Maybe I shouldn't wait for the CT anymore.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I drive one hybrid (Pacifica), and one ICE (Volvo). I have a reservation number that puts me around 20,000 in line for a CT and my plan was to replace the Volvo with the CT.

As a side hustle I do wildlife habitat restoration work. I get along just fine pulling a small trailer with my Volvo, or using the actually large space in my van. I have always wanted a truck, and used to own one, but shifted away. The release of the cybertruck was perfect for me - I could have a truck again, do my work easier, and not worry about a gas guzzler.

But Texas has made me rethink my plan. I don't know that I want to wait for the CT. The Texas situation is partly horrible mismanagement, but also climate change related. And every day I drive my ICE vehicle I will now wonder if what I'm doing is the best I can do.

I'm thinking about cancelling my CT reservation and going Model Y. It tows 3,500 lbs which is plenty for me to keep up my current type of work. I can't haul the tractor, but I rarely need to do that now as it is. Yeah the CT is cool AF but it's going to be at least a year, and that just feels much too long.

Is anyone else on this forum feeling the same way?
I know it is a wait. I am further down the waiting list from you, I am looking at the second year easily. But, if you want it get it. I think you would do well with the model Y every day of the year. I suggest, as a standard range model 3 owner, you get the dual motor option! I love my RWD but I do lose traction a bit in the slick of winter where I live... with good snow tires! If you can wait though, get the truck with the bed and all the 007 options. You will find reasons to have it after you buy it. I have a truck, a lowly grunt of a single cab 1971 F250, but the things I can do with it that would crush a car, even a Tesla, I would have never imagined before I purchased it. Also, the CT seats as many as my 3, so the wait is the only compromise.

Bud

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You have another year to wait.

The production of a vehicle costs energy, so replacing a car has an environmental impact.

The weather in Texas last week was a direct result of climate instability caused by global warming.

-Crissa
Where I live the Rising water table & Hurricanes are the problem. Can't wait to do my little part.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Cancel your reservation and buy a Y, please. I’m 428,000+ in line and need some of you to cancel so I can get mine sooner. Light your incense, get in a lotus position and start your new mantra:
Buy a Y.

Buy a Y.

Buy a Y.

Buy a Y.

Buy a Y.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I drive one hybrid (Pacifica), and one ICE (Volvo). I have a reservation number that puts me around 20,000 in line for a CT and my plan was to replace the Volvo with the CT.

As a side hustle I do wildlife habitat restoration work. I get along just fine pulling a small trailer with my Volvo, or using the actually large space in my van. I have always wanted a truck, and used to own one, but shifted away. The release of the cybertruck was perfect for me - I could have a truck again, do my work easier, and not worry about a gas guzzler.

But Texas has made me rethink my plan. I don't know that I want to wait for the CT. The Texas situation is partly horrible mismanagement, but also climate change related. And every day I drive my ICE vehicle I will now wonder if what I'm doing is the best I can do.

I'm thinking about cancelling my CT reservation and going Model Y. It tows 3,500 lbs which is plenty for me to keep up my current type of work. I can't haul the tractor, but I rarely need to do that now as it is. Yeah the CT is cool AF but it's going to be at least a year, and that just feels much too long.

Is anyone else on this forum feeling the same way?
Don't cancel! If you want to offset your carbon just eat more plant based food and cut back on animal products. It healthier and makes a huge difference.
http://css.umich.edu/factsheets/carbon-footprint-factsheet
The difference between 1 hamburger meal and 1 veggie burger meal is 6 lbs of co2.
1 gallon of gas is 19 lbs of co2. If your Volvo gets 21 miles per gallon you can offset 7 miles just by swapping a little food.

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Yep, not sure which one yet tho, but using "fossil fuel" doesn't bother me considering the earth spews 10's, possibly 100's of millions of barrels into the environment ( water and land) every year through fissures or seeps ( just in the Gulf of Mexico 80,000 - 200,000 tonnes per year), since such has been going on for a LONG LONG LONG time there are ways the earth handles it.

Again I am not too worried.
Yes the Earth does this naturally - but human civilization adds far more CO2 through the use of fossil fuels to the environment what nature does annually, so don't imply that fossil fuels aren't really so bad - they are.

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
The Texas situation is not climate change related.

Upgrading to electric one year earlier will have literally zero impact on the situation.

But it might help your feelings and self worth, so I say go for it! Cancel it and I will get my gorgeous steal beast a few minutes earlier!
Upgrading to an EV will have an impact as he's using less fossil fuel.....it may be small as its only one, but it's not zero.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
No.

Weather usually has no direct connection.

However, the entire weather pattern we had last week affected more than Texas. It was a loop of the jet stream that weakened and dipped much lower than normal. In a pattern that was world wide.

It wasn't just 'weather'.

It was a global occurance.

-Crissa
Weather is local - climate is the greater area... hence a jet stream loop is climate.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
if you’re going to cite something for scientific discussion, probably best to not to use a web comic. It’s not accurate.

but it’s also not important. Fundamentally, by definition, the freaky Texas weather is not an example of climate. It’s an example of weather. Climate is the prevailing weather pattens over a long period. So one incident is not an example or a sign of climate change. It hasn’t happened in the last 10 years, so there is no trend. It has happened 100 years ago, so there is indication of the opposite of trend.
True however the last time this happened, reports recommended Texas upgrade its grid - it didn't - soooo now the finger pointing begins and the blame shell game.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Upgrading to an EV will have an impact as he's using less fossil fuel.....it may be small as its only one, but it's not zero.
no, because if he doesn’t buy the y someone else will. They sell them as fast as they can make them.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Don't cancel! If you want to offset your carbon just eat more plant based food and cut back on animal products. It healthier and makes a huge difference.
The difference between 1 hamburger meal and 1 veggie burger meal is 6 lbs of co2.
1 gallon of gas is 19 lbs of co2. If your Volvo gets 21 miles per gallon you can offset 7 miles just by swapping a little food.
Gimme my steak n eggs
i will eat my steak n eggs or GREASY double quarter pounder with cheese or 2 lb prime rib or bacon ends or....
You can have your slice of banana with kiwi juice or the new "plant based meat protein" substitute - THAT aint for me!
Eggs cooked in bacon grease with salt is magnifico!
Additionally I used to love and eat seafood ( clams, lobster, shrimp...), now I just love seafood but refrain from eating it because I view the oceans/seas and some lakes and other waterways as giant TOILET BOWLS. Personal preference.

Last edited:

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Cancel your reservation and buy a Y, please. I’m 428,000+ in line and need some of you to cancel so I can get mine sooner. Light your incense, get in a lotus position and start your new mantra:
Buy a Y.

Buy a Y.

Buy a Y.

Buy a Y.

Buy a Y.
I bet a ridiculous number of people won’t actually follow through and the reservations will be filled in short order once production ramps up.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Gimme my steak n eggs

i will eat my steak n eggs or GREASY double quarter pounder with cheese or 2 lb prime rib or bacon ends or....
You can have your slice of banana with kiwi juice or the new "plant based meat protein" substitute - THAT aint for me!
Eggs cooked in bacon grease with salt is magnifico!
Additionally I used to love and eat seafood ( clams, lobster, shrimp...), now I just love seafood but refrain from eating it because I view the oceans/seas and some lakes and other waterways as giant TOILET BOWLS. Personal preference.
Good for you! I personally don't care what you eat... I was just giving the guy an option for offsetting his Volvo if he wanted it...
Something tells me you have never had the plant based substitute. If you ever go to burger King you can get the impossible whopper and see if you can tell the difference. Or not if it's to threatening for you.
Sponsored