Locking in FSD price with CyberTruck order

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata
Country flag
One thing that pushed me to place my CT order was the fact that the ordering page had a check box for adding FSD for $7000 that said it would lock in that price.

I‘m curious what other people think about my take on this.

I expect based on what Elon and Tesla have said, that the FSD option will steadily rise in price as the capabilities of AP increase. For example when “Feature Complete” FSD is widely released in 2020. The endpoint of the price rises would be when FSD enables Teslas to operate under Tesla Network as Robotaxis summoned by a TN app that’s like Uber and when owners can choose to let their vehicles join for a share of the fees earned. At that point if the FSD software option bears the full value increase, a CT that costs $50k as a vehicle might have FSD software option priced at $50k too. Even at that price it might pay itself off in a couple years working full time available 24/7. (Based on Tesla’s presentation on Autonomy)

There wasn’t any way to bet on this increase in the price of the FSD option - until that check box on the CT order page. For $100 per vehicle, you can lock in a $7000 FSD price on a Tesla for at least the next 2 years. If during that period the price spread doesn’t make your order worth more, you can get your money refunded. If the price of FSD when your order comes up and you’re asked to proceed with the purchase is say $20k, since Tesla has consistent pricing, you can buy the vehicle for whatever it costs and resell it to make about $20k - $7k profit (minus some expenses).

It seems to me that the opportunity to lock in a $7000 price for FSD on a Tesla vehicle for 2 years, for a fully refundable $100 deposit is worth it even if you don’t think you’ll actually want to buy and keep the CyberTruck.

Thoughts?
Where did you see that it locks in FSD price for two years? The pre-order agreement doesn't list anything about FSD, but the ordering page sounds like it locks the price in indefinitely.
Sponsored