a reported 0 miles left. Yes, I know there is probably 3 or four miles hiding in there when it says zero but I'll never use it because I have better trip planning skills than that.

BTW, I've added three miles of range to my Model 3 with my 1400 Wh Goal Zero battery power supply. It's max rated circuit is 15 amp/120 volt outlet. Two tricks to mobile connector to make this work:

I use a 120V adapter designed so you can put a grounded plug into a 120V outlet without a ground receptacle. I've modified it by shorting the ground to one of the flat prongs. This fools the mobile connector into thinking the circuit is grounded and allows you to charge.

Also, if you are charging from a current limited device like this, it can help to turn the maximum charge rate down to 10 amps (or even it's minimum of 8 amps) as the backup battery wears down and is unable to supply the full 12 amps that is the default charging rate on a 15 amp outlet.

I did these experiments to satisfy my own curiosity, not as some kind of "solution" for running out of battery power. Because that's something I don't intend to let happen.
Sponsored