MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
They have 8 cameras for Autopilot/ Sentry mode. They need to be affordable. Also, higher resolution cameras require a lot more processing power which also adds to the price.

Cameras and better computers are more affordable now so HW 4 will be a big upgrade.
The triple camera array in the best phone cam on the market (14 pro max) costs an estimated $220 with labor to replace which likely means parts are in the $70 range. The A15 Bionic chip comes with an entire apple tv box for $129. Its been affordable if we are to actually believe that tesla makes $9k+ per model Y
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I hope they can install much higher resolution cameras.
the sentry mode quality in my Y was laughably terrible compared to a $75 dash cam. since now Tesla is full bore camera only I think I’d feel Much safer if the input was 4k/8k instead of 2004 webcam
Probably new cameras next year. Current cameras are 1.2 megapixel (resolution approx 1280 x 960 pixel) and new cameras might be 5 megapixel (2,560 x 1,920 pixels).
Cybertruck might be first model to get the higher resolution cameras.

I agree that FSD should have better cameras. Multiple 4K or 8K is probably way too much video data for even HW4.0 to process.

--------------------------------------

Tesla Hardware 4.0 to use 5 megapixel camera, production and shipments to Tesla already started: Report
October 20, 2022
By Darryn John
https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/tesla-hardware-4-5-megapixel-camera-production-shipments-started/

--------------------------------------

The triple camera array in the best phone cam on the market (14 pro max) costs an estimated $220 with labor to replace which likely means parts are in the $70 range. The A15 Bionic chip comes with an entire apple tv box for $129. Its been affordable if we are to actually believe that tesla makes $9k+ per model Y
That might be expensive for a device that is mostly used for recreation (phone cameras).

FSD operating a couple ton vehicle around vulnerable road users or operation at high-speed is mission critical and spending another $5K for better cameras to improve the function and safety would be important to me.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla upgrades their FSD Hardware about once every 3-4 years. Each generation of FSD hardware also requires a massive amount of compute on the back end. So updating hardware every year doesn’t make sense. We are at the end of the current cycle so the hardware starts to feel a bit dated.

HW4 will be much better, but they don’t even have the CPUs for it yet. Should be coming with the Cybertruck or sooner

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don’t think Tesla actually said they are adding radar to cars at all.

There was a filing with the FCC, it didn’t say which cars it would be in or even if it would be in any cars. Maybe it’s semi only.
Sponsored