Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Im a bit behind on the wait list given only signed up this week, but it is by design as my intended upgrade timeline from existing 07 Ridgeline (grandparent design to cyber truck) is 3-4 years from now when i hopefully hit 300k miles on the Ridgeline.

It sucks to park the Ridgeline in Manhattan. It's only going to get worse with the cyber truck! No fsd for me, but hopefully parking assist is included to help street parking. I can't imagine what the oversized fees are going to be in parking garages in Manhattan!

I'm on Staten so I'll have enough street parking space daily at home, but i plan on using super chargers in the neighborhood to get my regular charge up, instead of sending extension cord down the sidewalk. Also do lots of driving to Florida and back, with vintage Vespas loaded in the back of the Ridgeline. CT bed will finally be big enough to fit a Vespa with the tailgate up!

Anyone else in NYC planning on taking up obscene amounts of precious city space for this truck?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Feeding your CT only at the SuperCharger Buffet may have detrimental effects on your waistline (battery). Are no other options available? I thought the purpose of the Supercharger Network was geared towards the traveling motorist and not for drinking up at the local waterholes. Can Tesla lock you out for too many repeat visits to the buffet line? This very item sounds strangely familiar.

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Feeding your CT only at the SuperCharger Buffet may have detrimental effects on your waistline (battery). Are no other options available? I thought the purpose of the Supercharger Network was geared towards the traveling motorist and not for drinking up at the local waterholes. Can Tesla lock you out for too many repeat visits to the buffet line? This very item sounds strangely familiar.
When i said local super chargers i mean destination chargers that are not super chargers but 10kW. There are 4 chargers at two separate businesses within a few miles of my apartment.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
When i said local super chargers i mean destination chargers that are not super chargers but 10kW. There are 4 chargers at two separate businesses within a few miles of my apartment.
And these two businesses will be pretty much your sole source of power for the CyberTruck?

Will you be actively engaged inside their business as a customer the whole time it's on charge?

Are they cool with you "bogarting" the courtesy charging facilities extended to customers?

I just see the old Seinfeld episode playing out where George is going to take a date to the movie and in an effort to skate out of shelling out cash for candy at the theater he scoops up the bowl of mints at the dinner and heads out the door. Thin Ice.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Bro, you cranky. No soup for you! :)
Not cranky, just don't care to live on the fringe and dependent for resources that can change in a flash and then what. It's called life, always like to have a solid plan going into a project but with redundant back ups. :cool:

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Living in nyc inherently involves a lot of figuring shit out and making less than ideal situations work. The point of this thread was not to debate charging solutions for apartment dwellers of city living with Floridians who have the luxury of not having to deal with this one specific issue of ownership. I am looking for other nyc residents who have plans to purchase the truck as well.

Now when i go down regularly to my relatives down in Florida, this is no longer an issue and i can commiserate with you on that over in the Florida owners thread!

2blentendre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR (Black/Black)
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Same thoughts here. Worse, I find myself having to street park often. Won't stop me though from buying it if I am lucky enough to get a delivery soon. Hoping that the higher motors will have sooner delivery regardless of position on the waitlist.

2blentendre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR (Black/Black)
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Sorry to necro-bump, just noticed that this thread was from a long time ago.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
This is still relevant. I live in San Francisco, and I have the same problem. No garage (they have all been converted to living space in my neighborhood, and street parking is my only option.

dempster

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model 3, 2021 Model Y, Cybertruck preoder
Country flag
This seems a little silly. To rely entirely on someone else's destination charger. most destination chargers I have seen have 1, 2 or MAYBE 4 chargers hooked up.

Supercharger locations have many.
Tesla Cybertruck NYC future owners 1699448312637

What are the chances it will always be available to you when you need it? Which by the way, will be constantly. We have this thing we refer to as "Vampire drain". The cars are always draining power, always.

With the current cars, a "full charge" (let's say 20-80%) is about 4 hours. Cybertruck battery will be larger, and take longer to charge. 48amps may be equal to 44miles per hour in a model 3, in a cybertruck - far less.

Sure, Cybertruck with the larger battery should in theory should see faster supercharging rates (better charge curve)
But for destination charging 48 amps, is 48 amps. ( assuming they've set them up for the maximum charge rate already)

Do you really have enough time in your day to be chasing chargers? If that's the case, I'm jealous

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There are more Destination charger locations than Superchargers.

So it doesn't matter that there's 1/4 the chargers per site when there's 10x as many sites.

And if there's one where you work, or some on your street to share, that's all there needs to be. You share parking spaces, why not chargers?

-Crissa
Sponsored