I want to see this survey a year from now.

mlhartley

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD, 2017 Chevrolet Volt,
Occupation
Retired Web Programmer
Country flag

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
155 in market consumers were shown pictures. Hmm.. in market means at a dealership? was that a Ford dealer? Best part of study... Tesla goes from 27% appealing to 48% once brand and attributes are revealed. Ford goes from 60 to 75. In other words they gain 5% from telling people the specs and brand of an electric F150. Tesla nearly doubles in desirability. And the take away is that familiar design is desirable? Something is wrong here.... If the design is so desirable then Tesla should have changed very little since it is the least familiar design.
And lest I be accused of fanboyism... notice the hummer and rivian became less popular after people were told brand and "attributes" (assume price).
Among 18-35 group. The group most likely to consider buying a bev... Ford was 51% rated desirable, Tesla 49%. If I was Ford I would be very concerned that out of a group of 155 people the margin of error means Tesla electric truck might be more desirable than yours among group most likely to buy a bev truck.
There is another curious thing about this "study". Tesla comes in second in most desirable but comes in dead last on every attribute except in brand name it beats rivian. So the same people who ranked Tesla last on the attributes reported still would rather buy it?

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Familiarity is a temporary measure. Once Youtube videos of CT owners come out, sleeping in back of their CT looking at the stars (I really want that mid-gate) in a national park, the grin on their faces when they accelerate, accessories they add with the money left on their pocket due to lower purchase price, things get familiar fast. I took CT more seriously after watching the test drives. Actual people saying it floats over bumps made my booty demand that ride. Once more people start having conversations with owners in parking lots, and see the towing on the highway, familiarity edge shrinks real fast.

I have not looked into this but one edge CT may have Over competitors may be % of the truck and workforce that is American.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Familiarity is a temporary measure. One YouTube videos of CT owners come out, sleeping in back of their CT looking at the stars (I really want that mid gate) in a national park, the grin on their faces when they accelerate, accessories they add with the money left on their pocket due to lower purchase price, things get familiar fast. I took CT more seriously after watching the test drives. Actual people saying it floats over bumps made my booty demand that ride. Once more people start having conversations with owners in parking lots, and see the towing on the highway, familiarity edge shrinks real fast.

I have not looked into this but one edge CT may have Over competitors may be % of the truck and workforce that is American.
I want the mid gate more than you do based on survey i took of likely buyers in my immediate vicinity.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I want the mid gate more than you do based on survey i took of likely buyers in my immediate vicinity.
Then you will be more thrilled or more disappointed with the update (if it ever comes out). I am crossing my fingers you will be more thrilled ;)

Last edited:

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
The most concerning part that Ford should worry about is the price. You can configure a XLT F 150 with the 5.0 V8 2WD 4 DR 6.5Ft bed and it will cost you what the Dual Motor cyber truck will

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The most concerning part that Ford should worry about is the price. You can configure a XLT F 150 with the 5.0 V8 2WD 4 DR 6.5Ft bed and it will cost you what the Dual Motor cyber truck will
I think the only reason Ford is planning to have Electric F150 is that they have done the same math you just did. What is interesting is that they probably will be shooting themselves in the foot with every Electric F150 they sell because their ICE profit margin is likely to be higher. If Tesla succeed in keeping their manufacturing cost lower than everyone else, it puts Ford in a tough spot. They will have to either price their eF150 higher and lose customers to CT or price them competitively and kill their own bread and butter ICE truck market. If the big three can’t figure out how to make lower cost EV with “traditional look”, you may see a lot of triangular trucks with Chevy, Dodge and Ford logos on them 10 years down the road.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They managed to beat (barely) a truck that isn't yet delivering with a truck that is available on the lot?

That seems like a low bar. I also prefer to play the video game that exists vs the one that will release next year, too. It doesn't mean next year's game won't be better.

-Crissa

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Loses Out To Ford F-150 In Cox Survey Of US Pickup Buyers (yahoo.com) I can't wait to take my nephew for a ride in my Cybertruck. He is a Ford 150 fanatic through-and-through. He didn't want his dad to put a company sign on his GMC.
If I were Ford, I'd be terrified that that the new kid on the block who DOESN"T EVEN ADVERTISE has a truck that captured 49% of my market. The thing is, Ford advertising spends over 2 billion a year in the US alone. The ramifications are epic. The best selling truck in the world for 44 years is suddenly 51 to 49 against a truck that's not even on the market yet? Can you imagine in a couple of years? There's nothing Ford can do to stop the avalanche...as a a Ford owner for the last 25 years, there's nothing they can do to get me to buy another one of their rust buckets. ?

Last edited:

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'll bet the fix or repair daily truck will come in at around $67k not $49k

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
They managed to beat (barely) a truck that isn't yet delivering with a truck that is available on the lot?

That seems like a low bar. I also prefer to play the video game that exists vs the one that will release next year, too. It doesn't mean next year's game won't be better.

-Crissa
has Ford even given a spec list, price range or date of availability? Nope. Same false story from Ford for the last 5 years.