Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
I am glad they are going to have a good filtration system for the truck. It is one of the features I was wondering about. I still hope that the second row seats fold flat and allow access to the vault when the cover is closed.
Sponsored

Bigsur345

Banned
Banned
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda, '72 Ford Ranchero, 2017 Moar Rapt II E-Bike
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
biohazard filtration ? Highly unlikely . WTH ... Zombie apocolypse option packages won't make it through the marketing focus groups

noturaveragecitizen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Occupation
hospital
Country flag
future Cybertruck owner. the more I hear about this truck and the more information is given to us the more excited I become. this truck will do everything plus more. so versatile. Thanks Elon keep adding more stuff to make the competition shake in there boots!!??

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
My prediction is that the access is via the window opening in some way. Easiest is just a traditional sliding window (beer window).

Tesla Cybertruck Musk confirms: HVAC in bed vault, probably bed access from second row, partial bio-defense mode 1576728674259

The roll top storage is going to preclude opening all the way to the bottom, so its not going to be something you are going to want to crawl through.

Not sure what all the hype is about access from inside the vehicle as if you plan to use it like a mini play-fort. Sleeping in a stainless steel double-wide coffin just doesn't seem all that comfortable to me no matter how much A/C you add. If I have to sleep in a vehicle, just make the seats recline all the way, or just inflate one of these air-mattresses across the back. You could probably fit an air mattress in the front row as well since there is no center console.

Tesla Cybertruck Musk confirms: HVAC in bed vault, probably bed access from second row, partial bio-defense mode 1576728006265

Last edited:

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
There MUST be a way to open the vault from the inside, with no power, for the same reason car trunks today need to have an emergency release inside. To stop people becoming trapped inside. The government will not allow it otherwise.
Furthermore, I am wondering exactly what the rule makers will say about the unbreakable glass, and emergency flooding. When the vehicle is suddenly underwater, you can't open the doors until the pressure inside and out equalizes. When you end up in a lake, they tell you to break the glass, then open the door and swim to safety.

Snuups

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
The moment I saw the truck I thought it has Mars written all over it. Not simply due to the space aged look but the shape is good for sticking to the ground in high wind, it's impact resistant which would be good for the rocks that no doubt get thrown around in a Martian dust storm, great ground clearance, plenty of room for people in pressure suits, also easy on board storage and easy to use anchor points. And of course it's solar rechargeable.
On Mars the atmosphere is so shallow only super fine dust can be moved. Even in the hardest storm you would barly feel the wind in your suit.

So no impact resistance needed on Mars.

Solar on the Car is pointless on mars. you need far greater solar panel arrays to generate electricity. Solar power will be generated stationary.

Last but not least, the car is just to small to fit martians with a pressure suit in the CT.

CarsBarsMars

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus, Infiniti, BMW
Country flag
This things way too heavy to transport to space.
No it isn’t. The heavy lifting capabilities we will have by the time a CT is needed on Mars will be sufficient.
If you think about it, a roadster was a wasteful thing to send into space....Musk can send a CT to Mars if he wants to.
Also a Mars Version can be lighter weight, a CT has a lot of USA specific weight in it.

CarsBarsMars

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus, Infiniti, BMW
Country flag
Ok, so that means:
- Yes, there will be heat and a/c to the vault.
- Probably, there will be a pass through to the vault from the back seat (under or over the rolled up tonneau cover?).
- Partial implementation of bio weapon defense mode. (I wonder why only partially- it’s certainly big enough for the HEPA filter)
I assume there is an issue with the cargo bed. there’s probably an engineer saying that bio defense in the cargo bed will mean additional seals at the tonneau and tailgate. Also cargo beds have to have drains in them so they don’t fill with water, whether that means out through the tailgate or through the bed floor.
If people are envisioning the cargo area as an extension of the passenger area, they should probably wait for the CT SUV that is inevitably coming.

CarsBarsMars

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus, Infiniti, BMW
Country flag
On Mars the atmosphere is so shallow only super fine dust can be moved. Even in the hardest storm you would barly feel the wind in your suit.

So no impact resistance needed on Mars.

Solar on the Car is pointless on mars. you need far greater solar panel arrays to generate electricity. Solar power will be generated stationary.

Last but not least, the car is just to small to fit martians with a pressure suit in the CT.
I am glad to see some thought being put into this.

here are my thoughts:

-the body could easily be made from thinner steel or aluminum in a mars version, but why bother? He will have the heavy lift capability and can send a launch every month if needed. And spare steel sheets won’t go to waste on Mars.
- In theory your solar panels could be huge and fold out from a rack above the bed. Less weight means you can cantilever farther. So a CT that charges itself when stationary is very possible. For stationary charging you could even have a flexible mat that you stake to the ground and roll the truck to deploy.
-Martian pressure suits aren’t as bulky as space suits. There’s no reason for them to be larger than Star Wars genre Armor like the Troopers or Boba Fett. It depends on the design of the transport, will you depressirize the cabin and put on a helmet to exit, or will it have a nasa style airlock at the back? Picture one with no doors and it would be easy to operate it in a suit.
-Musk has said that a CT on Mars is a dream of his so we can expect at least one.

CarsBarsMars

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus, Infiniti, BMW
Country flag
Maybe it's so simple that the back window can be rolled down like the others. It's big enough to crawl into the vault and sleep there
Tye Chevy Avalanche has a complicated mid gate with a window. The whole contraption folds down into the floor with the back seats stowed to create a 96” bed.

MARSROVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Occupation
Ed.
Country flag
Does every Tesla now come with the "bio-defense mode"? These are not even questions I would have considered asking. Welcome news none-the-less.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Does every Tesla now come with the "bio-defense mode"? These are not even questions I would have considered asking. Welcome news none-the-less.
No, only the Model S and X have it. Model 3 just has a really really good filter when put into re circulation mode.

CTruckTooBig

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TriMotor
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
No it isn’t. The heavy lifting capabilities we will have by the time a CT is needed on Mars will be sufficient.
If you think about it, a roadster was a wasteful thing to send into space....Musk can send a CT to Mars if he wants to.
Also a Mars Version can be lighter weight, a CT has a lot of USA specific weight in it.
Yes it is. There is no way they will devote that much weight to one of these.

Devix

First Name
Fabrizio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag
There MUST be a way to open the vault from the inside, with no power, for the same reason car trunks today need to have an emergency release inside. To stop people becoming trapped inside. The government will not allow it otherwise.
Furthermore, I am wondering exactly what the rule makers will say about the unbreakable glass, and emergency flooding. When the vehicle is suddenly underwater, you can't open the doors until the pressure inside and out equalizes. When you end up in a lake, they tell you to break the glass, then open the door and swim to safety.
For sure!
Maybe not the bed cover, but the cargo door. It would be like a normal trunk door emergency system.
Sponsored