Nissan joins UN-backed ‘Race to Zero’ campaign, aiming for 100% EVs by… ‘the early 2030s’

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nissan joins UN-backed ‘Race to Zero’ campaign, aiming for 100% EVs by… ‘the early 2030s’

Nissan has announced that it’s the first Japanese automaker to join a United Nations-supported “Race to Zero” campaign, which is focused on accelerating electric vehicle implementation and reaching carbon neutrality. With the long-established LEAF on the market and an all-electric crossover on the way, Nissan said it aims to make all new-vehicle offerings fully electric… but not until “the early 2030s.”

Nissan is a Japanese automaker that was applauded early on for delivering an electric vehicle all the way back in 2010 with its LEAF. The LEAF remains one of the longest-running EV models in the US, and actually wore the crown of best-selling plug-in EV for years. That is, until the Tesla Model 3 showed up.

Unfortunately, Nissan has yet to deliver another electric vehicle in the 11 years since. The automaker’s EV plans could very likely have been scuttled when its former CEO Carlos Ghosn was ousted, jailed, and subsequently escaped to Lebanon.

Nissan’s new CEO, Makoto Uchida, has begun to right the ship, promising a second upcoming EV – a fully electric crossover called the Ariya. At the same time, Nissan remains focused on electric battery production and electric vehicle racing in Formula E.

With its latest announcement, Nissan joins a wide roster of companies in halving carbon emissions before reaching full carbon neutrality. It is also promising a future full of all-electric offerings… but consumers will have to wait another decade.

Nissan joins “Race to Zero,” aiming for all-electric lineup next decade
In a recent press release, Nissan has announced its commitment to the “Race to Zero” campaign, backed by the United Nations as a global environmental alliance.

According to its website, Race to Zero “mobilizes a coalition of leading net zero initiatives, representing 733 cities, 31 regions, 3,067 businesses, 173 of the biggest investors, and 622 higher education Institutions.”

As part of the campaign, Nissan signed a Business Ambition for 1.5C commitment, with the goal of keeping global temperature rise to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels.

Nissan’s below 2C carbon reduction targets have been validated by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), a second organization Nissan has joined as a requirement of the “Race to Zero” campaign. Uchida elaborated:

Through joining the SBTi and participating in these campaigns, we are renewing our determination to work with like-minded companies and local governments around the world to solve the challenges of climate change and realize a sustainable society. To accelerate global efforts to achieve carbon neutrality, Nissan will continue to address various issues in a responsible manner, including further promotion of electrification.
Nissan EV36Zero
Earlier this year, Nissan pledged to achieve carbon neutrality across all operations and products by 2050. To accelerate this effort, the automaker initiated programs like Nissan EV36Zero – a new manufacturing strategy that combines electric vehicle production with battery manufacturing and renewable energy generation.
Nissan-EV36Zero-Plans.png
Nissan’s EV36Zero plan, beginning with the Ariya Source: Nissan
Looking ahead, Nissan aims to eliminate carbon emissions through all aspects of its operations and develop an ecosystem around electric vehicles. This includes renewable energy generation, energy storage, and second-life implementation for EV batteries. Lastly, Nissan stated the following:

Central to Nissan’s carbon neutrality plans is its rollout of electrified vehicles and technologies. This began in 2010 and continues today with the expansion of Nissan’s unique e-POWER technology and new fully electric vehicles such as the Nissan Ariya crossover. Nissan is aiming for 100% of its all-new vehicle offerings to be electrified in the key markets of Japan, China, the United States and Europe by the early 2030s.
Electrek’s Take
“Early 2030s” just doesn’t hold the same zeal as a number like 2025 or 2026, like some other automakers are promising. Nissan couldn’t even give a harder deadline like 2030, for instance.

It also danced around the its timeline commitment by using phrasing like “aims to deliver,” already setting up an out should it not meet its goal. It’s still a goal worth recognizing, and it’s obviously going to take any automaker of Nissan’s size quite a bit of overhaul to begin delivering a fully electric fleet.

With that said, what has Nissan been doing the past 11 years since its last EV debuted? Imagine if it had begun this electrified revolution then? Any commitment to eliminating carbon emissions and promoting EVs is welcomed, but forgive me if I’m reluctant to bust out the confetti for this company.

What’s considerably more sad is that with these new commitments, Nissan looks like Tesla compared to its Japanese competitors Honda and Toyota.

SOURCCE: ELECTREK
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I find these "We'll be 100% EV by 2030" announcements almost comical. They might as well say "We'll exist in in 2030".

At the current rate of progress, very few new vehicles will be non-EV by 2030. Companies which do not adapt will no longer exist.

I'm sure there will be some trucks & commercial vehicles that will be holdouts due to capabilities, but it's likely in the coming years those will be fewer and fewer.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
“Race to Zero”
Most legacy automakers are in a "race to bankruptcy".
One of two of them may actually make the move to all electric without going tits up.
The rest will either go bankrupt or be bailed out by various governments and die a slower death on taxpayer funded life support to save union jobs.
I seriously doubt if Elon Musk wants to have a monopoly on EV's but he could end up with one by default.
If that happens look for a repeat of what happened to Microsoft when the government thought they were getting too big.
Telsa is so far ahead that catching up is a non-starter for most legacy brands despite their hype about what is coming down the pike.
I think competition spurs innovation but what do the up and comers have to offer?

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
IMHO these claims from manufacturers are a joke. The consumers are going to drive the move to EV. The wealthy have the cash but they still only drive one at a time. When someone who works for minimum wage can afford an EV we will see a move to ALL electric vehicles. Until the poor masses can afford to buy an EV we will continue to see I.C.E. languish along because they are repairable in the driveway, the fuel is stable and what is available to someone who rents an apartment with restrictions to parking and property use, and if you can limp along a $200 car for a year or two you aren't out much when you junk the thing for scrap iron prices. Government can outlaw gas and diesel but until B.E.V. becomes affordable to the poorest, all it will do is hurt honest and hard working people. I (consumer) am determined to move to B.E.V. with everything I have. I am also focused on Solar for my home and using the national grid as a back up and for revenue. This said, I am not poor. I am older and I have finally become financially stable after half a lifetime of struggle. I know it is expensive to be poor! The credit companies do not want to extend credit, and those that do charge gross amounts. I appreciate the stated goal of Mr. Musk, but the whirlwind of media, pundits, and supporters makes it difficult for me to believe him. All this effort to bring about a sustainable economy while simultaneously focusing on colonizing Mars before he passes on makes for great press and hope. But it leaves the poor scrapping for an increasingly difficult survival. One last thing, the other billionaires do not share his vision.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My poorest friends who don't need more than a single fast-charge worth of travel in a day got Nissan Leafs this summer.

It's happening already. All that needs to catch up is supply.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
When someone who works for minimum wage can afford an EV we will see a move to ALL electric vehicles.
The people I know making minimum wage can’t afford an ICE car.

i can’t see BEVs changing that. Used cars are the only way that’s happening.

As Crissa suggests. Used Leaf’s are a good source for folks who can’t afford much.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I took my Nissan van in for an oil change and some other services yesterday.
The service manager told me they had two Teslas on the lot.
One was a Plaid that the dealership owner bought for himself (there are often exotic cars on the showroom floor) and there is a 2018 out on the used sales lot.
I was in a hurry to leave but Monday I'm going down there and see what they are asking for it (I have no idea what model it is).
My biggest concern is why it is there. Did someone trade it in on a Nissan EV or did they trade it in on an ICE vehicle. Has it been wrecked or were there some other problems with it?
Stay tuned for details.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
The people I know making minimum wage can’t afford an ICE car.

i can’t see BEVs changing that. Used cars are the only way that’s happening.

As Crissa suggests. Used Leaf’s are a good source for folks who can’t afford much.
This goes to my point. Sure, those mindful of the benefits will stretch to the leaf while the supplies last. But for the complete transition, BEV has to be affordable and have some residual longevity for the resale market to be effective. I trust that Tesla will fill the niche eventually in one form or another. But, the consumer is who will manifest the transition, not the corporations. As a tangential fantasy, I would LOVE to see resale of "totaled" tesla drive units and battery packs available for the Modder's market. I have a Galaxie that I could see running a BEV drive if I could afford it!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This goes to my point. Sure, those mindful of the benefits will stretch to the leaf while the supplies last. But for the complete transition, BEV has to be affordable and have some residual longevity for the resale market to be effective. I trust that Tesla will fill the niche eventually in one form or another. But, the consumer is who will manifest the transition, not the corporations. As a tangential fantasy, I would LOVE to see resale of "totaled" tesla drive units and battery packs available for the Modder's market. I have a Galaxie that I could see running a BEV drive if I could afford it!
Cars are inherently expensive. They are dangerous and need to be insured. Tires are expensive. Parking is expensive in a lot of places. Even once they get a car, an accident is a financial disaster. They are also more vulnerable to theft and vandalism and can't afford insurance to mitigate that risk.

There are a lot of more affordable options for short distance travel which don't require insurance and won't wreck a person if they lose it. Jobs close to where poor people live or housing close to where jobs are is a much better solution here.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Cars are inherently expensive. They are dangerous and need to be insured. Tires are expensive. Parking is expensive in a lot of places. Even once they get a car, an accident is a financial disaster. They are also more vulnerable to theft and vandalism and can't afford insurance to mitigate that risk.

There are a lot of more affordable options for short distance travel which don't require insurance and won't wreck a person if they lose it. Jobs close to where poor people live or housing close to where jobs are is a much better solution here.
I know we are both Oregon residents, but there are many areas in Oregon, mine specifically, where workers live in surrounding areas and commute far beyond 20 miles in one direction. Yet, the infrastructure in my area is minuscule and sparely available, especially if commuting from smaller towns that are essentially bedroom communities. The only ability to commute, especially for shift work, is to own and operate a private vehicle. Given Tesla's proven investment, speed, and dedication, they are still only one company against almost 8 billion potential customers. Until other manufacturers step up to lower the consumer's costs, increase their access and options, and offer an avenue for the poorest among the working "class" to have electric transportation, it will take Tesla at least a century. There is no cooperation in charging networks, there is active and antagonistic competition, the U.S. government seems to have a grudge against Tesla, and worst of all science seems to be seen as a competing religion to strongly held doctrines among too many U.S. citizens. I understand what you are trying communicate as I was raised in the Willamette Valley and on the coast before I worked/traveled through Washington, Texas, Wyoming, Montana, Germany, and finally landing my family in Eastern Oregon. I know very well that there is a distinct difference between Urban and Rural life. All of the pundits have grand machinations about wide open public transportation in cities. I think those ideas are strong and necessary. I just do not see full implementation in my lifetime unless rural and low wage earners are accommodated by government and business. Business won't because the profit will just not be there to any but Musk, and I doubt Musk is even willing.
Our climate is changing now. It is not waiting for Musk to do this alone and everything I stated above works to support the worsening of our climate. My point stands, the poor (a far majority to the wealthy) have to have option other than cattle cars in order to make this work.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The only ability to commute, especially for shift work, is to own and operate a private vehicle.
Yep. Some of my close neighbors are rural and broke.

This is the fundamental catch-22 for rural poor. Work a job to pay for a car so they can get to the job... after rent, food, there isn't any money left for anything else. They can't move into the city because rent is too high.

Fundamentally, we've engineered our whole society around these kind of processes that put poor people into a deep hole which is incredibly difficult to get out of.

My point stands, the poor (a far majority to the wealthy) have to have option other than cattle cars in order to make this work.
I don't disagree with you. I'm just pointing out that automobiles are inherently very expensive. They don't raise people out of poverty, they keep people in it. EVs will help a little because they keep maintenance down. That doesn't help too much with insurance costs, and initial acquisition costs though.
Sponsored