Off Road Performance

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
My hope is that the CyberTruck will be a great platform for anything from the Baja 500, to running the King of the Hammers. Would I think it would win either, stone stock - no. But, I sincerely hope it will run them. That's my wish. I hope that computer damped suspension will allow for infinite precision, and a built in variability that can be programmed on the fly through menus on the tablet. Then, my hope is the suspension and drive components are hardcore - able to take a beating, and come out good. I want to piss a Raptor owner off, rocking their world in my stock CT.

Build it strong for off road, and it will crawl a mall with the best of them. peace
Sponsored

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
My hope is that the CyberTruck will be a great platform for anything from the Baja 500, to running the King of the Hammers. Would I think it would win either, stone stock - no. But, I sincerely hope it will run them. That's my wish. I hope that computer damped suspension will allow for infinite precision, and a built in variability that can be programmed on the fly through menus on the tablet. Then, my hope is the suspension and drive components are hardcore - able to take a beating, and come out good. I want to piss a Raptor owner off, rocking their world in my stock CT.

Build it strong for off road, and it will crawl a mall with the best of them. peace
Don't forget the race ready Bronco's 4400 and 4600

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
For many, this would qualify as off road. I've only been in slightly worse. Maybe more of an incline, and add more water.

I need to look up the picture... My Dodge 3500 4x4, lifted with mud tires, managed to get stuck on a soaked colache road. Once the tires got caked with mud there was no steering. We had two ATVs on the front to jerk the truck in the direction we needed it to go.

18049623-dirt-road-woods-in-the-rain-.jpg
That looks more like my driveway except lack of fir trees, not muddy and has gravel

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Don't forget the race ready Bronco's 4400 and 4600
Bronco's Race Ready is a ploy to make people think they are getting an Ultra 4, but not. All the legacy auto manufacturers do is promise and underdeliver, for years. This is why I said my hope is that Elon overdelivers. It could happen - not 100% likely, but that's why I said I hope, and that's my wish. The Dodge version of the Raptor is what it is. All better than their "ok" normal truck lines. You know what? Elon is bringing 1 truck. Not a line, various builds, multiple choices, so he can overcharge you 25 times. Legacy manufacturers have screwed people enough over too many years. Elon's here and he's bringing the goods. peace

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
This is my idea of going off road:
C048562A-834B-4FD7-97B6-1CD36F60A41F.jpeg

And I believe that the cybertruck will be superlative at it.
That boulder incline will not happen in a production CT. Breakover will hang it up. Wheel travel is not going to be what you think just beacause 16” ground clearance it does not follow that the suspension will have 36” wheel travel like a rock crawler.

@parapyropig Pls report back with pictures of your CT on this rock climb of yours. Include the rear suspension/motors ripped out from under your CT on one of these boulders. Bonus points if your battery skid sets the CT afire from being torn through.

Good Luck

Jeepster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep, 2002 Porsche 911
Country flag
I can’t wait to go play in the sand with it. Hope it will work as a recovery rig if I get into trouble with the Jeep.

D68C9A0F-8D77-4D60-8BE4-F06EB6194AFF.jpeg
I suspect you will need the Jeep to pull out the CT. At least in beach sand, AWD never works well, I see several AWD vehicles stuck every time I go out. Yes, I know 4wd vehicles can get stuck too, but I see it much less frequently. Very curious/concerned out the 2 motor version will perform in soft sand/beach (I'm sure it will be great on harder off-road surfaces!).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I suspect you will need the Jeep to pull out the CT. At least in beach sand, AWD never works well...
That has nothing to do with 'AWD' and everything to do with a traction system that doesn't expect the road to be able to be dug out from it and an overconfident driver. Mostly the latter.

-Crissa

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
I suspect you will need the Jeep to pull out the CT. At least in beach sand, AWD never works well, I see several AWD vehicles stuck every time I go out.
I think that depends on the vehicle. My friends 2016 Honda Pilot was a beast on the sand dunes. Put it in Sand Mode of the AWD system and it not only didn't get stuck. But also pulled a stuck GMC Yukon XL 2500 that was stuck.
Soo... that was an eye opener for me...

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
I suspect you will need the Jeep to pull out the CT. At least in beach sand, AWD never works well, I see several AWD vehicles stuck every time I go out. Yes, I know 4wd vehicles can get stuck too, but I see it much less frequently. Very curious/concerned out the 2 motor version will perform in soft sand/beach (I'm sure it will be great on harder off-road surfaces!).
My ‘03 Rubicon was best 4x4. But not a Daily Driver.

AWD can be quite capable and tire inflation is onboard so expect a few CT will laern what an air compressor is good for the hard way.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I'll be trading my Gladiator Rubicon for a CT, and am confident it will simply blow that away. Before that I had two other JKURs (13 and 15). The size of the trucks is a penalty in many tight AZ rock crawling scenarios, but the wheelbase can be a real advantage in many others. I have no doubt that the CT's traction controls will blow away the Rubicon's lockers.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
I'll be trading my Gladiator Rubicon for a CT, and am confident it will simply blow that away. Before that I had two other JKURs (13 and 15). The size of the trucks is a penalty in many tight AZ rock crawling scenarios, but the wheelbase can be a real advantage in many others. I have no doubt that the CT's traction controls will blow away the Rubicon's lockers.
2003 Rubicon spoiled me. I went places only modifieds roam. Jeep quickly McMansioned Rubicon and the rest is history.

AZ is one among many with the most stunning offroad experiences to be had for the willing. Cybertruck will be a worthy offroad machine. But AZ has so many 66” wifth trails that get you way back in to hunting and camps - I’d want the toy in the back when CT can go no further.

ONLY stray shooting bullets was the most often Big risk going offroad in AZ.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Here is a new short clip of CT off road:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
There's a tiny clip of off-roading at around 14 minutes, among a bunch of useless blathering for 15 minutes. I'd bet $100 that it's CG, and not real. Or at least modified. Totally useless.

2000prerunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
BSer
Country flag
Also depends on your idea or style off "off-roading".

For the most basic "common" definition, it is things that most SUVs/jeeps do. trails, some hill climbs , muddy holes here and there, a few rocks to "get over", shallow water crossings ... essentially the slow things that most SUVs/jeeps are suited for or you need to do in order to get to places for adventure/camping. For an EV like the Rivian or cyber, that should be just fine. Slow speeds and many stops is actually perfect for EV range.

However, there is another type of off roading that EVs are absolutely garbage at (for now). "High speed" or baja type off roading. Their massive weight, and limited range when operating at high speeds, is not good at all. I think at the recent San Felipe 250 race where Lordstowns motors ran their EV pick up , it only saw them make it 40 miles on the racecourse. When you are out in the dunes or going through the woops there is major drag on the car and in order to keep the speed and fun up you have to mash that pedal. I know there are custom EV race vehicles that have raced in rally events and desert racing but the results are not encouraging for range. Also they are purpose built race cars with proper suspension. The direction both the rivian and cyber went with suspension is for normal use / low speed off roading. Air ride is the worst possible spring set up you can have for high speed stuff. Within 10 mins of desert trails in the cyber truck , that poor air chamber +dampener will be 300+F. super hot! I think both trucks will only have 8-9" of total wheel travel (not "lift" or "adjustability" , which means nothing when your suspension is cycling through harsh terrain). this is insufficient. Basically these EV trucks went the opposite direction of what a Ford Raptor was built to do.
Fair enough. most people don't off road like that or even know that's possible outside places like the South West.

edit*. motor sports or pushing a car to the extreme is not pointless. Under these conditions you can see what a car is capable of and improve upon it. Imagine how many practical car things that are in use for street cars now days were born out of motor sports (disk breaks...). For now, it is still kind of discouraging that at the top of almost all motor sports , ICE is still the best. think about it. F1 car vs Formula E? look at their top speeds and race distances. Rally/desert racing? Even what EVs are supposedly "good" at, drag racing, gets absolutely crushed by something like an NRHA drag car. There is way way way more energy per time by pumping nitromethane in and engine vs the best EV batteries being discharged in a drag ! It highlights the fundamental draw back...batteries. their range and energy density :(

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
The CT is not good for racing. The Tesla cars really aren't either, which is why many clubs run EV days to allow for their limitations. Not relevant to buyers here. I do a bit of desert running with my Jeep in the Anza-Borrego area, and lots of rock crawling around my own area NW of Phoenix. Neither at a racing level. And the CT will do both very well except that the width may be a big problem on some of my favorite tight trails. The traction ability and angles blow away my mildly lifted Jeep.
Sponsored