Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
At the (Castoro Cellars) whale rock music festival (benefit for my high school marching band).

Miir has a booth engraving their mugs and bottles. Laser engraver is running off outlets on the Rivian

9718D88C-43CF-44D7-92A5-9C81C279A669.jpeg

C3065197-AE24-4BC9-AC44-D78163885C8F.jpeg

2EE80267-3FAA-4389-8C96-744B8A3F3C09.jpeg

688D395A-2D9B-4BD2-83F0-8DB919D4156C.jpeg

139632A4-0325-452F-BFAC-E31F16886CEE.jpeg

Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think electrical provided by EVs will be more and more common at large venues. Power at these huge festival is unreliable and expensive. Generators are noisy, smell bad, require juggling gas cans, and have their own reliability issues. An EV which provides clean power for a weekend.

It’s a no-brainer for food carts and any kind of vendor who requires more than a little power at an event. As a bonus… camp mode!

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
i wonder if one of the stock, mandated "ev noises", that can be played is the ice cream truck song :ROFLMAO:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I remember the first rave we brought the solar panel to.

We had light all night long while the tunes sucked every drop from the noisy generator they had to tuck a campsite away so it wouldn't out compete the bass for rhythm.

And then we recharged another car's battery the next day during cleanup 'cause it wouldn't start.

That was fifteen years ago. Today's EV's are so much more capable than the battery in my Sentra was. Heck, the LFP I have in my Mazda is rated 50% more amphours than that old AGM deep-cycle was (and that AGM has since been downrated to half what it was, as people actually using lead-acid in deep cycles showed their weaknesses...)

-Crissa

Last edited:

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Fortunately for the Rivian, there is a J1772 charger (and a Tesla dest charger) right there at the winery.

I did ask them how the trip went (Seattle) and they said it was surprisingly easy and not what they had expected.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
This just makes me excited to plug welders and bench set ups into my king dorito.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
On a side note --- saw this Rivian parked at Trader Joe's, and already got damage.

Ouch Rivian.jpg

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
A 2-year-old rode into it on a tricycle.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
On a side note --- saw this Rivian parked at Trader Joe's, and already got damage.

Ouch Rivian.jpg
This panel buckle is damning evidence against Rivian design. The fact there appears no contact abrasion or point of impact is telling. It teaches that the design of the stamped metal panel is weak at a crucial point(i.e. corner). We know that to be the case because there was no surrounding metalwork that became involved with the buckle inward. It appears to buckle same, similar as does plastic bumper covers.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This panel buckle is damning evidence against Rivian design. The fact there appears no contact abrasion or point of impact is telling. It teaches that the design of the stamped metal panel is weak at a crucial point(i.e. corner). We know that to be the case because there was no surrounding metalwork that became involved with the buckle inward. It appears to buckle same, similar as does plastic bumper covers.
And it's contiguous to the roof line, which means it likely cannot be replaced.

-Crissa

Deleted member 12457

What's the big electrical box in the bed of the truck? I went to their website and couldn't find one the same color or size so this must be an older model. They don't have manuals so I couldn't determine how much power they need but the box in the bed might convert 120V to 220/240V for the laser engravers. I did see one of their models that had two boxes that looked like the one in the bed so they probably took everything apart so the laser unit was reachable.

I'd like to know how much power the Rivian had when it left.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I thought we knew the Rivian was pretty delicate already. I think one of the earlier off-roading videos showed the truck just brush against something and the panel collapsed.

Much like the Ford, I think it’s aluminum to save weight. The F150 had pretty bad problems with denting early on, but I think they improved it. That Rivian has a thin skin is not a surprise.

I’ve always thought of the Rivian as kind of a pretty boy truck. Like the guy who goes to the gym all the time and has a sculpted body but can’t really do anything productive with it.