Model (toy) Cybertruck has 6th seat

Snorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 x MX
Country flag
I really need a 6 seat cybertruck and am a day 1 reservation holder. I was super disappointed to learn that it was only going to be offered in a 5 seat configuration.

I ordered the model CT from the Tesla website for my son for Xmas. I was looking at the interior the other day and noticed the front seat seemed to have a folded middle seat.

So I took it apart and sure enough there is a folding middle seat in the front row. Given that Tesla advertises the model as being designed with the original CAD files used to make the real thing, it seems to me that the 6 seat version almost made it to production, or else the model would have use the most recent CAD files.

I have heard others claim that the center screen makes it difficult to position an airbag for a middle seat, but I haven’t sat in one so I’m not sure how true that is.

Does anyone think/know a 6 seat option will be offered in the future?
Sponsored

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Unlikely due to Tesla wanting to keep the screen where it is, hard to have an airbag come out of the screen.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
They moved away from the front bench seat for some reason. I'm guessing safety may have been a problem, front airbags and side impact airbags may have contributed.

OP
OP

Snorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 x MX
Country flag
3 seats fit in the back, they could have made 3 fit in the front.

Not convinced that they couldn’t figure out the safety angle but that’s the leading theory. I suppose cost savings could play into it.

Strange to me that they also don’t offer a 7 seat option for the MXP.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
3 seats fit in the back, they could have made 3 fit in the front.

Not convinced that they couldn’t figure out the safety angle but that’s the leading theory. I suppose cost savings could play into it.

Strange to me that they also don’t offer a 7 seat option for the MXP.
I'm pretty sure that front seat passenger restraint systems may have different rules from rear seat.

But the big part is that Tesla actively MOVED AWAY from bench from seats. It's not as if they never considered it.
It may also be something as simple as the seat positioning systems. You don't get the ability to move back seats up/down, forward/backwards.
Sponsored