Polestar crash

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
A Polestar on “driving assistance” swirled and crashed in a road lamp in my town today. Refreshing that “FSD crash” news are not all Tesla with big letters anymore. Of course they only called it EV instead.
1616868551365.jpeg
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I am not sure about Polestar but it makes me wonder how a Tesla FSD that works based on vision/light alone deals with shadows. In a time of the day like this and sky like this as clouds move in and out, horizontal shadows keep appearing and disappearing. There must be a contrast threshold that FSD uses to decide if the shadow is an object or not. I never gave this stuff any thoughts before but it is fascinating. If any of you have worked on the stuff feel free to dumb it down for me and break it down to it’s pieces (how computer vision works in this context).

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
...how a Tesla FSD that works based on vision/light alone deals with shadows.
I would just like to point out that every automobile control system on the road now (with extremely few exceptions) works on vision/light alone.

<To be clear, I’m talking about humans>.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would just like to point out that every automobile control system on the road now (with extremely few exceptions) works on vision/light alone.

<To be clear, I’m talking about humans>.
Gives you new respect to the pattern recognition monster we carry around in our skull.

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I am not sure about Polestar but it makes me wonder how a Tesla FSD that works based on vision/light alone deals with shadows. In a time of the day like this and sky like this as clouds move in and out, horizontal shadows keep appearing and disappearing. There must be a contrast threshold that FSD uses to decide if the shadow is an object or not. I never gave this stuff any thoughts before but it is fascinating. If any of you have worked on the stuff feel free to dumb it down for me and break it down to it’s pieces (how computer vision works in this context).
I hope the FSD software has this already accounted for especially during the mornings and evenings when the shadows are the longest. With enough evidence (as in millions of repetitive data), I don't see this as a big problem that they cannot overcome.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Simple..... FSD is smarter than people.....it doesn't have emotions....its not in a rush..... it decides based on empirical facts.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hope the FSD software has this already accounted for especially during the mornings and evenings when the shadows are the longest. With enough evidence (as in millions of repetitive data), I don't see this as a big problem that they cannot overcome.
I did some Googling on shadow detection and many interesting projects have already been done for other applications. Really cool stuff. I think, if there are unresolved cases, they will go on the side of caution so your CT will slam on the break when there is nothing there as opposed to running over someone’s kid assuming it was a shadow. I didn’t order the FSD but I am still fascinate.

OP
OP

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Humans biggest driving problem is low sun ahead (or so I was told I’m driving school), and that’s a problem in all northern regions during the winter.

I’ve tried autopilot while staying vigilant while driving through many short tunnels and under bypasses with the low sun in my eyes (on the way to the cabin, I haven’t been in the office for over a year because of a certain pandemic and our country’s little leverage in getting vaccines (when the shit hits the fan it doesn’t matter how rich you are)). Amazingly autopilot still manages it in about 99% of the time (not counting when heavy snow on the highway). At just the right angles and times it freaks out or slams the breaks though.

Then there’s fully grey low contrast days and I also get brake slams, but at other places under bridges and towards tunnels.

With just vision I can’t imagine how fsd would be able to get this better than us and work 100% of the time. But smart people are working on it.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
With just vision I can’t imagine how fsd would be able to get this better than us and work 100% of the time. But smart people are working on it.
Lidar is also blinded at those times.

I think it would be Tesla's plan here to leverage the cameras against each other in their all-in-one composite view for the AI. So the AI can do the human equivalent of squinting out of one eye, but with seven others.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Last edited: