John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Call it whatever you want. My point is Tesla wanted $16k for a repair that was pretty simple and certainly did not require a full battery pack swap out. This seems pretty wasteful. More specifically, this type of thing is bound to happen more often in a truck bound for the off road. If every little repair is going to come with 4 or 5 figure bill from Tesla our insurance is going to be...
The CT’s full body skid plate offers more protection. Not a justification, slightly more peace of mind.
Sponsored

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Interesting article. While I can't speak for their specific circumstance, I can give you real-life experiences from a model 3 owner.

I've had to have my m3 repaired on 3 separate occasions, yup, 3 on a 3, haha!

First time, some ass walking by kicked the rear bumper of the car. Just out-right stomped on it as hard as he could. Camera caught it all, but with the angle of the cameras we couldn't catch his face. Just an older white guy is about as far as we could tell. The bumper was damaged and one of the sensors embedded in the bumper had popped out and (I assume) was just hanging out somewhere inside of it. Anyway! Tesla came to our house and repaired this for $70 and in about an hour, this included a new sensor. This repair was not under warranty.

Second time, our rear light was getting all fogged up inside the plastic casing. Once again, Tesla came out to a parking lot that the car was in while we were at dinner with some family. Came out to brand new rear light and no cost at all. This was under warranty.

Third time, a few things happened and may be the closest personal experience to the article you mentioned. My wife accidentally drove VERY HIGH up on to a VERY TALL curb, dislodging the battery pack in some way. I don't know the extent of the damage except that the plastic cover was dragging on the ground and the car was driving very sluggishly, like it couldn't get enough juice. The timing also lined up with needing a new set of tires. We took it (very slowly) to a Tesla repair center, first time going, and the guy charged a little over $900 for 4 new tires, mounting, balancing, and the battery/underskirt repair. None of this was under warranty. Personally, I think this was an absolute STEAL and it was all done in about 4 hours--the battery repair took quite a while. This was not under warranty.

Personally, I've been very impressed by the Tesla repair teams.

Cheers!

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Third time, a few things happened and may be the closest personal experience to the article you mentioned. My wife accidentally drove VERY HIGH up on to a VERY TALL curb, dislodging the battery pack in some way. I don't know the extent of the damage except that the plastic cover was dragging on the ground and the car was driving very sluggishly, like it couldn't get enough juice. The timing also lined up with needing a new set of tires. We took it (very slowly) to a Tesla repair center, first time going, and the guy charged a little over $900 for 4 new tires, mounting, balancing, and the battery/underskirt repair. None of this was under warranty. Personally, I think this was an absolute STEAL and it was all done in about 4 hours--the battery repair took quite while. This was not under warranty.
was that $900 total for the tires, plastic skid and battery repair too? Or, was the skirt and battery a separate cost?

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
was that $900 total for the tires, plastic skid and battery repair too? Or, was the skirt and battery a separate cost?
For everything. It was $914 (or something similar).

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Good price, IMO. Cheers
My Tesla App still has the invoice from the service appointment:

Mount and balance 4 new tires -- $110 per tire, unit price $180 -- total $720
Exterior battery trim resecured under main battery panel -- $48
Front battery casing replacement -- $115 <--- this was as plastic cover piece, NOT part of the actual battery
Battery remount and adjustment -- $55

Total -- $938

She still drives like new!

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
My Tesla App still has the invoice from the service appointment:

Mount and balance 4 new tires -- $110 per tire, unit price $180 -- total $720
Exterior battery trim resecured under main battery panel -- $48
Front battery casing replacement -- $115 <--- this was as plastic cover piece, NOT part of the actual battery
Battery remount and adjustment -- $55

Total -- $938

She still drives like new!
I like that the app keeps the invoice. All these fixes and prices seem reasonable.
Sponsored