Overlanding Range

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Yes, but you can stop by "civilization" when switching spots. I know, it sucks, but solar is not going to cut it. Or.... borrow a gas generator, I won't be ashamed.
I do stop in civilization for food and other necessities. But, not for gas once I have my CT. Don't be shocked when an hour on the generator eats 1 gallon of gas, and gives you 30 miles. So, you might as well be driving an ecoboost F150. If I'm getting fueled up out in the wild, be sure it's the free sun or wind doing it. Beyond that, have a great time! peace
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No need to be insulting.
I'm sorry, it's not insulting to be told I don't go off the pavement but it's insulting to you to be told you're talking out of your hat?

Each Spark module is about 2,500...
I don't think you're reading those numbers correctly. 20kW output is three Powerwalls worth. And the weight per kWh leaves the Spark lighter, too. On top of actually being man-moveable.

The new Powerwall isn't as bulky as the old one, that's for sure, though. And the Spark batteries are bulkier than the prototypes by quite a bit.

So, you might as well be driving an ecoboost F150.
Not really! Can't run the ecoboost on solar or wind, after all. Gonna be hard to wring that much power out of a portable genny, tho. Thirty miles an hour charging is charging over 10kW.

The pure EV is going to be better at crawling along the desert much better. It won't be wasting fuel idling the engine.

-Crissa

Last edited:

ThomasG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Subaru Forester
Country flag
I'm sorry, it's insulting to be told I don't go off the pavement but it's insulting to you to be told you're talking out of your hat?

I don't think you're reading those numbers correctly. 20kW output is three Powerwalls worth. And the weight per kWh leaves the Spark lighter, too. On top of actually being man-moveable.

The new Powerwall isn't as bulky as the old one, that's for sure, though. And the Spark batteries are bulkier than the prototypes by quite a bit.

Not really! Can't run the ecoboost on solar or wind, after all. Gonna be hard to wring that much power out of a portable genny, tho. Thirty miles an hour charging is charging over 10kW.

The pure EV is going to be better at crawling along the desert much better. It won't be wasting fuel idling the engine.

-Crissa
Did you read the Tesla specs on the Powerwall? My Powerwalls are rated at 13.5 kWh usable energy and 14 kWh total capacity according to Tesla's specification PDF located here:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default.../Powerwall 2_AC_Datasheet_en_northamerica.pdf

Three would provide 40.5 kWh. The Spark, according to the maker's specifications PDF, is 3.5 kWh with 3.2 kWh. Four would therefore produce 12.8 usable kWh. It has to have the charger module.

I used facts based on the specifications of the Spark booster you touted and the Powerwall someone else asked about. The Spark appears to be a very smart product for its intended purpose, rescuing stranded EV's with dead batteries, but not so practical for extending ranges for expedition travel since they add weight and take up a lot of space.

So, how am I talking out of my hat? I do not recall saying you do not go off road, but I do recall your being offended by the concept of being contradicted by my having a different opinion on the practicality of carrying extra batteries to extend range.

I conceded that a portable generator used to charge an EV can use less fuel than an off road ICE, but I listed reasons for why I think packing in a generator is not a great idea. Who wants the noise of a generator in the wilderness? Noise is an impact. Further, a lawn mower ICE, similar to what is found in a generator, pollutes more than a modern automotive ICE. Some argue that an hour running a 4 HP engine causes as much pollution as average modern ICE vehicle does to go 250 miles. You can Google that and find lot's of commentary on it. In short, that Ford hybrid pickup will pollute less than a Cybertruck fueled by a portable ICE generator. I thought the idea here was to be friendly to the environment.

The bottom-line is we have a difference of opinion of what is practical for long distance extended travel off road away from chargers. You can make your call and I can make mine as to which serves our needs the best. I merely tried to point out problems and that seems unacceptable to you. Others may find the discussion useful, but it is clear there isn't much point in beating on this anymore.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Did you read the Tesla specs on the Powerwall? My Powerwalls are rated at 13.5 kWh usable energy and 14 kWh total capacity according to Tesla's specification PDF located here:
You're mixing up kWh with kW output, that's all.

Also, divide the weight of the Spark battery by its kWh then do the same for the Powerwall. One is 18lbs per kWh, the other is 19 per kWh.

And I already said, you were right, the Powerwall 2 is more compact than the original Powerwall while Spark's production unit is more than a quarter heavier and bulkier than their prototype, so my original assertion of volume was incorrect. (It does indicate that if Tesla made units like the Spark, it would be even more an advantage, tho!)

-Crissa

TrukinCyberB

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Hi everyone,

This is my first post but excited to hear peoples views.

Here is another option although currently prohibitively expensive but likely on par with the other options of multiple power walls or Spark batteries. Fast Fold by Renovagen weighs about 125kg (including inverter and 10KWh battery) in total but also costs £17,000 – £34,000 (eeeek expensive) The Fast Fold design has 3.4 kWp of solar power and 10 kWh battery capacity (I think that's the larger more expensive 34K version). The system can also be supplemented with a gas Generator for 24/7 operation if required.

Now a CT shouldn't need the Battery part of this system should it? Only the Solar panels pumping 3.4kWph into the CT battery and "maybe some type of volt/amp regulation?"... Renovagen has solar trailers as well but I am guessing you'd be looking at well over £100K for one if not more, but the design of a roll-out solar unit from the back of your CT is appealing maybe the Solar panels could be a Roll out like the trailer version but from your CT (like an awning over the CT to give shade as well instead of on the ground??) and directly charge the battery when parked.

This link is the only place I could find any type of price for the units.

https://rethinkresearch.biz/articles/fold-up-portable-solar-put-to-use-to-fight-africas-covid-19/

This link is their website.

https://www.renovagen.com/products/fast-fold/

The technology is definitely there however the price point is prohibitive. I really hope the prices come down over the next few years as this concept would be perfect for Overlanding if stripped down to the bare essentials for direct EV charging while parked.

I live in Australia and the charging infrastructure is coming slowly between major capital city routes. Having Overlanding capability here through remote areas will certainly be challenging when my cyber truck finally arrives. We have a lot of sun down here and I look at solar as the best possible backup plan for on the go/day stop charging if you're considering overlanding in the outback.

Interested to know everyone's thoughts on the basic premise and feasibility of just a solar array to charge your CT while camped for the day. Similar to Elon's quote of adding solar to give an extra 10-20miles a day but on a bigger roll out or fold out scale, you can see currently costwise why he backed off from the idea a little with Joe Rogan.

I know you can buy camping solar kits but nothing out there has a meaningful output that would charge a CT for long-distance Overlanding being discussed here.

Edit...
Another interesting idea could be to slot a Model 3 or older model S/X battery into the CyberTrucks bed (assuming it fits) I've read the direct replacement cost of the 73kw Model 3 battery is about 16K USD (that was someone who had hit a rock and damaged the battery so the owner needed to pay as not under warranty, Tesla replaced it and the few other fairings etc including labour for around the 16k) This might be a cheaper option than powerwalls. I wonder how much extra range that might provide for the extra weight?

:)

Last edited:

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
This is a lot of arguing/debating with something waaaaaaaaay to in depth about something thats not even released yet. Its a lot of he said she said they said as of right now. A lot of numbers right now dont mean a thing and you can do all the research till your blue in the face.

Short version is:
- CT gets 500+ miles for tri-motor. Most individuals want to explore 5-100 miles of trails and crawls. - Also, trailsoffroad.com, most of these trails people want are well within the range of a charging station (hoping ICE drivers didnt trash them).
- If youre out for longer then throw some solar panels (regardless of sizes) on the hood or on your batwing awning while camping.
- AND IF youre out there in the boonies away from civilization then you really should consider if a CT is right for you or just get a Jeep/Tacoma/ETC.

I'm already trying to design a batwing awning with flexible solar panels for the roof. Not being successful yet with panels available but at least I'm tryin to evolve, invent, and progress instead of saying things are not possible. If the world thought more positively we would get more done.
Sponsored