OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Spotted this in the Cybertruck feature by Jay Leno on CNBC.

Is this possibly the side view camera screen with a black cover over it, or is it only a door speaker?

Edit: they could be covering the side view camera screen for now, pending federal approval to launch the Cybertruck without traditional side mirrors.

Tesla Cybertruck Interior Side View Camera Screen Spotted?! Cybertruck Interior Side View Camera Screen
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I assume you are correct and that those are a not ready for primetime test version of side mirror displays. That is where I would want them. Tesla has to be working on what those displays would look like since they keep talking about how they want to get rid of side mirrors. I believe the NHTSA is currently examining allowing camera based mirrors in the future, so hopefully those laws change by the time the CyberTruck is live.

Sanzpeur

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor CT, '06 Ford F250 Super Duty, '18 Model 3 Dual Motor, '08 Subaru STI
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Is this possibly the side view camera screen with a black cover over it?

Or is it only a door speaker?

View attachment 2211
Good eye. It definitely looks a bit conspicuous to me. Could very well be the case, although I am not exactly sure why they would bother to cover it up. We all know they will need screens somewhere if they get approval to remove traditional side mirrors. I kind of hope that they don't try to squeeze them onto the center screen. Maybe they can come up with a smart solution that doesn't use too much screen real estate and then enlarges when you use the turn signal.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Is this possibly the side view camera screen with a black cover over it? Or is it only a door speaker?

Cybertruck Interior Side View Camera Screen.jpg
Wow great catch. Yes it is suspiciously angled. Right where a mirror display would go! Although it could just be the pillar that holds the window seal and mirror mount... But that angle so interesting.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Good eye. It definitely looks a bit conspicuous to me. Could very well be the case, although I am not exactly sure why they would bother to cover it up. We all know they will need screens somewhere if they get approval to remove traditional side mirrors. I kind of hope that they don't try to squeeze them onto the center screen. Maybe they can come up with a smart solution that doesn't use too much screen real estate and then enlarges when you use the turn signal.
Just guessing... They aren't showing it and haven't mentioned the side camera system. We can clearly see the cameras in the fender flares but Elon hasn't really talked about them. I think waiting for approval.

OP
OP

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I'll have to take a look at some of the test ride videos that are floating around out there. I don't recall seeing this thing on the door, but then again, I wasn't looking for it either.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
At first glance is just looks like a mount for a door tweeter, really common place for the to go. BUT.. it does looks like a great place for a screen. However i would have thought it would have been bigger.

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
Only thing that makes me think no is that its not ideal to have a screen that swings out and becomes exposed to rain/snow. Not a big deal to weatherproof it but I think its more likely they would mount the screen on the dash inside.

stumby

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P90D
Country flag
Only thing that makes me think no is that its not ideal to have a screen that swings out and becomes exposed to rain/snow. Not a big deal to weatherproof it but I think its more likely they would mount the screen on the dash inside.
I wouldn't like that placement. If they put the side view screens anywhere but around where the traditional mirrors would be (like in the photo), it's going to mess with a lot of drivers. You'll have to retrain your driving technique for checking the rear side view, as well as remember which vehicle you're in if you switch between the Cybertruck and another vehicle.

For that reason, I think what we're looking at are covered screens. Doesn't make sense to put them elsewhere really.

OP
OP

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag

I think locating the screen further forward would be too far to feel "natural". We're all trained to look right at that spot for the side view mirror.

But you do make a good point, it'll get wet at some point if it's mounted on the door there

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I think locating the screen further forward would be too far to feel "natural". We're all trained to look right at that spot for the side view mirror.

But you do make a good point, it'll get wet at some point if it's mounted on the door there
My phone is waterproof. Really a waterproof display isn't that hard.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
My phone is waterproof. Really a waterproof display isn't that hard.
The other thing if it's is a monitor, it would have to have a sun visor with the actual screen back in there a ways for glare. It looks that way to me with a soft cover to keep competition from knowing everything Tesla is doing.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Wow great catch OneLapper, I did a screen grab from a ride video of the night of the reveal. That looks like the perfect place for a side monitor. Look at how big the pillar is and how the windshield does a Z. It makes sense!

Tesla Cybertruck Interior Side View Camera Screen Spotted?! sidemirror
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: