Maybe I shouldn't wait for the CT anymore.

OP
OP
WildhavenMI

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Why is my old thread so active now lmao
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I've been to Tesla chargers in 5 cities and I've only seen a single charger offline and that was reflected in the app.
Tesla chargers go down (or get knocked down) too. I don't supercharge much and I've seen
1)Terminal knocked over
2)One cabinet failed taking out 2 terminals (of 8 - wouldn't charge more than a kW or 2)
3)Little button on wand that opens charge door didn't work.

None of these were reflected in app or in car. The weird thing about No. 3 is that the last 2 SC I used (both in Maine) had this fault. No, it's not my car. Works fine with HPWC.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
You have another year to wait.

The production of a vehicle costs energy, so replacing a car has an environmental impact.

The weather in Texas last week was a direct result of climate instability caused by global warming.

-Crissa

This is true, but replacing a car doesn't usually mean taking the old one off the road. Most of the time the car being replaced goes into the used market hopefully providing a better cleaner option for someone who does not have the resources to buy a new EV, and pushing an even older, less reliable, dirtier car toward the scrap pile.

I don't think anyone should feel bad about trading a working ICE car for an EV. Yes that ICE car has more life left in it, but it will likely continue to live on and be used, just in someone else's driveway.

I bought a PHEV as soon as I could afford to with this in mind. When I am done with it it will move on to someone who cannot afford a new one. I bought the LEAF I did because no one wanted it with such low range (It's battery is somewhat degraded) but it suited the amount of driving I did and has, in the 4 years I have been driving it, paid for any maintenance I have done including tires, window tint, brakes... just in gas savings vs the Jeep it replaced.

Now I am in the position to afford a CT which I will probably drive for 20 years. I miss the Jeep for it's cargo capacity and towing ability. It was just a Patriot, so it couldn't tow much, but it was handy to be able to hook a small trailer up now and then to carry more. I look forward to regaining those abilities in spades with the CT.

I have been trying to rent a truck/small van recently to do a garage cleanup and dump run. My rental reservation last week was cancelled the night before. Fingers crossed next week's reservation doesn't also get cancelled. I don't think I can wait till the CT comes for this job.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
This is true, but replacing a car doesn't usually mean taking the old one off the road. Most of the time the car being replaced goes into the used market hopefully providing a better cleaner option for someone who does not have the resources to buy a new EV, and pushing an even older, less reliable, dirtier car toward the scrap pile.

I don't think anyone should feel bad about trading a working ICE car for an EV. Yes that ICE car has more life left in it, but it will likely continue to live on and be used, just in someone else's driveway.
I agree.

Two more points

With each turnover of a vehicle to a different owner the vehicle has a high probability of traveling fewer miles per year because vehicles of increased age & higher mileage are less reliable.

Inefficient ICE cars move to owners that drive fewer miles per year who are impacted less by the inefficiency. This results in less pollution overall even though vehicles still in operation.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla chargers go down (or get knocked down) too. I don't supercharge much and I've seen
1)Terminal knocked over
2)One cabinet failed taking out 2 terminals (of 8 - wouldn't charge more than a kW or 2)
3)Little button on wand that opens charge door didn't work.

None of these were reflected in app or in car. The weird thing about No. 3 is that the last 2 SC I used (both in Maine) had this fault. No, it's not my car. Works fine with HPWC.
Any manufactured device can break or fail or go off-line. But in three years of owning two Model 3's (one with free Supercharging for life), I've never found a Supercharger location that I had to wait at or couldn't charge at.

That is a lot more than I can say about gas stations I visited in the previous three years! Pumps out of order, entire stations down, power failures, out of fuel, long lines at lower priced stations, etc.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
With each turnover of a vehicle to a different owner the vehicle has a high probability of traveling fewer miles per year because vehicles of increased age & higher mileage are less reliable.
Why does this phenomenon require transfer to a new owner to manifest itself?

mattcatt

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-3, Mini Cooper
Country flag
I wonder if you can sell your spot in line... just askin'

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
That is a lot more than I can say about gas stations I visited in the previous three years! Pumps out of order, entire stations down, power failures, out of fuel, long lines at lower priced stations, etc.

Yup, centralized energy is not perfectly reliable.

I want to work towards independence with rooftop solar, powerwall, and EV.

-----------------

2021 September 25
Lengthy queues of vehicles snaked their way to gas stations in Britain
Long queues and fuel rationing as Britain faces truck driver shortage
By Michael Holden
https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/br...rules-truck-driver-shortage-bites-2021-09-25/

-----------------

2021 May 7 - 14
On Friday, May 7, Colonial Pipeline employees discovered the company's financial servers had been hacked, allegedly by a Russia-based hacker group called DarkSide, according to NBC News.
On May 11, according to S&P Global, the U.S. EPA is letting the 12 most affected states (and Washington, D.C.) sell unregulated gas through the end of May, because they have been most affected by the shutdown. These states are: Alabama, Delaware, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia, as well as D.C.
Gas stations across the South, Southeast, and the East Coast may also experience shortages, as per NPR.
Worried About the Gas Shortage? What's Happening, Which States Are Affected, and More
By Lizzy Rosenberg
May. 14 2021
https://www.greenmatters.com/p/what-states-are-affected-by-the-gas-shortage

-----------------

Colonial Pipeline temporarily halts fuel delivery as Hurricane Ida hits
By Michelle Chen
Aug 2021
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...pipeline-hurricane-ida-gas-prices/5647632001/

-----------------

2019 Mar 18
Verify: What is causing the gas shortage at Arizona Circle Ks, Fry's, Sam's club stations?
If you've tried to get gas at a Circle K gas station in the past couple days you may have been out of luck. We verify what is causing the shortage and when the company thinks gas will be available again.

-----------------

2019 Apr 1
Fuel shortage continues to impact Circle K and Fry's Fuel Centers in Arizona
Valley drivers need to pay close attention, because the next gas station they pull into may be "all out" of fuel.
"It's beyond frustration," said Phoenix motorist Nina Flloyd. "If you're on 'E' and pull up to a pump and there's no gas, that's more than frustrating, that's a problem."
Dozens of Circle K's and Fry's Fuel Centers are running on empty, with pumps shut down due to a lack of fuel.
By Jason Barry
https://www.azfamily.com/news/fuel-...cle_b34d1e92-54d2-11e9-acdd-774800d6a9ad.html

2019 April 2
Circle K can't estimate when Arizona fuel shortage will end
By Ryan Randazzo
The Republic | azcentral.com
https://www.azcentral.com/story/mon...age-arizona-continue-indefinitely/3342552002/

-----------------

2019 Mar 19
Texas petrochemical fire spreads to more storage tanks after firefighting snag
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/19/houston-area-chemical-fire-expected-to-burn-for-days.html

-----------------

2019 July 3
Minnesota, Gov. Tim Walz signs order to ease fuel delivery amid Minnesota gas shortage
Citing a fuel shortage in the state of Minnesota, Gov. Tim Walz has issued an emergency executive order that lifts some restrictions for drivers of commercial vehicles who are providing direct assistance to relief efforts by delivering gasoline, diesel fuel or fuel oil.
The order says that unanticipated events, including last year’s fire at the Husky Energy refinery in Superior, Wisconsin, have disrupted the normal supply of petroleum products in Minnesota. That’s caused a shortage at some gas stations.
Walz’s order says Minnesota motorists risk being stranded during the peak July Fourth travel week if they don’t have access to fuel.
By The Associated Press | [email protected] |
https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/...se-fuel-delivery-amid-minnesota-gas-shortage/

-----------------

2018 July 12
Gas pains: Drivers fume about mystery fuel shortage in Ottawa
Ottawa drivers are baffled by an apparent gasoline shortage, with a number of filling stations in the city claiming to have not received fuel shipments for days.
An employee at one of those stations said they first ran out of gas on Saturday night, only to be refueled on Sunday, before running out again on Monday. It’s unclear when this station will be able to selling gasoline again.
CTVNews.ca Staff
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/gas...out-mystery-fuel-shortage-in-ottawa-1.4010530

-----------------

Last edited:

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yup, centralized energy is not perfectly reliable.

I want to work towards independence with rooftop solar, powerwall, and EV.

-----------------

2021 September 25
Lengthy queues of vehicles snaked their way to gas stations in Britain
Long queues and fuel rationing as Britain faces truck driver shortage
By Michael Holden
https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/br...rules-truck-driver-shortage-bites-2021-09-25/

-----------------

2021 May 7 - 14
On Friday, May 7, Colonial Pipeline employees discovered the company's financial servers had been hacked, allegedly by a Russia-based hacker group called DarkSide, according to NBC News.
On May 11, according to S&P Global, the U.S. EPA is letting the 12 most affected states (and Washington, D.C.) sell unregulated gas through the end of May, because they have been most affected by the shutdown. These states are: Alabama, Delaware, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia, as well as D.C.
Gas stations across the South, Southeast, and the East Coast may also experience shortages, as per NPR.
Worried About the Gas Shortage? What's Happening, Which States Are Affected, and More
By Lizzy Rosenberg
May. 14 2021
https://www.greenmatters.com/p/what-states-are-affected-by-the-gas-shortage

-----------------

Colonial Pipeline temporarily halts fuel delivery as Hurricane Ida hits
By Michelle Chen
Aug 2021
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...pipeline-hurricane-ida-gas-prices/5647632001/

-----------------
I have Solar City/Tesla Panels on my home for 6+ years now. Communicating with questions about adding additional panels to my existing system to Tesla is impossible. All they are focused on is new sales of full systems. I would like to add a Powerwall, too expensive at this point. Why not a Lease? Elon, you listening?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have Solar City/Tesla Panels on my home for 6+ years now. Communicating with questions about adding additional panels to my existing system to Tesla is impossible. All they are focused on is new sales of full systems. I would like to add a Powerwall, too expensive at this point. Why not a Lease? Elon, you listening?
They were listening, but then they got hammered by the lending market for leasing them. Until battery supplies and panel production matches demand, I doubt they'll bring back the leases.

-Crissa
Sponsored