Lordstown missing details on Endurance despite saying they're shipping early 2021

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
CT can handle 3,500 lb payload in all 3 configurations, due to beefy suspension, but towing is 7K, 10K and 14K due to pulling capacity.
Sponsored

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
CT can handle 3,500 lb payload in all 3 configurations, due to beefy suspension, but towing is 7K, 10K and 14K due to pulling capacity.
I'm going to have to agree with TruckDaddy on this one. People who know what they are talking about do not talk about a vehicle's specs that way. Technically correct? If you guys say so.

I say the author didn't have a clue.

And do you also approve of him/her comparing tow rating to curb weight?

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
And do you also approve of him/her comparing tow rating to curb weight?
When you're towing something, doesn't that something's curb weight need to stay within your towing capacity?

I will not argue that the article is not phrased awkwardly. Just that it didn't mix the specs up.

-Crissa

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
When you're towing something, doesn't that something's curb weight need to stay within your towing capacity?

I will not argue that the article is not phrased awkwardly. Just that it didn't mix the specs up.

-Crissa
I used to drive an El Camino from the 70's that couldn't even handle its own weight over any bump. HARD clunk! Payload zero. Towing capacity: maybe a jet ski.

But people thought it was tough 40 years ago because "It had a 350!!" Was not fast at all and burned a lot of gas to prove it.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
So I imagine that the in hub motors must be a linear synch motor type setup to keep rpm low or do people think they incorporate reduction gear with a switched reluctance?

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag

Lots of questions left unanswered. If they're shipping, why do we know nothing about their motors? Who would buy a truck without any information?

And while they're side-stepping onto the stock market, too.

Compared to the Cybertruck, which they say they'll beat to market, their details are thin. And no one in the press has gotten to ride in the Endurance, either. And now their press room stopped talking.

-Crissa

Lots of questions left unanswered. If they're shipping, why do we know nothing about their motors? Who would buy a truck without any information?

And while they're side-stepping onto the stock market, too.

Compared to the Cybertruck, which they say they'll beat to market, their details are thin. And no one in the press has gotten to ride in the Endurance, either. And now their press room stopped talking.

-Crissa
Attended the Houston Alpha version fleet presentation. Never saw it move. The J1772 charge port was located on the driver's side front panel, but they reported it would be relocated to the grill. The frunk was not opened.
While the specs were not CT impressive, the fleet truck concept is a good business model. A Houston PD procurement officer attended, who was not familiar with the EV advantage. His hands were tied to support the truck basis the city bidding process only considers the purchase price, while the maintenance cost fall under a different budget. Since Houston floods regularly, I asked how high water the Endurance could navigate, they said 3 feet, which the HPD guy remarked he wanted that in writing. As an EV guy, 3 ft seems reasonable, I believe CT, Vivian, etc could be similar.
Lordstown folks believe they can produce 600,000 annually, but could not answer if they can produce batteries for that volume.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A purchase procedure that doesn't take into account maintenance? That's... Terrible. And not just because EVs always lose that war.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I don't think endurance will actually happen with hub motors. I shudder to think of the unsprung weight.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think endurance will actually happen with hub motors. I shudder to think of the unsprung weight.
Hub motors aren't as heavy as they used to be. They don't weigh much more than old steel wheels. So while unsprung weight is an issue, it's not like they're lead.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Hub motors aren't as heavy as they used to be. They don't weigh much more than old steel wheels. So while unsprung weight is an issue, it's not like they're lead.

-Crissa
Yes I don't know how much they weigh... but something is wrong with Lordstown. They are having issues somewhere and I don't think its batteries.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think they're behind where they wanted to be, because they have an exec that's more able to pander than engineer.

It took every other company years to get a truck out the door, I don't know why they were promising so soon.

They didn't seem to know how much work and how different it would be from building a traditional ICE truck.

-Crissa
Sponsored