Profit protection against resellers/scalpers.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3316
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6

Should Tesla implement strategies to prevent price gouging without impacting genuine res holders

• Yes, but I have a better idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What is price gouging? Someone wants to pay for something how is that gouging. This term usually applies to essential items during an emergency and applying it to a luxury outside an emergency is nonsense.
Price gouging is hoarding a product someone needs for a price they have no choice but to pay.

There are other ways to deal with resellers... tracking who sells, for one, making sure accounts are real people instead of fake ones, etc.

Scalpers do real harm by intercepting sales and tying up resources that could be going to happy customers and profits that could be going to the company.

And raising the initial cost reduces your potential market as first impressions are powerful.

-Crissa

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Yea, I am in a group on Facebook about Lightning classifieds..... It's ending.

2 things, or maybe 3 points.

1. Cybertruck demand is quite different, they my have some level of immunity
2. Lightnings are selling AT MSRP daily, lots of them available, even some slightly used ones. People get laughed at if marked up.
3. Seeing Lightning owners selling hardly used trucks for Rivian's or "my life is different"

My bet? They found out how much more annoying it is to park a full size truck versus a Sonata. ha

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

Your comments here feel like an appeal to the stone.

There are a whole lot of assumptions built into this comment that I don’t have time to unwind right
Yes, when discussing hypotheticals there are many assumptions.
When you do have time, I’m interested in what assumptions you object to. (The whole point of the OP)

The two options you list are not the only possible outcomes. It’s a false dichotomy.
Of course the exact numbers are not the only possibilities, the scenario is a representative spectrum of possibilities. It is not a false dichotomy.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I’m not arguing, I’m seeking an understanding by asking your opinion…
I guess i mis understood you. I think Tesla has been doing a good job of this already.. Demand is high, which leads to long waits, which leads to individuals selling cars to people whom dont want to wait, at premium prices.

So Tesla ends up raising prices.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

what a bizarre hill to die on lol
Care to elaborate? Snide ridicule is not particularly constructive, and does not contribute to civil discourse.

If the topic doesn’t interest you why engage?

Last edited by a moderator:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
15 million buys my place in line. For 15 million plus, I am OK with waiting 5 more years. (Will buy a roadster for the interim)

scalping concerts tickets is different compared to reselling a vehicle.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I just don't see the issue... Ticket scalping is different. They buy up all the tickets and resell them for higher prices. Tesla could deliver only 1 vehicle per buyer per year and who cares if the first guys immediately turn around and sell Thiers for twice as much. People didn't sign up early and don't want to wait. Next time sign up early.... Or pay more.
A bit different if someone orders 10 vehicles and sells them but it easy for Tesla to prevent that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

I guess i mis understood you. I think Tesla has been doing a good job of this already.. Demand is high, which leads to long waits, which leads to individuals selling cars to people whom dont want to wait, at premium prices.

So Tesla ends up raising prices.
What is interesting about Cybertruck is that, with the reservation system, demand is mostly understood.

What is not exactly clear from the reservations is the demand from late comers willing to absorb demand premium to be first in line, and the proportion that reserved for the first time express purpose of flipping for profit.

Tesla tries to mitigate the profit loss resultant from opportunistic leaches by raising prices above the mean, just because because high wealth individuals want to jump the queue. Those people bump up the prices for everyone.

I would much rather flatten the curve by enabling an equitable mechanism to queue jump that doesn’t make me pay more and/or drastically lengthen my place in the queue.

Would you want to pay significantly more simply for having the foresight to join a queue early?

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
The Cybertruck is an odd duck. There are going to be a lot of buyers who get one and realize they don’t have a need for a massive truck and can’t park it.
This.

I really really believe a lot of Model 3 boyz are gonna be shocked about truck OWNERSHIP.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Of course the exact numbers are not the only possibilities, the scenario is a representative spectrum of possibilities. It is not a false dichotomy.
You literally said “I’d rather This than That” and ignore the rest of the possibilities.

I would much rather see Cybertruck delivered at the reveal price of $39k with an anti-flip clause than pay $70k with ability to flip it for $72.
When you state it this way, you’ve clearly already decided that there is no C, D, E, or F. That is literally what the term false dichotomy means.

I said “IDGAF” because the answer is not that simple and most of the solutions to it are worse than the problem.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Can you not see the gross contradiction in this statement?
I know this is genuinely an issue of supply falling short of demand but I’d much rather see a more equitable allocation of product.
I don’t see what was so egregious over the past year. Worst case was you were forced to delay your gratification by a few months. The calamity.

Cybertruck is quite different. I’m pretty sure there were 250k orders placed before anyone realized how much of a smash hit it was going to be. A few big fans bought up a handful of reservations early on with various schemes or flipping in mind, but not a ton. My suspicion is our of the first 100k orders they will be delivered mostly to fans of the brand who will hang on to them.

By the time they blow through the first 100k, as we’ve seen with the other brands of trucks, used/ flipper prices will come down quickly. The situation will self correct after a few months just as it has for other vehicles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.