Is there an Index Fund for EV & related?

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004-ish Toyota RAV4, 2015 Nissan Leaf, & 1973 Chevy Suburban w 454 [RIP 2008-ish Kia Sportage].
Occupation
E
Country flag
Before I started directing as much as possible of my investment dollars into TSLA, I had been a believer (and still am) of what I call the ‘John C. Bogle school of investing”. Bogle was the person who founded The Vanguard Group, and more to the point, the practice of Index Funds in general and especially low cost index funds.

Then I drained and almost cashed out most of my funds to purchase as much TSLA as possible. So far, so good. Also, I have recently placed some money (minuscule by most investors standards) into: CHPT (Chargepoint), EVGO (same name), LAC (Lithium Americas), PLL (Piedmont Lithium Ltd.) and of course kept my original TSLA. I have not (yet) purchased any ALB (Almemarle). I would prefer to instead get back into index fund investing, but I’m not satisfied with something like the “Vanguard 500 Index Fund”.

I want a low-cost index fund that concentrates on Electric Vehicles and related fields, incl. non-Tesla fast DC charging, lithium, and related minerals and/or resources. Some well thought out exposure to Solar would also be good. U.S. based and/or Non-Chinese companies would be preferred.

Does anyone know of an index fund that meets these desires,
or
Should I just keep on with my few selections and quantities of direct stock purchases?

Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
TSLA It’s a trillion dollar fund with a broad set of investments in battery technology, electric vehicles, solar, power storage, automated driving, and Artificial Intelligence.

There are no management fees.

Joking… but not really, lots of times diversification works against you.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Before I started directing as much as possible of my investment dollars into TSLA, I had been a believer (and still am) of what I call the ‘John C. Bogle school of investing”. Bogle was the person who founded The Vanguard Group, and more to the point, the practice of Index Funds in general and especially low cost index funds.

Then I drained and almost cashed out most of my funds to purchase as much TSLA as possible. So far, so good. Also, I have recently placed some money (minuscule by most investors standards) into: CHPT (Chargepoint), EVGO (same name), LAC (Lithium Americas), PLL (Piedmont Lithium Ltd.) and of course kept my original TSLA. I have not (yet) purchased any ALB (Almemarle). I would prefer to instead get back into index fund investing, but I’m not satisfied with something like the “Vanguard 500 Index Fund”.

I want a low-cost index fund that concentrates on Electric Vehicles and related fields, incl. non-Tesla fast DC charging, lithium, and related minerals and/or resources. Some well thought out exposure to Solar would also be good. U.S. based and/or Non-Chinese companies would be preferred.

or
Should I just keep on with my few selections and quantities of direct stock purchases?

Batt

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I have to agree with @Ogre on this one.

Having said that.. there are probably 100's of renewable energy funds. Black rock has a fund ticker UCITS thats geared towards the transition to BEV's and vehicle tech.. but its basically just a bunch of OEM's and parts supplier with Tesla being the top holding.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

or

Ark has several focused funds. Not really low cost funds but why do you want low cost? Cost is worth it if you are paying for someone who returns extra....
You are saying 2 opposing things... you want expert management but you don't want to pay for a good expert.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
If you think about it, Tesla is an ETF on its own lol. Vehicle production, Energy, Insurance, AI, Software services and soon to be Ride-Hailing services. All centered around accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy.

But I understand what you are referring to. I personally have 75% of my portfolio in TSLA and about 20% spread across the 6 ARK ETFs. 2020 was huge but 2021 has allowed for lower entry points to buy ARK. I would be buying more ARK now if it wasn't for me loading up on all of the TSLA I can get right now.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The big problem is see is there are so many companies in this industry which have become overpriced because it is a hot industry. A few thought full picks will take you a lot further than a basket of random stocks in the industry

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The big problem is see is there are so many companies in this industry which have become overpriced because it is a hot industry. A few thought full picks will take you a lot further than a basket of random stocks in the industry
Yes, this is what I am doing. I have Tesla stocks and the Lion Electric Company (LEV.TO) in Canada, which is also known as the Lion Electric Company (LEV) in the US, which is being deployed in the US for production. They will produce special EVs in the US. Their stocks are at a very good price (I think?) and the Canadian and Quebec governments are encouraging buyers with the idea of electrifying the whole vehicle fleet of the Province (Hydro Quebec) and the whole Country (Going Green).

Last edited:

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just bought $10,000 each of TSLA and BYDDY stocks today. Part of my dollar cost average for every month forward. Lots of great stock tips regarding those two on You Tube.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I completely agree. It’s hard to tell what’s real value right now vs speculative or just excess funds in the market due to Covid. You could look across a lot of industries and find that they are producing and or profiting 10 to 20 percent less than 2019, but somehow are valued 300% more. I think once the commodity market cools down and the rich guys can start investing in real assets again, the market will have a steady decline for a few years.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I completely agree. It’s hard to tell what’s real value right now vs speculative or just excess funds in the market due to Covid. You could look across a lot of industries and find that they are producing and or profiting 10 to 20 percent less than 2019, but somehow are valued 300% more. I think once the commodity market cools down and the rich guys can start investing in real assets again, the market will have a steady decline for a few years.
My guess on my portfolio is Tesla and some (Lion) for good measure because "All I Want For Christmas..." - YouTube .

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Update: Lion seems to be doing good although their stock prices are low right now.
Ref: Lion Electric receives order for 200 all-electric buses from Langs Bus Lines (yahoo.com)
I really think tesla is going to have the Apple effect for a long time. They are going to be the main show in town for a long time. The brand is just ridiculously strong. I messed around with a couple other EV stocks for a while and they seem to just keep sinking while Telsa doubles.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I really think tesla is going to have the Apple effect for a long time. They are going to be the main show in town for a long time. The brand is just ridiculously strong. I messed around with a couple other EV stocks for a while and they seem to just keep sinking while Telsa doubles.
Yes and no, that is why I have about 80% in Tesla and 20% in Lion. However, Lion is doing 100% what Tesla is NOT doing. So yes, I trust in Tesla, but add-in 100% of non-Tesla EV for 20%. :)
Sponsored