Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I read on one of the blog posts that someone with an ‘equivalent’ sized truck has had some issues with the size of parking spaces, and was wondering if the CT would be worse. I was thinking about Elon Musk saying that the outer dimensions could be made smaller without changing cargo capacity, etc., and I wondered if this parking space frenzy was related. There is no question that all of those ‘compact’ spots are out of the question, but do we know whether there is any hope of fitting into a normal full-sized parking space?
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Parking will feel like parking a compact in a compact space. With FSD, based on my understanding, you can exit vehicle and have the car park for you and retrieve from the space.
Personal concerns, parking in an underground office building, no room to maneuver a compact car and parking at my job site. Full size spaces fill up quickly leaving compact only spaces. Anticipating those spaces will be too tight.
The surrounding sensors will make parking easier. More walking to the store when you will need to park farther from the entrance to find a space. (I do this at of habit)

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Parking will feel like parking a compact in a compact space. With FSD, based on my understanding, you can exit vehicle and have the car park for you and retrieve from the space.
Personal concerns, parking in an underground office building, no room to maneuver a compact car and parking at my job site. Full size spaces fill up quickly leaving compact only spaces. Anticipating those spaces will be too tight.
The surrounding sensors will make parking easier. More walking to the store when you will need to park farther from the entrance to find a space. (I do this at of habit)
Yah, just use the smahtphone. Pahked it.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
If you have not driven a full sized pick up before then the first few times you try to park it will be a challenge. You will give up parking close to the door and will love when you find 3 open spots. It may be helpful to test drive a full sized truck and see how it works for parking and driving.

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
The CT has auto-summon. It will probably have auto-park by then. Elon Musk should call it Edge-Park.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Self parking is available today but as is the case with many of the autopilot features it does not work all the time. As with all the other autopilot features you must be in the car with your hands on the wheel while it is parking. To use it you cruise slowly past an empty spot (parallel or perpendicular) and based on speed and what the cameras see it may decide a parking spot is there. You then push the park button and it parks itself. Often it doesn't detect obviously suitable spots and it sometimes identifies spots that aren't there.

The surrounding sensors will make parking easier.
They do and the backup camera is very useful too.

More walking to the store when you will need to park farther from the entrance to find a space. (I do this at of habit)
Any new car of mine gets parked in the far corner of the parking lot.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I always park my trucks (not full-sized pickups but not compacts either) away from congestion as it is now, but I will measure width and length of my current car against parking space sizes just in case. I believe that my wife’s M3 has a parking feature but we have never used either the parking feature nor the summon feature. I expect all of the Tesla self driving capabilities to be much better in two years as I have seen great improvements just in the past six months. My concern was/is rooted in cases, like mall or restaurant parking areas, where you get what you can find rather than being able to choose. Maybe you guys are right that I should take advantage of the technology more.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The Cybertruck at 79” will be 4” wider (2” on each side) than my RX at 75”. In most cases that won’t be a problem. The length of 232”, on the other hand, compared to 195”, might cause a problem. You full-sized truck folks, do you have any length issues with your trucks in parking spaces and lots now?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
nor the summon feature.
The smart summon does not, in my experience, work very well either and I don't see how it could possibly be expected to in an open parking lot as its only position reference would be GPS and GPS isn't that good (couple meters 2DRMS).

I expect all of the Tesla self driving capabilities to be much better in two years as I have seen great improvements just in the past six months.
Could you expand on that a bit?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It is mostly minor things like the lane speed matching and the new visualizations that, when they are released into the self driving, will mean both more expansive capabilities and better capabilities, but it is also all of the folks that have posted videos and saying how the car used to fail and now it doesn’t. Early on we had the car miss exits and it doesn’t anymore. We had the car weaving around in the lane more than it does now. We took a trip a week ago (150 miles each way) and only turned auto pilot off on very hilly and curvy portions of the highway. Six months ago I don’t think that would have been possible for me. Sorry that this is ad hoc evidence but that is what I have.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
This is our current Beast. Which will be replaced by the CT (beast ll). I always find a way to park the Beast. (It does help that my daughter is in a wheelchair and we have a handicap placard).

Tesla Cybertruck Parking space neurosis van17miledrive

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The smart summon does not, in my experience, work very well either and I don't see how it could possibly be expected to in an open parking lot as its only position reference would be GPS and GPS isn't that good (couple metes 2DRMS).

Could you expand on that a bit?
Currently smart summon works via smartphone app. The car location is shown on the app and you drag it to where you want it to come. When you take your finger off the screen the cars stops. The accurate location of the car isnt really important as the gps differential is the same differential the app map is having. Just hop out and smart summon the car into the parking spot.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Currently smart summon works via smartphone app.
Coincidence that this posted when it did as I just came in from lunch with 4 of my old colleagues. The current state of the art of "cyber" was discussed at length down to the level of the eigenvalues. I kept pointing out that AI promised great things 30 years ago when I got stuck with an AI section in the company I worked for. They never delivered. I am amazed that the hype today sounds very similar today and was even more surprised when I found out that Wieners original hype was similar. In any case the quoted statement above has to be edited to read "sort of works sometimes" to be anything like true. When we walked out of the restaurant one of the guys said "Doesn't you car come to you automatically?" I said "Let's see" and put it into the "Come to me mode" upon which it started turning, backing up, going forward, turning again, backing up again and wound up at an angle across two parking spaces. QED from my point of view.

The car location is shown on the app and you drag it to where you want it to come. When you take your finger off the screen the cars stops.
When I got home thought I'd try this mode. Again, the result was hardly what one would hope for. The car didn't hit anything nor did it leave the driveway but it certainly didn't get to the target.

The accurate location of the car isnt really important as the gps differential is the same differential the app map is having.
That technique works (and I used to use it for surveying years ago) but for it to work both receivers (car and cellphone) must be using exactly the same set of satellites. In nearly the same location you might expect two GPS receivers to do just that but supposed the car uses the Glonass constellation (I suspect it does) and the smartphone doesn't?

Just hop out and smart summon the car into the parking spot.
Would you really do that with your Tesla? I wouldn't try it with mine on a bet!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Coincidence that this posted when it did as I just came in from lunch with 4 of my old colleagues. The current state of the art of "cyber" was discussed at length down to the level of the eigenvalues. I kept pointing out that AI promised great things 30 years ago when I got stuck with an AI section in the company I worked for. They never delivered. I am amazed that the hype today sounds very similar today and was even more surprised when I found out that Wieners original hype was similar. In any case the quoted statement above has to be edited to read "sort of works sometimes" to be anything like true. When we walked out of the restaurant one of the guys said "Doesn't you car come to you automatically?" I said "Let's see" and put it into the "Come to me mode" upon which it started turning, backing up, going forward, turning again, backing up again and wound up at an angle across two parking spaces. QED from my point of view.

When I got home thought I'd try this mode. Again, the result was hardly what one would hope for. The car didn't hit anything nor did it leave the driveway but it certainly didn't get to the target.

That technique works (and I used to use it for surveying years ago) but for it to work both receivers (car and cellphone) must be using exactly the same set of satellites. In nearly the same location you might expect two GPS receivers to do just that but supposed the car uses the Glonass constellation (I suspect it does) and the smartphone doesn't?

Would you really do that with your Tesla? I wouldn't try it with mine on a bet!
Yes I would... first practice in an empty lot see if I can park it inside the lines. I did smart summon on model 3 I test drove and it did pretty well. The sales person didnt even seem nervous and I never did it before.
Sponsored