Profit protection against resellers/scalpers.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3316
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6

Should Tesla implement strategies to prevent price gouging without impacting genuine res holders

• Yes, but I have a better idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

they choose a price and sell it.
is this really something you’ve spent time worrying about?
Yes, because I would like one of these as soon as I can get it but don’t want to be priced out of the offering because of greedy people.
Sponsored

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Yes, because I would like one of these as soon as I can get it but don’t want to be priced out of the offering because of greedy people.
so if they are making 30% over the cost of the product is that greedy?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Nobody is forcing Tesla to sell at a certain price except for their competition. That is the price and their resulting profit margin. They aren't entitled to "profit" either. Next we'll be indexing vehicle prices to individual income levels and asset base! 

So long every car sold, or resold is used and not parked, it's also fulfilling Teslas goals and vision to convert to sustainable energy. So there's no point in them implementing a resale impediment just for the few scalpers that are spoiling the stew.

Tesla should just deliver one reservation of a private multi order, and the second one after the first 500k or so, the third after 1m etc. For business orders they should do multiples at once in a similar considered fashion, out of a dedicated business allocation.

No resale contracts or litigation costs (thats just lawyers making money btw, not Tesla) and no unhappy customers who change their mind or can't afford it for change of circumstances.

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Tesla will make 500,000 minimum per year and may not worry about the relatively small percentage of one-off short-term reseller issues.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

so if they are making 30% over the cost of the product is that greedy?
No, they are managing their business responsibly providing a consistent ownership/sales experience for the end customer.

Not selling cars at market value just creates a space analogous to the stealership model of haggling and a generally opaque pricing structure.

I do not see any value to the end customer introducing a middleman.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
IDGAF.

Scalping does bother me, but it’s not going to be something that affects me and I doubt it will affect many people.

There are less than 20,000 Rivians on the street right now. For the first 3-6 months there was a huge premium on them. Now they are easy to chase down and the premium is about 10%. I expect the Cybertruck will be somewhat similar. The premium might be a bit more for a bit longer, but it’s unlikely people will be able to resell them for massive markups for long, the market will take care of that.

The Cybertruck is an odd duck. There are going to be a lot of buyers who get one and realize they don’t have a need for a massive truck and can’t park it. Those people deserve a way out. Lots of people will buy one for the cool factor and resell when they are bored with it. Some will go on Turo and after the higher Turo rentals go away people will want to clear their fleet (hopefully carefully).

Lots of legitimate reasons people would want to flip their truck within 18 months. People have financial problems, they move, get divorced, whatever.

Let Tesla’s existing anti-resale measures take care of it. People skimmed a bunch with the Model Y when wait lists were nearly a year long. It wasn’t a huge problem.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

Scalping does bother me, but it’s not going to be something that affects me and I doubt it will affect many people.
It affects the whole market, stealerships just normalised the scalping, taking profits that should go to the manufacturer for very little if any benefit to the customer.

There are less than 20,000 Rivians on the street right now. For the first 3-6 months there was a huge premium on them. Now they are easy to chase down and the premium is about 10%
The market for that price bracket and product is not that large.

Those people deserve a way out.
Which is why a return policy would protect against price volatility.

Lots of legitimate reasons people would want to flip their truck
Yup, which is why a return policy would protect against price volatility.

It wasn’t a huge problem.
It still is a huge problem Tesla should only need to have a 10-15% markup, they could easily sell the model 3 for $30k and still be highly profitable by industry standards but the scalping and and wait times would skyrocket.

I would much rather see Cybertruck delivered at the reveal price of $39k with an anti-flip clause than pay $70k with ability to flip it for $72.

People that genuinely want the truck for themselves shouldn’t be financially penalised for getting in early and making a reservation. A lock out clause would have no effect on them whatsoever, especially with a guaranteed buy back.

Queue jumpers can pay as much as they like in a weekly/monthly Auction without the hassle and opacity of a third party gouging the price.

The only people losing here are the ones rent seeking off Tesla ingenuity.

I say screw those leaches on society… it’s the same mentality of the scum that bought out all the hand sanitiser to sell with 1000% markup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
What is price gouging? Someone wants to pay for something how is that gouging. This term usually applies to essential items during an emergency and applying it to a luxury outside an emergency is nonsense.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Yes, this is the whole point of my post. How does Tesla retain the profit that is due to them?
I guess I miss understood your suggestion of 12 to 18 lock out period and restrictive resale clause.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

What is price gouging? Someone wants to pay for something how is that gouging. This term usually applies to essential items during an emergency and applying it to a luxury outside an emergency is nonsense.
I’m not going to get into semantics.

Scalping in antisocial skullduggery.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

Wait lists were nearly a year long.

It wasn’t a huge problem.
Can you not see the gross contradiction in this statement?
I know this is genuinely an issue of supply falling short of demand but I’d much rather see a more equitable allocation of product.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

I guess I miss understood your suggestion of 12 to 18 lock out period and restrictive resale clause.
What is your understanding?
Do you think a lease to buy only option for reservation holders would be too bitter a pill for many to swallow?

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
What is your understanding?
Do you think a lease to buy only option for reservation holders would be too bitter a pill for many to swallow?
Im not sure what you are arguing for or against lol

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I would much rather see Cybertruck delivered at the reveal price of $39k with an anti-flip clause than pay $70k with ability to flip it for $72.
There are a whole lot of assumptions built into this comment that I don’t have time to unwind right now.

The two options you list are not the only possible outcomes. It’s a false dichotomy.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.