Profit protection against resellers/scalpers.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3316
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6

Should Tesla implement strategies to prevent price gouging without impacting genuine res holders

• Yes, but I have a better idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

Customer feelings are a separate matter.

You’ll have to explain how it is money
Tesla.

Product manufacturers are not ticket event sales, on any relevant metric.

Doesn’t having the dumbest post on the dumbest thread have a double-negative effect?

Maybe you’re the second coming of business and marketing theory, and I’m just too dumb to recognize - me along with every other manufacturing business praying for demand that outstrips supply attendant with a vibrant secondary market.

But until I’m enlightened by you, I’ll just continue being a consultant in the luxury design and manufacturing space.

Awaiting your enlightenment, I’ll prepare a condolences card to Rolex for all its lost revenue and poor business performance resulting from a decade of every model demanding a 30-100% premium in secondary markets.

Strange, though, that you’re the only one solving this for sophisticated businesses - you’d think they might of thought of these “solutions“ if they’d only recognized the problem.
Why are you bothering to interact here on this topic? Are you concerned your potential for parasitic profit is being threatened?

Your examples are disingenuous and puerile, completely ignoring the diamond/ Rolex principle of a contrived imbalance of supply and demand.

There is no contrivance in demand for Tesla product. The demand for Tesla and more specifically Cybertruck is absolutely unprecedented, so yes, it is possible Tesla have not yet prioritised this problem.

Do you think parasites provide much value in an ecosystem other than providing a forcing function for evolution?

How is parasitic profit beneficial to Tesla or it’s end users?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

Pretty sure auto sales involve tax id. So unless that guy has many ss# it would show
Again, this situation is similar but different.

The current protections are aimed at repeat offenders not at the literally thousands of people that are intending to do this once.

The effect on Teslas bottom line would be the same if one person did it thousands of times or thousands of people did it once.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

I'm not sure that there are significant enough numbers to impact Tesla pricing.
Elon has repeatedly said the price of their product is embarrassing. This is a direct correlation to the scalping problem.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

I think this would provide a great protection and sort out the parasites from potential customers.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
HELL NO!!! This is America aka a free country for now, not yet a "communist" country. Why is no one doing something about crazy dealer markups? Why aren't they doing something about people paying over $1000 for a playstation? If people willing to pay extra then it is their RIGHT!

If on the same token then the stock market has to be illegal!

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Your examples are disingenuous and puerile, completely ignoring the diamond/ Rolex principle of a contrived imbalance of supply and demand.
what on earth does it matter if the imbalance of supply/demand is contrived or “natural”?

regardless of preconditions for the imbalance, it is the fact of the imbalance itself that provides substrate for secondary markets. There is zero effective economic difference between your imagined woodworker example and Nike purposefully limiting production - from the perspective of the resulting imbalance of supply and demand. If anything, Nike is merely ATTEMPTING to have it as good as your woodworker.

maybe that’s the problem. You’re confusing your sense of subjective moral outrage with any objective economic fact about the world. Thus all your hyperbole about “parasites,” price gouging, etc.

You come across as merely butt-hurt that someone will “jump the line,” another will help them, and meanwhile threaten your precious ability to have a toy sooner than later.

These are fungible models of cars, dude - not necessities.

so yes, it is possible Tesla have not yet prioritised this problem.
Oh ok, I was kind of making a sarcastic joke - but you actually do believe you’re mentally out in front.

*backs away slowly*

Why are you bothering to interact here on this topic?
you asked for opinions, I injected that your question betrays a misunderstanding, you called me dumb.

so here we are - interneting!

I wasn’t planning on scalping my early CT reservation, but that was before I knew that by scalping I could illicit so much enjoyable butthurtedness!

Tesla will implement some modest and essentially ineffective measures to address the most egregious instances of scalping - but only as an effort to address customer satisfaction. The fact of these scalpers results in no economic loss to Tesla, and in fact the hype and hyperbole around it - such as this thread! - generates a type of marketing that is priceless.

If Tesla does more than that, it will only be because Elon read this thread, recognized @***** ’s unmatched foresight, and gives him the keys to reimagine a Tesla where no buyer is left with a hurt feeling!

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

you asked for opinions, I injected that your question betrays a misunderstanding, you called me dumb.
You are clearly quite intelligent, but the aforementioned post was/is dumb.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Ferrari…….
yes tell me more about what you think you know of Ferrari - because I’m happy to get into the ways in which Ferrari’s marketing paradigm creates only an appearance of concern for secondary sales

or did you not know that Rolex also “prohibits” secondary sales by its dealerships, “vets” customers, permits only top clients to have access to the rarest models, etc.?

cute, right?

funny how these generational corporations appear to have people thinking about this stuff! Like, professionally!

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

If anything, Nike is merely ATTEMPTING to have it as good as your woodworker.
Driving interest and demand through a contrivance in this context is merely a loss leader.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3316

yes tell me more about what you think you know of Ferrari - because I’m happy to get into the ways in which Ferrari’s marketing paradigm creates only an appearance of concern for secondary sales

or did you not know that Rolex also “prohibits” secondary sales by its dealerships, “vets” customers, permits only top clients to have access to the rarest models, etc.?

cute, right?

funny how these generational corporations appear to have people thinking about this stuff! Like, professionally!
Exactly, Ferrari and Rolex contrive a supply problem and encourage a perception of high value in the aftermarket to justify the exhorbitant profits on their exclusive products.

Tesla has an actual supply problem for a mass produced product. I am suggesting Tesla impose similar profit protection measures as businesses that contrive demand.

Please provide some justification of parasitic profit that benefits the customer…I can only think of one.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Exactly, Ferrari and Rolex contrive a supply problem and encourage a perception of high value in the aftermarket to justify the exhorbitant profits on their exclusive products.

Tesla has an actual supply problem for a mass produced product. I am suggesting Tesla impose similar profit protection measures as businesses that contrive demand.

Please provide some justification of parasitic profit that benefits the customer…I can only think of one.
it’s all besides the point

you asserted money made by vehicle scalpers is money stolen from tesla

I injected that not only is money made by scalpers not stolen from Tesla, but that such dynamics can even provide value to companies - offering Rolex, and now Ferrari, as just a few examples that have entire business models based upon it)

I was not asserting that Tesla is like Rolex, I was asserting that scalping profits are not inherently or self-evidently detrimental to profits of a company - in fact the opposite can be true

I’ve signaled a willingness to be educated to the contrary (even if couched in sarcasm), but until then I see zero basis for believing that on a net basis scalpers are depriving Tesla of any profits, much less any profits “owed” to Tesla - which is the basis of your assertion

customers feeling butthurt by scalping, is a separate topic

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
HELL NO!!! This is America aka a free country for now, not yet a "communist" country. Why is no one doing something about crazy dealer markups? Why aren't they doing something about people paying over $1000 for a playstation? If people willing to pay extra then it is their RIGHT!

If on the same token then the stock market has to be illegal!
Maybe the SEC should implement a mandatory hold for 12-18 months for your stocks purchases? 🤭 Or a lease to own model? 😂

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Driving interest and demand through a contrivance in this context is merely a loss leader.
Huh?
Loss leader is selling something below market in order to later sell something higher. Ink jet printers... Because can sell inkjet cartridges. The printer is a loss leader....
Tesla selling early vehicles at prices below what line jumpers would pay is not loss leader.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
And besides all this doesn't actually matter to you since CT not going to Australia for awhile. Or! Maybe it is. Maybe why giga Shanghai is getting 9k ton press
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.